Bengals say No Trades

On 10/27/2019 at 1:44 PM, GoBengals said:

i have no idea why people think you must completely rebuild?

what does the team need help with?

Qb: thats one pick. especially with this upcoming class, that could be a fucking third round pick.

O-Line - we already have the LT in Jonah Williams, a couple other injuries and solid young prospects, wanna add another one? fine, FA or a 2nd rounder. done.

LB: we have two role players and need a star. first round pick grab Chase Young, he rushed from LB spot sometimes already, dont wanna move him? fine, trade back for a mid first and extra second, grab Murrey, Kinley and Moses with the first, and 2 2nd rounders.. thats a linemen, db and linemen. 

not wanting to sell off your talent to vultures over a tank ass season is smart football.

hows that endless rebuilding working for the dolhpins? browns? bills? jags?

asidw from a slightly bright season here or there its been a nightmare ...

wasting a decade on dalton doesnt mean the team needs blown up, its just time to start wasting that time. and the new QB will need weapons, the defense just needs a few peices replaced.

I agree with almost everything you say here except that this draft class for QBs is not that great.

15 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Dolphins to get Talib and a 5th from LA for an "undisclosed future pick". 

Thought they were sellers?  

I won't be surprised if they deal him before 4pm.   Sounds crazy but LA had to clear cap space to sign Ramsey.  Dolphins front office having to replace the toner in their fax machine twice this week.

1 hour ago, SouthPaw said:

Even though I am well aware and have been since talks have started, I still cant believe these clown fucks are going to let this deadline come and go without moving anyone, primarily Green.  He is just going to walk.  Its simple amazing the ineptitude this organization shows year after year.  Never seen someone so stubborn (maybe Dan Snyder?), but now im also starting to realize, hes also dumb.  

Green has also said he doesn't want to be traded. I think you only trade your best player if it's an offer you can't refuse. He still has 3-4 good years left.

1 minute ago, OneHeartBeat said:

Green has also said he doesn't want to be traded. I think you only trade your best player if it's an offer you can't refuse. He still has 3-4 good years left.

Listen, if he was going to resign, then by all means keep him for the next 3-4 years.  He is walking after this year.  I'll be shocked otherwise.  

20 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

How do you not trade Glenn and Dalton and Eifert?

Eifert I could see since the cap space is very small.  Glenn and Dalton were issues for most teams and Dalton was probably not a thought until he was benched. 

14 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Eifert I could see since the cap space is very small.  Glenn and Dalton were issues for most teams and Dalton was probably not a thought until he was benched. 

Or they didn't want to announce the benching until trade talks broke down. 

Shower thought: Why does Mike Brown, who places such a low value on players financially, believe that they are worth so much when trading them? I mean, Whitworth wasn't worth signing for more than a year at a time, but Mikey wants 2 first round picks in the trade. Andy had to be signed to a team friendly contract because he wasn't that good, but we won't trade him for less than a second rounder when he sucks and is 4 years older.

The Bengals could get a first-round pick for injured receiver A.J. Green -- an unrestricted free agent at season's end who won't be back there -- but owner Mike Brown refuses to entertain the idea, sources said. The Bengals were also getting repeated calls about Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap, Tyler Eifert and Dre Kirkpatrick, sources said, but at this point some general managers aren't even sure if they're going to check back in next week given the way the Bengals have responded to this point.

"They are basically philosophically opposed to the idea of making trades," said one NFC GM. "It's a waste of time to call them. But we did. And it is what it is. You may as well be speaking a different language."

6 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I would have thought Cordy Glenn was worth at least a 7th round pick to somebody. Maybe a 6th. But Mike Brown was probably afraid Glenn would make the team look bad by playing better for someone else.

His cap number and fragile nature scared everyone away. We probably could not give him away. 

35 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

So is the coach going to keep him benched too...so as to "send a jolt to the locker room"?

Releasing him would send the appropriate message but they are on the hook for $9.5 mil in cap space next year.  Maybe restructure and buyout his contract. 

17 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Or they didn't want to announce the benching until trade talks broke down. 

Shower thought: Why does Mike Brown, who places such a low value on players financially, believe that they are worth so much when trading them? I mean, Whitworth wasn't worth signing for more than a year at a time, but Mikey wants 2 first round picks in the trade. Andy had to be signed to a team friendly contract because he wasn't that good, but we won't trade him for less than a second rounder when he sucks and is 4 years older.

because he is a fucking idiot who is  terrible at owning/running a football team.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

There is plenty of cap space around the league for teams to take on someone like Glenn. If he's a team's starting LT, that's probably worth 9 mil. If he gets beat out for the job in camp, they cut him with no money owed. His contract isn't guaranteed.

Sure there is AFTER the season is over and the cap resets to infinity.  You can have a billion dollars worth of salary during training camp.

It is when you publish your 53 man roster including the PUP/IR guys that you must be under the cap. You must stay under the cap the entire NFL season which ends after the Super Bowl. 

Adding Glenn now means you assume his current contract. It would add $14.2 mil to your current cap number AND you are taking on his $11.5 mil DEAD cap number for next year for a guy who doesn’t play much and has concussion issues.  

It’s why I was laughing when people said AJ Green should go to the Patriots. They currently have $5 mil in cap space, that is $10 mil short. 

6 hours ago, SF2 said:

Sure there is AFTER the season is over and the cap resets to infinity.  You can have a billion dollars worth of salary during training camp.

It is when you publish your 53 man roster including the PUP/IR guys that you must be under the cap. You must stay under the cap the entire NFL season which ends after the Super Bowl. 

Adding Glenn now means you assume his current contract. It would add $14.2 mil to your current cap number AND you are taking on his $11.5 mil DEAD cap number for next year for a guy who doesn’t play much and has concussion issues.  

It’s why I was laughing when people said AJ Green should go to the Patriots. They currently have $5 mil in cap space, that is $10 mil short. 

Um, it's clear you don't know much about how the NFL salary cap works. 25 of the 32 teams have sufficient cap space to carry Glenn's contract the rest of this season. He's already been paid his roster bonus and his salary is 7.25 mil. A new team would owe him 9/17 of that or 3.84 mil. If he is traded, there is no dead money on his contract. Buffalo already took it when they traded him to the Bengals. His contract for next year isn't guaranteed so he would cost a team nothing if cut before week 1. 

Archived