Mid Season Rant 0-9

54 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

If we draft 2nd, I fully expect someone to take Tua, then the Bengals take Herbert. 

If we draft second and someone takes Tuna,

I would love to see the Bengals jump all over Chase Young.

Trade up their high second rounder and go for either

Herbert or Barrow, whichever slides a bit.

Barrow scares me a bit because he is having a spectacular year but

the previous ones, while not shabby, make me concerned (Akili?)

Maybe our second and Andy for another team's first and maybe a third.

Higher if possible, but I doubt it.  I don't see anyone giving up a second round pick

for Andy in the off season.

If we could turn it into Chase Young and one of the Big Three quarterbacks and unload

Andy rather than cutting him, yes, please.

6 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

If we draft second and someone takes Tuna,

I would love to see the Bengals jump all over Chase Young.

Trade up their high second rounder and go for either

Herbert or Barrow, whichever slides a bit.

Barrow scares me a bit because he is having a spectacular year but

the previous ones, while not shabby, make me concerned (Akili?)

Maybe our second and Andy for another team's first and maybe a third.

Higher if possible, but I doubt it.  I don't see anyone giving up a second round pick

for Andy in the off season.

If we could turn it into Chase Young and one of the Big Three quarterbacks and unload

Andy rather than cutting him, yes, please.

Most GM's would think like that. But for Dufus Tobin and the Tree Sloth that is way way too much strategy and thinking. Better to stay put. 

Article in the Athletic today on our 'elite' Defense:

https://theathletic.com/1355929/2019/11/06/this-week-in-bengals-exploring-the-root-issue-causing-historic-defensive-futility/

The linebackers continue to be a trainwreck that has this defense completely toothless for the second straight season. The position is likely to be gutted in the offseason after the Bengals placed a bet the young players on the team would ascend and take steps toward credibility. The opposite occurred.

They are learning why the linebacker market exploded this year with setting a new value of 50 percent more than the previous high. You will be roasted if you don’t have linebackers capable of chasing and covering in this era.

That brings us to the latest in a long line of incredible, impossible, damning stats surrounding this team. Everyone spends all day complaining about the offensive line, trades, the QB switch and coaching, but this defense has gone under the radar for how bad it’s been.

They have now given up at least 460 yards of offense in four consecutive games. 

How many times has that happened to any team in the Super Bowl Era? Twice – one, currently by this year’s Bengals.

The other instance? Last year’s Bengals.

That means if Baltimore racks up 460 yards of offense on Sunday at Paul Brown Stadium it will mark the first time in the 100-year history of the NFL a defense allowed that many yards in five straight games.

12 hours ago, sparky151 said:

If we draft 2nd, I fully expect someone to take Tua, then the Bengals take Herbert. 

That would be fine with me. No one really knows which player would be best choice - I certainly don't.

What I do know is that given the opportunity to get a big decision wrong, the Bengals front office will usually do it. I feel more confident in success if another team picking before us takes the decision out of the Bengals hands.

58 minutes ago, Go Tory Go! said:

That would be fine with me. No one really knows which player would be best choice - I certainly don't.

What I do know is that given the opportunity to get a big decision wrong, the Bengals front office will usually do it. I feel more confident in success if another team picking before us takes the decision out of the Bengals hands.

That's sort of the point. Herbert isn't a great prospect but he fits the profile Mike Brown likes to draft. So someone else takes Tua. At that point we should take Young if going BPA or Burrow if looking for a QB. But we'll pick Herbert. 

If we pick second that actually would take some of the pressure and drama off.

Plus it would mean we would not have had a winless season.

If we pick second, Young or Tua, whichever was not taken first.

I'm thinking whomever picks second, if not us, will do the same thing.

If we pick third, I would trade down a bit and look at the options.

Probably Herbert or Burrow but I think that is a shade high for both.

Could get one or the other or have the pick of either if we draft around 5.

If both gone, look O line or Linebacker and think quarterback in round two.

24 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

If we pick second that actually would take some of the pressure and drama off.

Plus it would mean we would not have had a winless season.

If we pick second, Young or Tua, whichever was not taken first.

I'm thinking whomever picks second, if not us, will do the same thing.

If we pick third, I would trade down a bit and look at the options.

Probably Herbert or Burrow but I think that is a shade high for both.

Could get one or the other or have the pick of either if we draft around 5.

If both gone, look O line or Linebacker and think quarterback in round two.

Still a lot of college football to be played.  Burrow might be the number 1 pick or a second rounder after it all plays out.  Same with Herbert.   I still think Tua is hands down the best QB but I thought Darnold was the can't miss QB 2 years ago.  Never thought Jackson would be the guy everyone was talking about at this point. 

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

Still a lot of college football to be played.  Burrow might be the number 1 pick or a second rounder after it all plays out.  Same with Herbert.   I still think Tua is hands down the best QB but I thought Darnold was the can't miss QB 2 years ago.  Never thought Jackson would be the guy everyone was talking about at this point. 

Agree. I just really hope we don't experience the dreaded "bounce" and the team thinks it's all rainbows and lollipops, and we end up in shitty draft position. If we end up with the 1st pick, I don't know how you pass up on Chase Young. I also think Tua is the best QB in this class.  The team HAS GOT to attempt to improve the OL and LB in free agency. 

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

That is why the Draft is the ultimate

tenor.gif

but since they don't believe in FA, it's really all we've got as fans. 

and I don't care how important the QB position is, if they take Hebert over Chase Young they're f'ing idiots. 

23 hours ago, SF2 said:

Big day today.  I didn't realize that this was the Saturday they were playing.  Already have movie matinee tix and dinner reservations.  If not, I would for sure watch it and I rarely watch college football.

Chris Roling 

November 7, 2019 10:12 am ET

Like any other NFL team, the Cincinnati Bengals need to have a convoy of personnel at this weekend’s clash between the LSU Tigers and Alabama Crimson Tide, which is the feature broadcast for ESPN’s College Gameday and potentially getting a visit from President Donald Trump.

But for the 0-8 Bengals it’s all about the talent on the field. A potential top-two pick means a chance at the next franchise passer. And premium slotting in all seven rounds means multiple chances at the prospects playing in this game.And there are a lot of them.

It starts with the top quarterbacks. Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa is a talented improv artist who has completed more than 74 percent of his passes with 27 touchdowns and just two picks. LSU’s Joe Burrow, a fast-riser this year, has completed more than 78 percent of his passes with 30 touchdowns and just four picks.

It hardly stops there. Both teams offer droves of elite wideout talent. That’s not a need in Cincinnati necessarily, but it doesn’t hurt to know. Alabama defensive lineman Raekwon Davis is a top senior and linebackers Anfernee Jennings and Dylan Moses could be difference-makers at the next level. LSU offers high defensive upside in the form of safety Grant Delpit and others.

Seeing as this SEC matchup is essentially an All-Star game again, the Bengals can’t do their own thing like usual and miss out.

This isn’t any ordinary game from an NFL perspective and it isn’t one NFL staff can just get the temperature of via film only. The small scouting staff, headed up by director of player personnel Duke Tobin, have likely had it circled in red on the calendar just like the rest of the NFL.

Given the quarterbacks alone, rest assured plenty of Bengals fans will have an eye on it, too.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Big day today.  I didn't realize that this was the Saturday they were playing.  Already have movie matinee tix and dinner reservations.  If not, I would for sure watch it and I rarely watch college football.

Chris Roling 

November 7, 2019 10:12 am ET

Like any other NFL team, the Cincinnati Bengals need to have a convoy of personnel at this weekend’s clash between the LSU Tigers and Alabama Crimson Tide, which is the feature broadcast for ESPN’s College Gameday and potentially getting a visit from President Donald Trump.

But for the 0-8 Bengals it’s all about the talent on the field. A potential top-two pick means a chance at the next franchise passer. And premium slotting in all seven rounds means multiple chances at the prospects playing in this game.And there are a lot of them.

It starts with the top quarterbacks. Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa is a talented improv artist who has completed more than 74 percent of his passes with 27 touchdowns and just two picks. LSU’s Joe Burrow, a fast-riser this year, has completed more than 78 percent of his passes with 30 touchdowns and just four picks.

It hardly stops there. Both teams offer droves of elite wideout talent. That’s not a need in Cincinnati necessarily, but it doesn’t hurt to know. Alabama defensive lineman Raekwon Davis is a top senior and linebackers Anfernee Jennings and Dylan Moses could be difference-makers at the next level. LSU offers high defensive upside in the form of safety Grant Delpit and others.

Seeing as this SEC matchup is essentially an All-Star game again, the Bengals can’t do their own thing like usual and miss out.

This isn’t any ordinary game from an NFL perspective and it isn’t one NFL staff can just get the temperature of via film only. The small scouting staff, headed up by director of player personnel Duke Tobin, have likely had it circled in red on the calendar just like the rest of the NFL.

Given the quarterbacks alone, rest assured plenty of Bengals fans will have an eye on it, too.

The Bengals' scouting department will finally upgrade to a 42-inch HDTV.

14 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Except we have an old Mailbu for personnel not a convoy

Dont worry, its got bench seats.  We used to fit 6 in there easily.   Figure a driver, both Bengals scouts and some road sodas.

spacer.png

On 11/5/2019 at 8:41 AM, SouthPaw said:

The team won 19 games over the past three years prior to this one.  Going ofer is not a good look at all, but its hardly all on Zac Taylor.  This team has been in 6 of its 8 losses and just can not make the plays, hence the sign of a bad team as well as one with an impossible amount of injuries.  IMPOSSIBLE AMOUNT.  This thing definitely needs more time.  By this time next year, Whether its Finley or Tua/Burrow, whoever, with a more healthy team (hopefully), if they are sitting at 0-8, then its time to start thinking about the next move.  Regardless, they have to do what they are doing at this current moment.  As much as it sucks for Andy, it only makes sense.  As Marcus Spears put it, the NFL doesnt care about your feelings.    

Well said.

Archived