Bengals say No Trades

16 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

..or maybe they're just trying to play hardball with a handful of kitten fur?  Either way it makes this organization sound even more like a Titanic in search of her iceberg.

Damn sad.  Don't get me wrong I would hate to see Green, Atkins, Dunlap or others move on but the Bengals need to do a serious rebuild and need as much draft capital as they can get.  I know many will say they do not draft well.  That is true.  But if I am throwing darts at the board I would rather try to hit the bullseye with 10 or 15 darts than just 7.

They need to move a number of players for picks. The needs are too high and there isn't enough ammunition. The window has closed for guys like Green, Dunlap and Atkins. Glenn needs to go, plain and simple. Eifert would be another player prime for a trade. They should be unloading as many guys as the can.

Just now, Bunghole said:

So it's not so much that "hey we don't want to trade" it's more "nobody is stupid enough to seriously consider our loopy demands"

At least partially this, but I also think Mikey sees the jersey sales going out the door.  Everything the guy does is based on the bottom line, to a fault.  He knows winning isn't going to bring any money in now (or in the near future) so all he's got is "the stars" and the loyalty of nostalgic or homer-ish consumers.

10 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

So it's not so much that "hey we don't want to trade" it's more "nobody is stupid enough to seriously consider our loopy demands"

Yeh well they didn't even want to trade you anyway so who cares they have all the pudding they want at home :33:

i have no idea why people think you must completely rebuild?

what does the team need help with?

Qb: thats one pick. especially with this upcoming class, that could be a fucking third round pick.

O-Line - we already have the LT in Jonah Williams, a couple other injuries and solid young prospects, wanna add another one? fine, FA or a 2nd rounder. done.

LB: we have two role players and need a star. first round pick grab Chase Young, he rushed from LB spot sometimes already, dont wanna move him? fine, trade back for a mid first and extra second, grab Murrey, Kinley and Moses with the first, and 2 2nd rounders.. thats a linemen, db and linemen. 

not wanting to sell off your talent to vultures over a tank ass season is smart football.

hows that endless rebuilding working for the dolhpins? browns? bills? jags?

asidw from a slightly bright season here or there its been a nightmare ...

wasting a decade on dalton doesnt mean the team needs blown up, its just time to start wasting that time. and the new QB will need weapons, the defense just needs a few peices replaced.

19 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

Qb: thats one pick. especially with this upcoming class, that could be a fucking third round pick.

O-Line - we already have the LT in Jonah Williams, a couple other injuries and solid young prospects, wanna add another one? fine, FA or a 2nd rounder. done.

LB: we have two role players and need a star. first round pick grab Chase Young, he rushed from LB spot sometimes already, dont wanna move him? fine, trade back for a mid first and extra second, grab Murrey, Kinley and Moses with the first, and 2 2nd rounders.. thats a linemen, db and linemen. 

not wanting to sell off your talent to vultures over a tank ass season is smart football.

wasting a decade on dalton doesnt mean the team needs blown up, its just time to start wasting that time. and the new QB will need weapons, the defense just needs a few peices replaced.

And WR and DB and TE

8 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

And WR and DB and TE

Ill buy TE.  Clay, Hooper, Ebron, Henry, all free agents, i dont know the draft as far as TE's but keeping eifert would be cheap and its said it takes a year to totally recover from a mangled leg so worst case i can live with that... but dropping daltons cash pays for any TWO of those te's i listed who are free agents. would love to have hunter henry.

WR could fine if we are keeping green, but also there is a wonderland of WR talent in the draft as well, 3rd, 4th, even th round guys who can easily be a good #2-3. 

DB, not too concerned here, we are playing a fuckass zone coverage scheme with LB liabilities all over the place(because of said linebacker liabilities)..  5/11 defenders, including our top 3 starting DBs are on the injury report. im just going to assume that wont still be the case in 9 months....

Good teams are always in rebuilding mode although for many its more like "remodeling" mode.  #TeamsliketheBengals either keep players past their prime because they still have some dead money attached to their contract or even worse give a new multiyear to a declining player based on what he did 2-3 years ago.

2 hours ago, GoBengals said:

You're delusional

2 hours ago, GoBengals said:

We’re 0-8 dude. We need a lot more help than you’re admitting. 

57 minutes ago, B.A.B. said:

We’re 0-8 dude. We need a lot more help than you’re admitting. 

Not really, draft another o lineman, get one in FA and draft the QB of the future just like in 2003.  By the 3rd season we will be a wild card team again.  Figure 2022.  

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Not really, draft another o lineman, get one in FA and draft the QB of the future just like in 2003.  By the 3rd season we will be a wild card team again.  Figure 2022.  

Better throw a linebacker in there somewhere.

I bet a lot of this No Trade stance has more to do with Mike Brown seeing some of the impacts of our former players at other teams (Whitworth, Burkhead, Sanu, Marvin Jones, Zeitler). Remember, once upon good old Mikey Boy used the excuse that he'd rather re-sign our own talent than bring in high priced FA. Even though he's clearly proven that he is incapable of keeping/rewarding our own talent, he's probably playing hard ball out of fear that our talent could propel other teams to levels he couldn't while they were here. I bet it's all about personal stubbornness with Mike why these guys aren't on the trading block - and ultimately, that will continue our futility. We aren't going to win anything the next 2-3 years, so why not trade in your chips regardless the perception, and start a rebuild with a clear cut strategy, one that is transparent to fans - we are the ones he will have to win over first of all.

What I don't get are the fans that:

1.) Want them to trade good players for draft picks

and

2.) Don't trust the Bengals to draft good players as replacements

It makes zero sense to me.  You should be praying that they don't trade guys like Green, Dunlap, Atkins, and Eifert and that instead they keep them for as long as possible because they won't be able to replace them.  I think I'm actually with Go on this one.

14 minutes ago, BBR said:

What I don't get are the fans that:

1.) Want them to trade good players for draft picks

and

2.) Don't trust the Bengals to draft good players as replacements

It makes zero sense to me.  You should be praying that they don't trade guys like Green, Dunlap, Atkins, and Eifert and that instead they keep them for as long as possible because they won't be able to replace them.  I think I'm actually with Go on this one.

Green has 1 catch for 7 yards over the last 16 games. 

Our d line barely touched Goff yesterday, good teams have no problem blocking our front 4. 

Eifert is a very average TE. His better days are behind him. 

Falling in love with old players is the WORST thing you can do in the NFL other than at QB. 

hqdefault.jpg

Sure "draft capital" and all that...but if the few good players on the team are not worth chopped liver in terms of real capital--like 1st's and 2nd's--what would be the point? All of the speculation that AJ would get a first "for certain" is subjective at best. 

If Eifert would net a 3rd, take it. Otherwise, use your position-favorable draft picks in the first 3 rounds-- and get at least 3 very good players. This mess isn't going to get repaired in one year anyway.  

I'm not in the camp that says trade your best players just because we're out of it.  That said, I would listen to offers and be willing to do it for the right deal.  Green is a tough call, IMO.  He's been injured 3 of the past 4 seasons and he's on the wrong side of 30.  He's also a free agent next year and the top WR market is pricey, especially for an older guy with a very real injury history.  I can see the logic in moving him because 1)he might leave next year anyway and 2) he will carry significant risk and cost if he stays.  Some of the other guys should be no brainers, like Glenn, Eifert, Dre, or Dennard.  I wouldn't give them away, but those guys are all either overpaid or free agents next year.  I'm not sure any of the four will be back next year even if not traded.  

On 10/27/2019 at 12:48 PM, HavePityPlease said:

At least partially this, but I also think Mikey sees the jersey sales going out the door.  Everything the guy does is based on the bottom line, to a fault.  He knows winning isn't going to bring any money in now (or in the near future) so all he's got is "the stars" and the loyalty of nostalgic or homer-ish consumers.

Probably true.  We have the dumbest fans in the league.  If they win even one game, fans will return to Paul Brown, lemons that they are.

Archived