Whit believed in Dalton from the start

On 10/24/2019 at 3:57 PM, PatternMaster said:

Can't believe this organization tried to low-ball Whit. What he meant to the locker room and the other players was invaluable.

The downfall of the Bengals can be traced to when they let Whit walk over a few dollars.

I think it started before then.  I know I keep saying that Marvin lost all credibility in the locker room when Redeemer forced him to bring back Slim.  If ever there was a guy who needed a little "tough love" & a year outside the game to get his priorities in order.. But aside from the disservice to Henry as a person, it told every player on the team that Marvin couldn't cut them if they were favorties of Father Brown.  

Of course losing Whit was monumental but it wasn't that one single thing.  Missing on both Ogbuehi & Fisher made it seem much worse than it should have been (though still clueless & shortsighted at best.)  Every one of those consecutive playoff fiascos wouild've been good enough reason to start pruning for most teams.  The 2015 WC loss was like a giant flashing neon billboard telling them their way of doing things had failed entirely but they kept digging.  

2 hours ago, BengalsOwn said:

Andrew Whitworth is defying logic with his career post Bengals. I still don't have a problem with my team letting a 34? year old at the time offensive linemen who was expecting to be paid top tackle money walk in free agency. It just didn't make sense. If he became injured like Willie Anderson and we were blowing a large percentage of our salary cap on him, he would be vilified (like Willie was)

It's easy to use hindsight and say they fucked up. Clearly we would be in a better spot with him. 

I agree with this unpopular opinion. I had no issue with the Bengals making a one year offer. The guy was 11 years in and 34 years old. Good for him for what he's done but, I can't hammer them for this. The Bengals had traditionally been vilified for being TOO faithful to players carrying them well past their expiry date.

The reality is, the beginning of the end came when the Bengals absolutely shit the bed in the 2015 draft.  

19 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I agree with this unpopular opinion. I had no issue with the Bengals making a one year offer. The guy was 11 years in and 34 years old. Good for him for what he's done but, I can't hammer them for this. The Bengals had traditionally been vilified for being TOO faithful to players carrying them well past their expiry date.

The reality is, the beginning of the end came when the Bengals absolutely shit the bed in the 2015 draft.  

Everyone misses on draft picks sometimes.  The important thing is to recognize when you've missed.

They should've fired the scouting department.  :ninja:

lol, wasnt whitworth the one who said "carson palmer isnt going to come through that door and save us:" when andy took over... 

also i hate that he left, but paying huge cash to a 10+ year veteran lineman can be risky. and at the time the jason peters and huge HUGE money LT game was at its peak, it sucke,d we should have offered more... but not many players that have 10 years of miles on them are a sure thing to give big cash to

8 hours ago, BengalsOwn said:

Andrew Whitworth is defying logic with his career post Bengals. I still don't have a problem with my team letting a 34? year old at the time offensive linemen who was expecting to be paid top tackle money walk in free agency. It just didn't make sense. If he became injured like Willie Anderson and we were blowing a large percentage of our salary cap on him, he would be vilified (like Willie was)

It's easy to use hindsight and say they fucked up. Clearly we would be in a better spot with him. 

I read he wasn't really looking for top LT money, just a fair deal. As it turned out, MB spent more money on different replacements that blew chunks. Sad.

I believed in Dalton too until that wildcard game in Indy. 

Can't even watch anymore because I'm so sick of seeing Dalton. No matter how good he does or doesn't, 9 years is just too dam long. It's no fun at all watching Dalton under center for this team.  

If we're only gonna get 3 - 9 points a game might as well put bozo the clown back there or someone who is slightly entertaining to watch.  Fuck this shit. Dalton so lame so boring. I'd rather watch Nascar or golf!!!

19 hours ago, GoBengals said:

lol, wasnt whitworth the one who said "carson palmer isnt going to come through that door and save us:" when andy took over... 

also i hate that he left, but paying huge cash to a 10+ year veteran lineman can be risky. and at the time the jason peters and huge HUGE money LT game was at its peak, it sucke,d we should have offered more... but not many players that have 10 years of miles on them are a sure thing to give big cash to

Yeah, I would agree more with you if they had even a decent replacement for him on the squad.  The decision to go with Cedric and Fisher was simply a multiple season killer for the offense.   Also, the answer of Bobby Hart and Andre Smith was one of utter laziness. 

I totally agree with your assessment of Whit and Dalton.  Whit was doing what any good team leader would do in supporting Dalton and he probably had way more inside information in regards to Palmer.   There is a difference in Believing in someone and Supporting someone.  I imagine Whit hasn't believed in Dalton since Dalton pissed himself against San Diego in the playoffs with 3 straight turnovers in the 2nd half which basically ended the game.  

14 hours ago, SF2 said:

Yeah, I would agree more with you if they had even a decent replacement for him on the squad.  The decision to go with Cedric and Fisher was simply a multiple season killer for the offense.   Also, the answer of Bobby Hart and Andre Smith was one of utter laziness. 

I totally agree with your assessment of Whit and Dalton.  Whit was doing what any good team leader would do in supporting Dalton and he probably had way more inside information in regards to Palmer.   There is a difference in Believing in someone and Supporting someone.  I imagine Whit hasn't believed in Dalton since Dalton pissed himself against San Diego in the playoffs with 3 straight turnovers in the 2nd half which basically ended the game.  

I'll never forget that game, that's when he scrambled, fell, and fumbled without being touched... classic Andy.

Archived