FELLAS AND LADS, OUR TEAM SUCKS. LIKE...REALLY SUCKS

1 hour ago, LostInDaJungle said:

There's a comedy program I watch in the fall called The Bengals. It's about this clueless small town football owner who brings together a bunch of wacky misfits and they try to take on real NFL teams and fail. It's hilarious.

Somebody should pitch it to HBO, Showtime, Netflix or whoever....it would be The Office meets The Longest Yard...Jack Black would make a great Mike Brown, Steve Martin as Duke Tobin.....a smash hit in the making.

I can’t believe I am going to agree with LT. :) I totally agree, the NFL is not what it used to be.  Rules have changed to make the game softer, replays have destroyed momentum, it seems the players get hurt more or maybe it is they keep the player out more for precautionary reasons or don’t want to be sued, etc...  I am not into the NFL like I was years ago.  To me, I don’t think Finley played that bad, especially when I heard he never took one snap with the starters as a backup, why Zach would do that is beyond me, but not one player does a team make.  There are so many issues with this team it is beyond repair and will take years to fix since we know MFB is not playing in the free agency game.  Plus, we know he is involved in the draft too. When MFB leaves, will Katie and her worthless husband leave?  No way, so guess what, nothing is going to change.  I have been trying to pull away from ever watching this team again for years now, but it is a disease I have thinking, one day, just one day they will win it all and I guess I want to say I have been here the whole time just like most of you.  Yea, I am negative towards this team more than positive, but really what is there to be positive about? 

1 hour ago, TigerJ@w said:

When MFB leaves, will Katie and her worthless husband leave? 

For a billion dollars?  It would not surprise me.  Vacationing in Scandinavia at the midseason trade deadline doesn't strike me as people in love with NFL football.  They'd be free to do literally anything up to bending laws of physics, nm nations, and they could retain enough of the franchise to keep the Brown name on everything while letting a CFO mail them checks.  Almost certainly bigger checks than they're getting right now, even. 

At the very least another GM hire down the road seems likely.  How dug in are the Tobins? Father & son are listed as personnel guys but it's the Bengals so there are probably more on the staff.  The 2 of them are in charge of the 2 scouts?  WTF even is this organization, literally, give us a powerpoint & hand out flowcharts so we can follow along.  I want to know how they think this thing functions.

1 hour ago, TigerJ@w said:

I can’t believe I am going to agree with LT. :) I totally agree, the NFL is not what it used to be.  Rules have changed to make the game softer, replays have destroyed momentum, it seems the players get hurt more or maybe it is they keep the player out more for precautionary reasons or don’t want to be sued, etc...  I am not into the NFL like I was years ago.  To me, I don’t think Finley played that bad, especially when I heard he never took one snap with the starters as a backup, why Zach would do that is beyond me, but not one player does a team make.  There are so many issues with this team it is beyond repair and will take years to fix since we know MFB is not playing in the free agency game.  Plus, we know he is involved in the draft too. When MFB leaves, will Katie and her worthless husband leave?  No way, so guess what, nothing is going to change.  I have been trying to pull away from ever watching this team again for years now, but it is a disease I have thinking, one day, just one day they will win it all and I guess I want to say I have been here the whole time just like most of you.  Yea, I am negative towards this team more than positive, but really what is there to be positive about? 

So how did this team go from being 5-1 at the start of last year to 0-9 and the absolute worse team in the NFL this year? We had a suck-ass line last year. Last season fell apart because of the enormous amount of injuries. The biggest change this year has without question been coaching IMO. You can't run a Rams style offense with our personnel. Lou would have already been fired if Marvin was still the HC. Absolutely no excuse for the regression in the D. The Oline coach sucks. We've had these issues before and the HC addressed them. Maybe I'm wrong, but I place the blame squarely on coaching.

18 minutes ago, OneHeartBeat said:

Last season fell apart because of the enormous amount of injuries

Most of the same people who were hurt last season were hurt the one before, are hurt again this year, and will probably be hobbling around here the next.  

10 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Most of the same people who were hurt last season were hurt the one before, are hurt again this year, and will probably be hobbling around here the next.  

You can blame the injuries in the NFL on the CBA. These guys don't fucking practice, or the practices are so wussified that this ends up being the result.

1 minute ago, OneHeartBeat said:

You can blame the injuries in the NFL on the CBA. These guys don't fucking practice, or the practices are so wussified that this ends up being the result.

They carry 53 guys on a roster for a reason, it's just that maybe 10 of ours at most should be starters.  

I'm actually kind of surprised some of you are surprised by this.

We had one of the worst D's in the NFL last year and we added nobody to it.

The Oline has been notoriously bad and out 1st round LT went out for the year, and the guy playing LT last year hasnt played either.

Our best WR has been out all year.

I'm not sold on Taylor either, and this team still refuses to do some of the basic things organizationally that would at least make things somewhat better.

But I did not expect us to compete this year

And I don't next year either. We are in full rebuild mode like it or not.

Taylor gets 3 years with me, probably 5 minimum with Brown.

11 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

I think that may be an exaggeration at best and overly optimistic at least.

No :ninja: (and no insult at you intended)

None taken, it was a generous guess. It's hard to tell who is worth keeping when they're all covered in shit?

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

We had one of the worst D's in the NFL last year and we added nobody to it.

The Oline has been notoriously bad and out 1st round LT went out for the year, and the guy playing LT last year hasnt played either.

Our best WR has been out all year.

I'm not sold on Taylor either, and this team still refuses to do some of the basic things organizationally that would at least make things somewhat better.

But I did not expect us to compete this year

And I don't next year either. We are in full rebuild mode like it or not.

Taylor gets 3 years with me, probably 5 minimum with Brown.

I think they were betting on a healthy Lawson, healthy Dennard, healthy AJ, growth from Hubbard, and something from Malik Jefferson. They should've made moves when Boling retired and Jonah was injured. and Malik and Burfict were cut.  Instead they made a cheap move with A. Smith and once again ignored the LB position Why this coaching staff doesn't think of creative ways to get Gio the ball is maddening. 

2 minutes ago, OneHeartBeat said:

I think they were betting on a healthy Lawson, healthy Dennard, healthy AJ, growth from Hubbard, and something from Malik Jefferson. They should've made moves when Boling retired and Jonah was injured. and Malik and Burfict were cut.  Instead they made a cheap move with A. Smith and once again ignored the LB position Why this coaching staff doesn't think of creative ways to get Gio the ball is maddening. 

The problem is Boling retired in July when the draft and FA were already over. Unless you want to trade 2020 picks to get a guard. I'm not really a fan of trading away picks in July.

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

The problem is Boling retired in July when the draft and FA were already over. Unless you want to trade 2020 picks to get a guard. I'm not really a fan of trading away picks in July.

I'm sure there had to be better FA's available in July. They also probably were betting on a healthy Glenn (who knows if he's healthy or not). In fairness, the team has tried to address the oline. The last two 1st round picks have been oline. It still hard for me to believe that Price sucks as bad as he does. I think it's more that the oline coach sucks along with the rest of the staff.

I was at the game with my family.  The game wasn’t good, but I was three rows back from the field and I didn’t see any players quit or give up.  I did see a man get completely out-coached who had zero ability to adjust or respond to a superior game plan.  Also, it was still fun to be at the game.  We all had fun and cheered for our team even though the score sucked.  We had a good rushing game and time of possession. If you looked at the game stats without the score you might have thought it was close.   

5E1A1092-6EB4-4AC7-9633-E902C1D5E2AB.jpeg

56 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Exactly.  Expecting this line to be worth a shit when your #1 pick left tackle goes IR, you starting left tackle from last year goes out for 9 games and counting, your best lineman retires out of the blue due to blood clots, another lineman is suspended for 4 games, your first round pick from last year is a bust.   Dude there is bad luck and there is:

large.Schlep.jpg

47 minutes ago, Metallicus said:

I was at the game with my family.  The game wasn’t good, but I was three rows back from the field and I didn’t see any players quit or give up.  I did see a man get completely out-coached who had zero ability to adjust or respond to a superior game plan.  Also, it was still fun to be at the game.  We all had fun and cheered for our team even though the score sucked.  We had a good rushing game and time of possession. If you looked at the game stats without the score you might have thought it was close.   

5E1A1092-6EB4-4AC7-9633-E902C1D5E2AB.jpeg

Well, yeah.

But in his defense(?), he simply did not have the players to man-up to Baltimore.

Glad you had a good time.  Your seats gave you a great view of the cheerleaders.

2 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Well, yeah.

But in his defense(?), he simply did not have the players to man-up to Baltimore.

Glad you had a good time.  Your seats gave you a great view of the cheerleaders.

I expected the team to be at least a 500 team until the offensive line was decimated and AJ went down.  Even after the loss to Seattle I thought they could be good.  I think we need to give Zaq some time to build his roster.  

Now if the Bengals go into the draft and don’t take one of those QBs with their first pick I will be pissed.  Finley looked okay, but so did Jeff Driskel at times.  That doesn’t make them the answer. 

The team was always going to have issues with the o line.  My biggest surprise is how horrible the defense is.  I should not have been surprised and I still think coaching can make it an average squad but in its current form, they are TERRIBLE.

1 hour ago, Metallicus said:

I expected the team to be at least a 500 team until the offensive line was decimated and AJ went down.  Even after the loss to Seattle I thought they could be good.  I think we need to give Zaq some time to build his roster.  

Now if the Bengals go into the draft and don’t take one of those QBs with their first pick I will be pissed.  Finley looked okay, but so did Jeff Driskel at times.  That doesn’t make them the answer. 

If we go qb with the first pick, the kid will get absolutely killed and ruined for life.

Best Player Available which would be Chase Young.

Spend the rest of the draft on O linemen, Linebackers and look for sliders and sleeper

cornerbacks and maybe try for Herbert if he slides.

I will be shot for saying something about the 2021 draft class but Trevor Lawrence (Clemson)

and JT Daniels (USC) , perhaps even Justin Fields (THE Ohio State) would be worth the wait

if we officially acknowledge that we are rebuilding... which we are.

I have a friend who is a huge Lawrence fan.  All three are 6'2"-3" and 220ish lbs.

Maybe a free agent and maybe Finley doesn't look so bad (maybe) behind a decent offensive line.

However, I'll never forget Finley's first NFL touchdown pass was to the other team.

Wonder if free agent Mariota could use some redeeming?  Or is he a total bust?

Dunno.

P.S.  I was thinking around .500, too, until they started dropping like flies and

who could have seen Cordy Glenn's prolonged squat on the pity pot coming.

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

There's 4-12 bad, there's 0-16 bad, and there's being on Lamar Jackson's highlight video for the rest of his career bad.

I don't think people are surprised that we're struggling, I think people are surprised by the depths of those struggles and how much of them are self-inflicted by an inept first year coach.

50 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

If we go qb with the first pick, the kid will get absolutely killed and ruined for life.

Best Player Available which would be Chase Young.

Spend the rest of the draft on O linemen, Linebackers and look for sliders and sleeper

cornerbacks and maybe try for Herbert if he slides.

I will be shot for saying something about the 2021 draft class but Trevor Lawrence (Clemson)

and JT Daniels (USC) , perhaps even Justin Fields (THE Ohio State) would be worth the wait

if we officially acknowledge that we are rebuilding... which we are.

I have a friend who is a huge Lawrence fan.  All three are 6'2"-3" and 220ish lbs.

Maybe a free agent and maybe Finley doesn't look so bad (maybe) behind a decent offensive line.

However, I'll never forget Finley's first NFL touchdown pass was to the other team.

Wonder if free agent Mariota could use some redeeming?  Or is he a total bust?

Dunno.

P.S.  I was thinking around .500, too, until they started dropping like flies and

who could have seen Cordy Glenn's prolonged squat on the pity pot coming.

It's entirely possible to have a decent O-line next year. That's not to say the Bengals will do it but if they hire a good O-line coach, sign 1 or 2 veteran free agents, get Jonah Williams back, and use a 2nd day pick on another linemen, it could be a strength for the new QB.  It will be a test of whether or not the Brown family will let the football people spend to the cap or not.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

It's entirely possible to have a decent O-line next year. That's not to say the Bengals will do it but if they hire a good O-line coach, sign 1 or 2 veteran free agents, get Jonah Williams back, and use a 2nd day pick on another linemen, it could be a strength for the new QB.  It will be a test of whether or not the Brown family will let the football people spend to the cap or not.

And spend to the cap SMARTLY!

But they wont spend $20M on 2 good OL. 

13 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Although my comments were a now total disinterest in the NFL in general, this would also transcend down to the original team of interest too.  

I still plan to attend games--just not as many as the old days--and catch them on tube when convenient. It is just not where I used to be many years ago--when it was sort of a consuming thing. That no longer exists. 

Not to let this sorry ass franchise or the sorry ass franchise that plays down the street from them off the hook, but I really think much of this comes with age and life experience.  I don't feel the same about any sports anymore, and I doubt a championship by any of my favorites would feel the same today as it would have 20-30-40 years ago.  Marriage, kids, work, mortgages and bills, aging parents, the passing of old friends, and the realization that your 70-some or 80-some years on the planet are going to pass by a hell of a lot faster than you ever dreamed they would...

...all of that works together to put sports in a different perspective.  I think that once all that starts to become reality, interest in sports begins to slowly erode.  Sorry to get philosophical.

Archived