Ratbirds on the Barbie

1 hour ago, HavePityPlease said:

lol they just show the stat, Ravens are #1 in TE targets in every category, last in receiver targets.  Bengals:  let's not cover the TE

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

two weeks to plan this D lol

You guys have the fucking nerve to act surprised when we can't cover a TE? Fuck you! That's a millenia old issue! Linebacker, linebackers, linebackers....

:lol:

3 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

You guys have the fucking nerve to act surprised when we can't cover a TE? Fuck you! That's a millenia old issue! Linebacker, linebackers, linebackers....

:lol:

You are of course correct, but I at least was implying that they (for once) didn't have to necessarily rely on LB's to cover TE's.  Maybe?  Maybe do something dynamic?  

Yeah ok, criticism accepted. 😋

1 hour ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I’m becoming a fan of Auden Tate

Same. Dude TRIES despite his limitations speed-wise. Great catch radius. I expect we'll see more of that once Finley and he get dialed in with reps. Tate is good. Fuck the haters. Gotta deliver the ball the right way to him though. Not a timing guy.

1 hour ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Well, I'm speaking at a conference on the 15th. Time to jam out some powerpoint. Let me know if we score 39 points in the last 8 minutes.

I think they can do it.... 

Oh...I was thinking last 8 games counting today....still going to be close 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

I think I am done. 45 years but I just can’t do it anymore.  Time to move on. 

This hurts my heart. Literally. Mostly because I feel the same way. My emotional investment level is flatlined to zero. It's literally slapstick at this point, especially defensively. "Way to set up the rookie QB there D!". "Fuck you, O! Where's your line?" "Oh yeah we forgot, our bad."  "Yo, where's that wide receiver group at?"  "I don't know man, but Alex Ericson is hanging around over there, looking tall."

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

We don't need no stinkin linebackers!

In all seriousness, outside of a brief window of a mixture of Thurman, Pollack, Tez and a small sprinkle of old assed Takeo and Simmons...since when has the linebacker experiment EVER worked for the Bengals? WHEN have we had someone anchoring our defense like a nasty, greasy Singletary? Marvin seemed to keep whiffing on that Ray Lewis clone. Man, if we'd just MURDERED some people, what could have been!

32 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

In all seriousness, outside of a brief window of a mixture of Thurman, Pollack, Tez and a small sprinkle of old assed Takeo and Simmons...since when has the linebacker experiment EVER worked for the Bengals? WHEN have we had someone anchoring our defense like a nasty, greasy Singletary? Marvin seemed to keep whiffing on that Ray Lewis clone. Man, if we'd just MURDERED some people, what could have been!

Goes back to scouting.  We're still flying on ketchup etiquette.

Okay, I missed what I expected to be a shellacking...not surprised at all.  I was busy winning the over-58 championship at the 8v8 Bourbon Cup Tournament in Louisville. 🏆

So, this morning I started reading this thread, and I gotta say, you guys are hilarious.  Seriously, you brought me to tears with some of your comments.

I missed the game, but still got to enjoy some comedy.  Thanks.

🦗 

You are an inspiration to us upper middle-age-still-thinking-we-can-be-on-the-pitch types! 

I simply settled in at the pub on Sunday and watched Liverpool skunk City to send those bastards down to 4th in the PL. Would have rathered scored a Fabinho style screamer as you certainly did?    

7 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

You are an inspiration to us upper middle-age-still-thinking-we-can-be-on-the-pitch types! 

I simply settled in at the pub on Sunday and watched Liverpool skunk City to send those bastards down to 4th in the PL. Would have rathered scored a Fabinho style screamer as you certainly did?    

I only scored two goals, and no screamers.  One was a re-direct of a low, hard cross, and the other was a steal from a defender followed with a quick, low, toe-poke under a charging goalkeeper.  Our defense was the strength of our team, finishing with three straight 2-0 shutouts on Sunday, after starting with a 2-2 tie and a 7-3 win on Saturday.  

3 hours ago, Cricket said:

I only scored two goals, and no screamers.  One was a re-direct of a low, hard cross, and the other was a steal from a defender followed with a quick, low, toe-poke under a charging goalkeeper.  Our defense was the strength of our team, finishing with three straight 2-0 shutouts on Sunday, after starting with a 2-2 tie and a 7-3 win on Saturday.  

I know you mentioned this another time: are you forward, mid-field, or back line? Hard to have a #10 on an 8-man side, but would that fit the bill? 

4 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

I know you mentioned this another time: are you forward, mid-field, or back line? Hard to have a #10 on an 8-man side, but would that fit the bill? 

We used a formation that I had concocted in the summer.  We had used a 2-3-1 formation to win a 7v7 tournament in Chicago in August.  Afterwards, for our scrimmages to prepare for the 8v8 Beer City Cup in Asheville, on a whim, I decided to throw the “extra” player on top...but instead of making it a 2-3-2, I designated it as a 2-3-1-1.  With no offsides in the small-sided games, I had noted that a forward running around behind the opponent’s back line can significantly distort the opponent’s formation if they try to mark that player...OR the player can easily get open near the end line if they don’t mark him.

It proved pretty effective in the first couple of scrimmages, as my 58+ team pretty much played toe-to-toe against the 50+ team...and during the better part of one scrimmage, we totally outplayed them.  

So, I stuck with the 2-3-1-1 for the Beer City Cup...and we won it.  Our only blemish was a 3-3 tie vs. the defending champs.

This weekend’s Bourbon Cup 58+ team was run by two other guys, who initially didn’t like that formation during early discussions.  But after touting its benefits, they decided to go with it....and we ended up with another tournament championship.

My position is that last “1” in the 2-3-1-1 (Some say that I created that formation so that I could play that position.  Maybe I did 😎).

Basically, I just pester the opposing defense.  Most teams we face play a 3-man back line, so I’ll start out on one side...and if that outside defender “marks” me, I just run over to the other side.  If he follows me, it opens up the side I used to be on.  If he doesn’t follow me, I’ll just get myself open behind the other outside back.  It usually surprises the Hell out of them...and really helps to keep their back line from pushing up into their own attacks.  

I totally enjoy hearing the frustrations of the opposing defense as they try to figure out how to handle me.  And they REALLY hate it when I make a simple deflection to score a goal when they’ve lost track of me.

So, to answer your question, I prefer to play forward, but instead of having the “shoot first” thought process of a “typical” forward, I almost always look for the pass first.

In 11v11, I can also play outside midfielder, but since I take my defensive AND offensive responsibilities seriously, I’ll need to sub out more frequently due to all of the runs up and back.

i could also play outside fullback, but we typically have plenty of those guys for our traveling teams.

Archived