ITS OVER - DALTON BENCHED

I find this really odd/jarring considering his history... Hobson is throwing Finley under the bus big time:

"And even on Boyd’s fumble, if maybe Finley had led him ever so slightly more and a tad further away from rookie linebacker Devin Bush, maybe?"

Blaming the QB for the receiver fumbling the ball after the catch?  WTF is this?  Later:

"Finley, who looked like he was tipping the Bengals to the Jake Dolegala Era, had just 39 yards passing."

Calling for the third stringer to start now?  After 3 games?  Huh?

Anyone care to explain?  It's not good enough to say Finley deserves criticism (obviously he does), because this is Hobson (and in true Hobson fashion, his arguments are incoherent and stupid - where there are plenty of perfectly reasonable arguments to be made - and rather than call for the actual proven NFL QB on the roster to start, he's calling for the third stringer?).

Maybe Finley has given Geoff the cold shoulder, and Geoff isn't dealing?  Maybe Mikey has given Geoff orders to make sure the fan base "wants a QB" in the draft?  Fuck if I know, but I'm sure looking forward to more entertainingly stupid articles from Hobson regarding the QB situation.

13 hours ago, cnbengal said:

Well I guess all you Dalton haters are pleased with Finlay. He's doing oh so much better, I don't know why we didn't do this years ago.

His benching wasn't about Finley being better, it was about seeing what he had and, frankly, them trying to lose. There is no way that starting Finley over Dalton is about trying to win. 

22 minutes ago, membengal said:

His benching wasn't about Finley being better, it was about seeing what he had and, frankly, them trying to lose. There is no way that starting Finley over Dalton is about trying to win. 

Agreed.  Everyone should be able to see this.  It was a highly likely move for an 0-8 team.  With that, Finley is God awful, so the Bengals are accomplishing both things.  They need a new quarterback and will most certainly secure the first pick to be able to do so.  

If anything, Dalton being benched and them burning 3 losses on Finley gives me a little more optimism. It at least is a plan - maximizing their chances at getting to the #1 overall pick. All for it. Keep on making it hard to win, front office and coaching staff. #1 is in site, now.

3 hours ago, membengal said:

Agreed.  If they had wanted to win yesterday, they would have put Dalton in the game.  

8 hours ago, membengal said:

If anything, Dalton being benched and them burning 3 losses on Finley gives me a little more optimism. It at least is a plan - maximizing their chances at getting to the #1 overall pick. All for it. Keep on making it hard to win, front office and coaching staff. #1 is in site, now.

I think you're giving them too much credit.   They aren't sucking on purpose, this team really is that bad.   They were winless with Dalton, they didn't need to do anything special to go on losing.   Don't let them pretend it was some 3d chess move to "protect" the 1st overall pick.   How is that more important to a new, unproven head coach desperately trying to establish a winning culture?  Finley is a nonfactor - they knew that back in July when they were printing Andy's mug on season tickets.  

No, I'd prefer to think it's ineptitude.  If going 0-16, being a national punchline & throwing respected players under the bus is their idea of a plan the future of this franchise is pretty damned bleak.  The first pick in the 2020 NFL Draft will still sell tickets, though.  That buys them another year..  way she goes bud

If we go 0-16 and keep Zac Taylor, we won't be selling plenty of tickets, regardless of who we draft. The holes will be too obvious. If we fire the coaches, sign some free agents people have heard of, then draft Young or Burrow, attendance might rebound a little. But it will still be low as long as Mike Brown owns the team. Lots of people feel stupid for having given him their money.

12 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Sounds about right. 

Thinking that the whole Boy Wonder hire was not really his idea anyway--he always gives in to Katie. He would go back and find that "proven veteran coach"--God knows who that will be--and there will be many, including the other Gruden.   

The other Gruden worked miracles at Washington.   Made the playoffs with Cousins and then Dan Boy Snyder didn't want to pay him.  Signed Alex Smith who was having a good year until his leg got snapped into many pieces.  Downhill after that since he didn't have..., wait for it...., a good QB.  Gruen is certainly better than the offensive genius Zac that is averaging 14 points a game which is 9 points a game less than last year.   

They won't fire Taylor. He'll get his chance to match Hue's Cleveland futility at least.

I was about to say no NFL head coach owned a winless season and a Super Bowl win - and I would have been wrong (Landry did it apparently).

That said, in today's NFL it doesn't feel like that could ever happen again - so why would you wait?

But, Bengals.... 

On 11/26/2019 at 12:02 PM, BENGALS666 said:

They won't fire Taylor. He'll get his chance to match Hue's Cleveland futility at least.

I was about to say no NFL head coach owned a winless season and a Super Bowl win - and I would have been wrong (Landry did it apparently).

That said, in today's NFL it doesn't feel like that could ever happen again - so why would you wait?

But, Bengals.... 

yeah pre FA and salary cap era a bit different. 

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Should we pick up Garrett when the Cowboinkers fire him?

Offensive coordinator?

Deloris Del Rio Defensive coordinator?

Nah, he isn’t a good coach. Stands around on the sideline in the same position the whole game, rarely talks to players or coaches during the game, never calls a play, NO halftime adjustments and claps a lot. Teams always under achieve.  Man, feeling some deja vu. 

Archived