Catfish Comments on QB Situation

7 minutes ago, SouthPaw said:

Andy wasnt THE problem, he was a part of the problem.  However, he is also not the answer.  I think the teams 33% red zone scoring has a ton to do with what goes on on defense.  The defense, while giving up tons of yards, has been pretty good in the red zone.  They have had some stands this year only to have the offense go three and out.  Too much time on the field will bury many a defense.  It all goes hand in hand.  I think if Finley can keep drives alive and score more points, this defense will look better.  What that means overall for this team is anyone's guess, but it will be different.  Just this past week, while still very much in the game, they forced three consecutive three and outs from the Rams and got nothing out of it.  I just dont think that can continue to be overlooked.  

So why not bench Mixon? He got 0 yards last game... How long can that be overlooked? Sure, he's not the problem, but he is part of it. Why not bench Tyler Boyd for his double digit drops and costly fumbles?

Bringing in Finley with a swiss cheese O-Line and no running game is a recipe for disaster. We'll be calling him "Footsteps Finley" by December. And if Zac Taylor doesn't get better at playcalling, fast, we're still going to lose those three and outs.

Whatever, some of the same folks who thought we'd magically make the Super Bowl if we got rid of Marvin Lewis are back and beating the drums again. Mike Brown and his immense scouting staff somehow outsmarted the league and found the greatest quarterback ever in the 4th round. God knows Mike Brown knows something about picking Quarterbacks. Well, except for Andy Dalton. That dude sucks.

Much like week 8 has you pining for a little clappy-clappy from a guy who didn't look like a deer in the headlights, I'll give you until the end of next season when you're nostalgic for Andy. Or 2 weeks from now when you're sure Lady Dolegaga is the answer.

See the source image

See the source image

See the source image

1 hour ago, LostInDaJungle said:

So why not bench Mixon? He got 0 yards last game... How long can that be overlooked? Sure, he's not the problem, but he is part of it. Why not bench Tyler Boyd for his double digit drops and costly fumbles?

Bringing in Finley with a swiss cheese O-Line and no running game is a recipe for disaster. We'll be calling him "Footsteps Finley" by December. And if Zac Taylor doesn't get better at playcalling, fast, we're still going to lose those three and outs.

Whatever, some of the same folks who thought we'd magically make the Super Bowl if we got rid of Marvin Lewis are back and beating the drums again. Mike Brown and his immense scouting staff somehow outsmarted the league and found the greatest quarterback ever in the 4th round. God knows Mike Brown knows something about picking Quarterbacks. Well, except for Andy Dalton. That dude sucks.

Much like week 8 has you pining for a little clappy-clappy from a guy who didn't look like a deer in the headlights, I'll give you until the end of next season when you're nostalgic for Andy. Or 2 weeks from now when you're sure Lady Dolegaga is the answer.

See the source image

See the source image

See the source image

Why so much exaggeration?

No one said dude is the greatest 4th round pick ever. We just want see someone else whoever that is. Someone that could possibly be a spark.  It's not the end of the world yo. 

19 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

See the source image

See the source image

See the source image

Nope.  

On 10/31/2019 at 3:03 PM, LostInDaJungle said:

See the source image

See the source image

See the source image

👍

I believe Finley will do fairly decent this Sunday against Baltimore. Fairly decent considering it's his first NFL start and against a top defense. 

I think he will blow out Dalton's prior performance against the same team. Where Dalton was only able to muster up 3 points worth of offense plus a garbage time TD at the end where the defense just gave it to him to avoid have to tackle anyone. 

I believe the rest of the team will also look and play better. From the O-line to the defense.  

Think this is our first exciting moment since the opening kicking off week2?  Since then it's been all clown show on offense. 

On 10/31/2019 at 4:08 PM, Catfish Bob said:

Why so much exaggeration?

No one said dude is the greatest 4th round pick ever. We just want see someone else whoever that is. Someone that could possibly be a spark.  It's not the end of the world yo. 

i just think they are realistic enough to conclude that even if you put a new bigger motor in your car its probably not going to run much faster with the same square tires and same watered down gas in the tank.  

2 hours ago, fluhartz said:

you will eventually be right about a QB being better than Andy.   

Hope it's this time 

Don't forget I was right on McScooter. So I'm 1 for 2.  

But yes Finley will be a upgrade from Andy.  I'm pretty certain.  Better feet, better accuracy, better athlete much smarter. 

Real talk:   They threw Dalton under the bus trying to hide their complete incompetence & lack of anything resembling a plan or strategy.  They gave Hart an extension yet benched Dalton because.. why?  He wasn't living up to the high standards exemplified by Andre Smith or Nick Vigil?

Now they'll probably start feeding Mixon & letting Finley throw no more than 15 passes a game, & when the offense looks better as a result the casual fans will think it's because they sat the QB.  Meanwhile everyone left in the locker room now knows that their head coach will toss them to the wolves without a second thought to save his own ass.

It's the blind leading the stupid & it's insane to me that anyone is encouraged by such feckless idiotic flailing.  This francise is in freefall.

12 hours ago, fluhartz said:

lol

so dumb 

Lol were 0-8. Gotta have some fun somehow. 

I'll admit that Dalton was the better athlete but McScooter had a certain ability. An ability to drive the field in a playoff game. So he definitely gets the nod on that one. 

Cheers to Finley doing something. He only needs 2 fgs in the first 50 minutes of game play to accomplish a 100% improvement over the last outing against Baltimore. 

If Finley stinks up the joint hopefully we'll get to see the 6'7 kid. That would've been my starter from the get go. 

16 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Real talk:   They threw Dalton under the bus trying to hide their complete incompetence & lack of anything resembling a plan or strategy.  They gave Hart an extension yet benched Dalton because.. why?  He wasn't living up to the high standards exemplified by Andre Smith or Nick Vigil?

Now they'll probably start feeding Mixon & letting Finley throw no more than 15 passes a game, & when the offense looks better as a result the casual fans will think it's because they sat the QB.  Meanwhile everyone left in the locker room now knows that their head coach will toss them to the wolves without a second thought to save his own ass.

It's the blind leading the stupid & it's insane to me that anyone is encouraged by such feckless idiotic flailing.  This francise is in freefall.

Threw Dalton under the bus? Really?

They benched an underperforming quarterback for a fourth round pick. It’s been explained: they want to evaluate what they’ve got, in real games, before the next off season. They need to know what additional personnel choices need to be made at the position. You reading malicious or conspiratorial motive into this is insane. I’d argue it makes LESS SENSE to continue to leave Dalton under center. Why should they do that?

You painted your narrative, I painted mine. Your’s is far more difficult to comprehend, let alone believe.

12 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

Threw Dalton under the bus? Really?

They benched an underperforming quarterback for a fourth round pick. It’s been explained: they want to evaluate what they’ve got, in real games, before the next off season. They need to know what additional personnel choices need to be made at the position. You reading malicious or conspiratorial motive into this is insane. I’d argue it makes LESS SENSE to continue to leave Dalton under center. Why should they do that?

You painted your narrative, I painted mine. Your’s is far more difficult to comprehend, let alone believe.

Yes, really.  This entire team has looked like utter shit.  The only time we've even been halfway in a game is because of Dalton.  I mean no question he's got the yips now but WTF did we expect?  Let Finley get sacked 20 times in the next 3 games & see if he's still planting his feet to throw.  

There are about 20 out of our 22 starters more deserving of the bench by any objective judgement.  Yet we sideline the franchise QB who never complains, never misses a practice, never gets down no matter how ugly shit gets..  It's a terrible message from a head coach that clearly doesn't know whether to shit or go blind. 

This franchise has all kinds of problems from top to bottom & Dalton was the least of them.  I'm not arguing he's anything better than average but on this sorry-ass team average might as well be the Hall of Fame.  

Acting like benching him was the solution to anything is a joke. Which I guess is fitting for this slapdick franchise.

31 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Yes, really.  This entire team has looked like utter shit.  The only time we've even been halfway in a game is because of Dalton.  I mean no question he's got the yips now but WTF did we expect?  Let Finley get sacked 20 times in the next 3 games & see if he's still planting his feet to throw.  

There are about 20 out of our 22 starters more deserving of the bench by any objective judgement.  Yet we sideline the franchise QB who never complains, never misses a practice, never gets down no matter how ugly shit gets..  It's a terrible message from a head coach that clearly doesn't know whether to shit or go blind. 

This franchise has all kinds of problems from top to bottom & Dalton was the least of them.  I'm not arguing he's anything better than average but on this sorry-ass team average might as well be the Hall of Fame.  

Acting like benching him was the solution to anything is a joke. Which I guess is fitting for this slapdick franchise.

See, again, I don’t think this was the point of the benching. That wasn’t the position of the franchise when it was announced. Why are you taking in that way?

12 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

See, again, I don’t think this was the point of the benching. That wasn’t the position of the franchise when it was announced. Why are you taking in that way?

Well then what was the point?  Distraction?  What did they see in Finley sitting on the bench the last 2 months that made them think now was the time?

31 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Well then what was the point?  Distraction?  What did they see in Finley sitting on the bench the last 2 months that made them think now was the time?

No. Dalton had been their guy his whole career, up until now it’s been business as usual, trying to compete with what they thought was their best option.

Now that the season is out of hand, it’s time to put in the young guy and see what he can do. They chose the bye week because it would give Finley and extra week of reps with the ones.

T, you’re WAY smarter than this. I know we all have a penchant for contrarianism, but this is silly.

2 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

No. Dalton had been their guy his whole career, up until now it’s been business as usual, trying to compete with what they thought was their best option.

Now that the season is out of hand, it’s time to put in the young guy and see what he can do. They chose the bye week because it would give Finley and extra week of reps with the ones.

T, you’re WAY smarter than this. I know we all have a penchant for contrarianism, but this is silly.

Well thanks, I think? But even if that's the case the way it was handled was absolutely classless.  And I still think it had more to do with finding a sacrificial lamb at 0-8.  

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Well thanks, I think? But even if that's the case the way it was handled was absolutely classless.  And I still think it had more to do with finding a sacrificial lamb at 0-8.  

I tend to agree, but these guys all know at the end of the day this is business. The timing just sucked.

I just don’t understand a sacrificial lamb. To what end did they need to identify and assign blame on Dalton, if that’s what they even did?

Archived