Reason for the bengals sucktitude?

SUCKTOWN POPULATION: BENGALS  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Why do the bengals suck so much ass currently?

• Taylor is largest factor. he sucks at coaching and makes us suck, if marvin was here we would be 3-3 or better.
    • Injuries are biggest factor, if the line was healthy the offense would be rolling.
    • Lack of talent on the field. Injuries plus guys gone in FA, and so on, just not good enough to win with this roster.

16 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Very good article in the Athletic on the comparisons today to the lost decade by Mo Egger. I have a subscription so will post some of the article below but I do recommend the website even on a trial basis, great articles on all the teams and leagues you follow.

https://theathletic.com/1323606/2019/10/25/egger-bengals-mirroring-the-lost-decade-is-the-90s-reboot-no-one-wanted/

I really do not like this article at all.  No, indeed. Not a little. Nada. Zip. Bupkees.

The article, not the poster for posting it.

Unlike Shula, Zac does have the respect of the players.

Not sure for how long but they are, or were, buying into his program.

He talks and relates to them where as Shula never did.  He seemed intimidated.

Zac will question a ref.

I do not like the fact that this as an OJT year for Zac, would have preferred a product

that came out of the box with no assembly required but not down on him.  Yet.

Right now I think the biggest things facing him, besides winning some games is a major

rebuilding or overhaul of the team.   Yes, Captain Obvious's first name is Harry.

This starts immediately after the game clock hits 00 today in London.

Specifically, I want to see something happen as far as a trade.

Next, the draft and seeing what they are going to do with a high first and second rounder.

Coaching changes.  Turner, out definitely.  Re-signing Bobby Hartless and I'm still not sure

he didn't fuck with Glenn's head causing a prolonged concussion.

But Dave Shula, no.  Right now the only thing I would say to Son of Don is:

"I'll take the 12 oz Filet, medium, broccoli rather than potato and house salad with oil and vinegar.

I'm into the Keto diet thing."

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

I really do not like this article at all.  No, indeed. Not a little. Nada. Zip. Bupkees.

Zac will question a ref.

I do not like the fact that this as an OJT year for Zac, would have preferred a product

Right now I think the biggest things facing him, besides winning some games is a major

rebuilding or overhaul of the team.   Yes, Captain Obvious's first name is Harry.

Next, the draft and seeing what they are going to do with a high first and second rounder.

Coaching changes.  Turner, out definitely.  Re-signing Bobby Hartless and I'm still not sure

"I'll take the 12 oz Filet, medium, broccoli rather than potato and house salad with oil and vinegar.

How old was Mo Egger during the 90's? I'm 36 years old and can barely remember any of the 1990's. And, he's a radio host, not a journalist. Surprised he got the Athletic gig...

22 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

My point is there is hope for Zac.

He inherited a big mess & it's only 1/2 a season, but I don't like the staff he's assembled and the playcalling on offense & overall game management have been pretty bad so far.  Haven't given up on him yet but I'm not impressed either.

1 hour ago, oldschooler said:

And this strategy along with your other brilliant moves has resulted in your team having a record of 187-274-3 during your tenure as owner.   That places you at 31st above the Browns in winning percentage during that 30 year stretch.  And obviously, you are the only club without a playoff win during your ownership.

If you only want to look at this century the Bengals are 143-173-3 which puts their win percentage at 22nd.

When did the club do well during this period?  The truth is there have been a few good teams in the last 15 years but strangely enough,  in 6 of those 7 playoff seasons, the defense was the better unit on the field.  Only the 2005 club had a higher rated offense.   Looking at the defense yesterday, it is obvious Lou Anarumo has no idea what he is doing.  How can the same wide receiver run the same route over and over again and be wide open?

On 10/27/2019 at 8:28 AM, High School Harry said:

Zac will question a ref.

What kind of a trade? If they trade AJ and he goes on to light it up with another team, this team will be ripped to shreds for trading away their best player, just like they were ripped to shreds for not extending a 34 year-old LT. According to everything I've read, AJ doesn't want to be traded.   Everyone demanded a coaching change and we got one. Personally, I think ZT is in way over his head. Even Dave Shula himself didn't go 0-16. Hey...we're halfway there!  The scheme sucks. Since week 1, this team has progressively gotten worse. Lot's of people say ZT inherited garbage. He inherited a team that was 5-1 before an avalanche of key injuries. He inherited a team that had the leading rusher in the AFC, even with a putrid line last season. The defense got better last year after Austin was fired. The offense got better when Zampese was fired and Lazor took over. Some of our problems this year are injuries, but a huge proportion of it is shitty coaching.

As far as winning back the fanbase, I think you have to be way more aggressive in free agency than you have been. Show the fans you are serious about winning. 0-16 should be unacceptable to any owner. You have to get the next draft right. 

48 minutes ago, OneHeartBeat said:

What kind of a trade? If they trade AJ and he goes on to light it up with another team, this team will be ripped to shreds for trading away their best player, just like they were ripped to shreds for not extending a 34 year-old LT. According to everything I've read, AJ doesn't want to be traded.   Everyone demanded a coaching change and we got one. Personally, I think ZT is in way over his head. Even Dave Shula himself didn't go 0-16. Hey...we're halfway there!  The scheme sucks. Since week 1, this team has progressively gotten worse. Lot's of people say ZT inherited garbage. He inherited a team that was 5-1 before an avalanche of key injuries. He inherited a team that had the leading rusher in the AFC, even with a putrid line last season. The defense got better last year after Austin was fired. The offense got better when Zampese was fired and Lazor took over. Some of our problems this year are injuries, but a huge proportion of it is shitty coaching.

As far as winning back the fanbase, I think you have to be way more aggressive in free agency than you have been. Show the fans you are serious about winning. 0-16 should be unacceptable to any owner. You have to get the next draft right. 

I've said it once before, schemes and coaching is what separates bad teams from great teams.

No way you let a receiver run the same route 4 times and give up huge yardage on every catch.

Same as you have your opponent 3 and 21 inside their own 10 yard line and you give up a 22 yard run for a first down.

Lou should have been canned after that play.

1 hour ago, OneHeartBeat said:

The team wasn’t ripped to shreds for letting Whit walk, it was ripped for thinking Cedric Ogbuehi was anywhere close to an NFL caliber starting LT and could replace him.  

Also, AJ has played one game in one year, Whit has missed 2 games in 10 years due to injury.  We have some good WRs, we didn’t have anything resembling on OT when Whit left. 

The rest of what you posted I totally agree with. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

The team wasn’t ripped to shreds for letting Whit walk, it was ripped for thinking Cedric Ogbuehi was anywhere close to an NFL caliber starting LT and could replace him.  

Also, AJ has played one game in one year, Whit has missed 2 games in 10 years due to injury.  We have some good WRs, we didn’t have anything resembling on OT when Whit left. 

The rest of what you posted I totally agree with. 

Hindsight is always 20/20. I can't fault the Bengals for not extending 34 year old Whit. They thought they had his replacement. There's no way to know that they had whiffed in advance, but the Bengals aren't the only team that whiffs. What you can blame on the FO, and the coaching staff, because I'm sure they have more say than we realize, is not finding a suitable stop gap for Jonah Williams, the consistent failure to address LB.

The hardest part for me is just watching the shitty coaching. There's no sense of urgency from this team. Even when they're still in the game, they huddle up, let time run down, and run the ball for no gain. Pathetic. 

The reason for sucking is Andy Dalton.

If Mahomes was on this team, we would likely be 4-3.  If it was Lemar, maybe 3-4. 

Sure Marvin might be a better coach, but who cares.  Only a stupid fan is rooting for wins at this point.  And Bengaldom is filled with dumb fans. 

44 minutes ago, OneHeartBeat said:

Hindsight is always 20/20. I can't fault the Bengals for not extending 34 year old Whit. They thought they had his replacement. There's no way to know that they had whiffed in advance, but the Bengals aren't the only team that whiffs. What you can blame on the FO, and the coaching staff, because I'm sure they have more say than we realize, is not finding a suitable stop gap for Jonah Williams, the consistent failure to address LB.

The hardest part for me is just watching the shitty coaching. There's no sense of urgency from this team. Even when they're still in the game, they huddle up, let time run down, and run the ball for no gain. Pathetic. 

They drafted the healing Oogie in 2015.  He played toward the end of that season and most of 2016.  Everyone in the football world knew that Oogie sucked except the Bengals FO who saw him play for a season and a half and still thought they had found Whit's replacement and let Whit walk in 2017.  There was no hindsight to it.  By Oogies last season he didn't dress on game day.  You are correct that every team misses in the draft.  But it is down right idiotic to keep someone just to be a practice dummy.  

1 hour ago, tibor75 said:

The reason for sucking is Andy Dalton.

If Mahomes was on this team, we would likely be 4-3.  If it was Lemar, maybe 3-4. 

Sure Marvin might be a better coach, but who cares.  Only a stupid fan is rooting for wins at this point.  And Bengaldom is filled with dumb fans. 

I love this guy. Don't ever change. :grin-min:

37 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

They drafted the healing Oogie in 2015.  He played toward the end of that season and most of 2016.  Everyone in the football world knew that Oogie sucked except the Bengals FO who saw him play for a season and a half and still thought they had found Whit's replacement and let Whit walk in 2017.  There was no hindsight to it.  By Oogies last season he didn't dress on game day.  You are correct that every team misses in the draft.  But it is down right idiotic to keep someone just to be a practice dummy.  

Exactly.  I can still remember heated debate about Ced with some saying the coaches know better than us and they obviously see something in practice we fans don’t get to see. That was 100% wrong.  

In fact, Ced was actually worse than most of us thought.  2015 2nd round pick Jake Fisher is already out of the league after robbing the Bengals of $4.2 million, Ced stole $10 mil. Glenn, $20 mil so far. Monumental whiffs. 

What a crapshoot "talent evaluation" in choosing players is. I can still recall St. Andrew being called a "waste of a pick" his first years. He got better, yeah? 

On paper, Ced and Fisher both were very good prospects. Ced anchored a T A&M line that was upper tier in running the ball. Knee was a concern, but every indicator had his ceiling sky high. Fisher was a cornerstone on the Mariotta-led Oregon line. They were going to be chosen at or around where they were drafted by someone. They bombed, but we notice because they both bombed here. 

The travesty, was not that they bombed, but that no steps were taken to obtain adequate replacements earlier. Price and Williams--who both may still pan out--were attempts to close the barn door after the horses have left. 

12 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

What a crapshoot "talent evaluation" in choosing players is. I can still recall St. Andrew being called a "waste of a pick" his first years. He got better, yeah? 

On paper, Ced and Fisher both were very good prospects. Ced anchored a T A&M line that was upper tier in running the ball. Knee was a concern, but every indicator had his ceiling sky high. Fisher was a cornerstone on the Mariotta-led Oregon line. They were going to be chosen at or around where they were drafted by someone. They bombed, but we notice because they both bombed here. 

The travesty, was not that they bombed, but that no steps were taken to obtain adequate replacements earlier. Price and Williams--who both may still pan out--were attempts to close the barn door after the horses have left. 

I agree they were good on paper. 2 years later it was obvious they were not good. 

Archived