Catfish Comments on QB Situation

First off Finley. 

This guy played high school basketball too. Scored 37 points in one game not missing a single shot. Basketball skills transfer great to football. Simple basketball drills are great ways to measure a football players or anyone's ability. One thing for instance. I always noticed the most "clumsy" or mistake prone guys on my football teams were also the same guys who couldn't run while dribling a basketball to save their life.  So Finley being a solid b-ball player tells us he could possibly have some extra skills that a football only guy might not have. 

He started out at Bosie State. I don't care who ya are or what ya say but just to make Bosie State's roster as a QB you got to be at least a pretty decent QB.

After some injuries he transfered to NC State. Started every game for 3 years. 5th player in ACC history with 3k passing yards for 3 straight years. So he has history playing against top talent and doing well. In my opinion the ACC is the second best conference behind the SEC. So he has played against great teams. This tells us he could possibly be one of these young guys that come out playing well right away. D.Jones anyone? 

All of this along with a very good preseason showing tell me the guy is at least worth one or two rolls of the dice on a 0-8 team. Just to see what happens. 

Kinda burns me up the way Dalton was so upset. Kinda shows how he was just handed our starting QB position for the last decade. A very small minority of us could see this and we begged year after year for them to bring in competition. Now look competition is finally here and dude shocked almost to tears. Yeah you put in all that extra work but it hasn't shown. If really all about the team winning like you said you would be more than happy to give someone else a shot. Just to see if they can get something going. Because so far nothing has gone anywhere with this offense. Your 1st year coach's job could be on the line because the offense has been so bad. After y'all hyped us up all preseason about how hunky dory everything was going to be. 

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Just about everyone in the NFL was a great player in college, including Andy Dalton. Taylor's job was never in jeopardy. Did you forget who he works for?

Dalton didn't break 3k yards once at TCU. One could argue against lesser competition. 

I'm not saying Finley's college stats make him a superior QB to Dalton. Just responding to your narrow minded comment. 

7 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Sorry Bob: your history has shown you will be crapping on Mr. Basketball too sooner than later.

Huh.  You mean guys I have hope in always crash and burn?

Please note McScooter never crashed and burned. He left after he handed us our 1st playoff victory in almost 2 decades which we immediately shit away and gave right back to Pittsburgh before the victory was official.   

Yes Driskel looked awful last year.   So I'm 1 for 2?  Long history ay? Not like I was here 15 years ago beating drums for Gus Freotte or akili Smith or Scott Mitchell or Jordan Palmer. 

hope you're right this time..

but ... lol at this thread and 1 for 2 because AJ almost won a playoff game, and is crapping out of the NFL

Boise St.... really?  I mean yeah, look at the long list of their QB's in the NFL, it's amazing.

again.. I hope you're right this time

saying all of this.. I like Finley and am looking forward to seeing what he can do

I think Ryan Findley has just gotten his temp drivers license and Mike Brown has given him the keys to the orange Lumina for a spin around the block with Zac Taylor in the passenger seat to observe how he does.

They are seeing how he does in NFL traffic.  Will Mike turn over the keys permanently or draft a quarterback in the first round?   If he does OK, they will draft Chase Young.  If not, they will have to decide between Tua or Herbert.  Or Ohio State Chase.

I don't think this is the end of Andy.  If Findley looks OK an off season trade is not out of the question, perhaps even likely.

But I think this could be as much as seeing what we have before we have to decide on the draft choice as anything.

57 minutes ago, Cricket said:

...are we also bringing in NC State’s (or Boise State’s) offensive line?  ...or even just their offensive line coach?

I will be greatly surprised if the next few games are nothing less than a train wreck.

I expect they're going to start handing the ball off to Mixon & when the offense overall looks improved most fans will credit the new QB.

3 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

Please note McScooter never crashed and burned. He left after he handed us our 1st playoff victory in almost 2 decades

That's some interesting revisionist history there.  McSkeeter had an INT and 3 fumbles in that game (all of which we luckily recovered, but still).  He completed roughly 50% of his passes and ended the day with a 63 QBR.  

Let's be real, his greatest accomplishment as a Bengal was being a quarterback not named Andy Dalton.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

I think Ryan Findley has just gotten his temp drivers license and Mike Brown has given him the keys to the orange Lumina for a spin around the block with Zac Taylor in the passenger seat to observe how he does.

They are seeing how he does in NFL traffic.  Will Mike turn over the keys permanently or draft a quarterback in the first round?   If he does OK, they will draft Chase Young.  If not, they will have to decide between Tua or Herbert.  Or Ohio State Chase.

I don't think this is the end of Andy.  If Findley looks OK an off season trade is not out of the question, perhaps even likely.

But I think this could be as much as seeing what we have before we have to decide on the draft choice as anything.

Of course it is.  Not sure why the shock and awe from some about this.  Here's their options......1.) Finley plays well, wins multiple games and they feel they dont need a quarterback next year and use the pick on another much needed option (take your pick there are many).  Finley doesnt play so well and they continue to crap out and get one of the top picks and get their quarterback, be it Tua or Joe Burrow.  3).  They bring in some type of free agent quarterback in free agency (least likely).  All three of which result in Dalton most likely being gone via trade prior to the draft.  Instead of being salty ( not you), fans should be hoping Finley plays better than they expect.  That would give them a few years with a 4th rounder on a rookie contract to play quarterback, freeing up money for other areas of need (funny i know, but one can hope!).    

50 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I expect they're going to start handing the ball off to Mixon & when the offense overall looks improved most fans will credit the new QB.

If he makes some crucial plays along with it, then yes, i believe you will be right.  I actually dont think this kid is going to be that bad.  What that means, im really not sure.  It wouldnt shock me if he they won 4 of their next 8 though.  Ill admit, i am torn about how i will feel about that, because obviously they will have to roll with him and not draft a top quarterback.  Might be able to get Herbert, but dont really want them to have to settle for whats there just because.  I dont know, this shit has gotten confusing.  My rationale above was that if he plays better, they have money freed up to do more things, but we all know that is some wishful thinking.  

6 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Just about everyone in the NFL was a great player in college, including Andy Dalton. Taylor's job was never in jeopardy. Did you forget who he works for?

meh, andy never even had a 3000 yard passing season in college... even finley had 3. and andy was even in a spread shotgun offense.

i have never seen a scouting report more dead on than andys, average arm, pinics when plays break down, pre snaps reads are great, post snap reads not as good, deep ball accuracy is an issue, etc...

5 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

meh, andy never even had a 3000 yard passing season in college... even finley had 3. and andy was even in a spread shotgun offense.

i have never seen a scouting report more dead on than andys, average arm, pinics when plays break down, pre snaps reads are great, post snap reads not as good, deep ball accuracy is an issue, etc...

Absolutely.  I was actually going to post his scouting report yesterday.  It was dead on all the way down to the batted balls.  

40 minutes ago, SouthPaw said:

Of course it is.  Not sure why the shock and awe from some about this.  Here's their options......1.) Finley plays well, wins multiple games and they feel they dont need a quarterback next year and use the pick on another much needed option (take your pick there are many).  Finley doesnt play so well and they continue to crap out and get one of the top picks and get their quarterback, be it Tua or Joe Burrow.  3).  They bring in some type of free agent quarterback in free agency (least likely).  All three of which result in Dalton most likely being gone via trade prior to the draft.  Instead of being salty ( not you), fans should be hoping Finley plays better than they expect.  That would give them a few years with a 4th rounder on a rookie contract to play quarterback, freeing up money for other areas of need (funny i know, but one can hope!).    

I know and agree.  Hopefully he doesn't a few and drop us out of the top slot with the pick of the litterl

(and what happened to the Ginga Ninja?)

I know ugly early and not much more than a fart in the wind but I saw this mock draft

https://newarena.com/nfl/early-look-2020-nfl-mock-draft/?amxt=azdt_423_ob&utm_source=az_yh&utm_campaign=181042&utm_term=HOMEPAGE_US~c~yahoo.com&utm_medium=azyh-azdt_423_ob

and found it interesting for a couple reasons.

It has us taking Chase Young at One (leaning toward that being my preference)

Tua TWo to Miami

Herbert 7 to LA Chargers

Burrows 28 to Green Bay

Also Miami has three first round picks.

The point being, to me at least, maybe Herbert and Burrows are not as highly thought of elsewhere as here.

But what do I know?

Catfish, tell me the truth. Did Andy Dalton bang one of your loved ones? Did he kick sand in your face at the beach? Did he bud in front of you and your family at Skyline?

Your ardent distaste for him and your desire to build up any QB to legendary status that could take his place are laughable.

I wholeheartedly agree that there was a need to try something else but man, you take it to a whole different level. You even started your own thread. Yikes.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

I know and agree.  Hopefully he doesn't a few and drop us out of the top slot with the pick of the litterl

(and what happened to the Ginga Ninja?)

I know ugly early and not much more than a fart in the wind but I saw this mock draft

https://newarena.com/nfl/early-look-2020-nfl-mock-draft/?amxt=azdt_423_ob&utm_source=az_yh&utm_campaign=181042&utm_term=HOMEPAGE_US~c~yahoo.com&utm_medium=azyh-azdt_423_ob

and found it interesting for a couple reasons.

It has us taking Chase Young at One (leaning toward that being my preference)

Tua TWo to Miami

Herbert 7 to LA Chargers

Burrows 28 to Green Bay

Also Miami has three first round picks.

The point being, to me at least, maybe Herbert and Burrows are not as highly thought of elsewhere as here.

But what do I know?

That is my fear as well.  We can only hope, that if that happens, he is the QB of the future.

😂Like Cincinnati, it was my time to move on from the Ginga Ninja.  I respect Andy and think he's a really good human being, but his time is up.  Therefore, im showing my support for Finley until further notice. 

Andy Dalton was not the problem. Replacing him is not going to solve the problem.  Finley is not going to improve the defense. He's not going to make Joe Mixon a 100 yard rusher. Tom Brady and Arron Rodgers combined channeling the soul of Joe Montana couldn't win with this team.

These are just facts.

I like Finley too, that's why I'd much rather see him get a shot when he not trying to drive a clown car in the Indy 500. 

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

That's some interesting revisionist history there.  McSkeeter had an INT and 3 fumbles in that game (all of which we luckily recovered, but still).  He completed roughly 50% of his passes and ended the day with a 63 QBR.  

Let's be real, his greatest accomplishment as a Bengal was being a quarterback not named Andy Dalton.

Man y'all drive me crazy.  Dude took us down the field and put us in the lead late in the game which should've sealed the victory. Something Dalton has failed to do or even come close to doing in 4 tries and 8 years!!! Hello! What more did you people want from McScoot? Gawd bless no pleasing some folks.   If Dalton was in that game on that drive he would've crapped his pants like he has historically 100% of the time in any big game big situation. No doubting that outcome with ol Red Rider in there. Same outcome for a decade . 

1 hour ago, GoBengals said:

also to be clear, i dont expect finley to do much, if any better than andy really.. less batted balls and MAYBE less bad throws, but his scouting report iirc literally compared him to dalton.

This makes no sense. Less batted balls and bad throws but won't do much better? Without those mistakes we see week in and week out the play should be much better. 

Dalton's biggest weakness throwing balls right to defensive linemen. Only QB with multiple pick 6s to linemen. 

48 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Catfish, tell me the truth. Did Andy Dalton bang one of your loved ones? Did he kick sand in your face at the beach? Did he bud in front of you and your family at Skyline?

Your ardent distaste for him and your desire to build up any QB to legendary status that could take his place are laughable.

I wholeheartedly agree that there was a need to try something else but man, you take it to a whole different level. You even started your own thread. Yikes.

Naw man I'm just a die hard Bengals fan who is sick and tired of watching Andy fuckin Dalton for the last 9 years. 

Gawd dam why is that so hard to grasp your mind around? 

You want to keep seeing the same exact shit for another 9 years?????

1 hour ago, GoBengals said:

2011 Wisconsin says hi. 

dalton-carder-p1.jpg&w=800&q=85

1 hour ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Andy Dalton was not the problem. Replacing him is not going to solve the problem.  Finley is not going to improve the defense. He's not going to make Joe Mixon a 100 yard rusher. Tom Brady and Arron Rodgers combined channeling the soul of Joe Montana couldn't win with this team.

These are just facts.

I like Finley too, that's why I'd much rather see him get a shot when he not trying to drive a clown car in the Indy 500. 

Andy wasnt THE problem, he was a part of the problem.  However, he is also not the answer.  I think the teams 33% red zone scoring has a ton to do with what goes on on defense.  The defense, while giving up tons of yards, has been pretty good in the red zone.  They have had some stands this year only to have the offense go three and out.  Too much time on the field will bury many a defense.  It all goes hand in hand.  I think if Finley can keep drives alive and score more points, this defense will look better.  What that means overall for this team is anyone's guess, but it will be different.  Just this past week, while still very much in the game, they forced three consecutive three and outs from the Rams and got nothing out of it.  I just dont think that can continue to be overlooked.  

Archived