Bengals first overall draft pick scenarios...

If the Bengals don't blow it and start winning (hahaha), who should they pick #1?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. The Bengals select...

• Tua Tagovailoa
    • Chase Young
    • Joe Burrow
    • Trade down for multiple picks

1 hour ago, Bengal_Buckeye said:

You act like he’s going to have all day to throw passes with our OL. Let’s see how he does against a consistent pass rush before labeling him a hof player.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

You have to be high to think he always has had all day to throw this year. You either didn’t watch any of his games including last night or you are being purposefully disingenuous.

1 hour ago, HOF dan said:

I have to admit, I've come around on Burrow. I voted Chase Young in the poll but after watching LSU the last 3 or 4 weeks, I'm impressed.

Yeah - he has more time in the pocket than you would get in most NFL games and most likely will not rush for as many yards - but - he seems to have the "it"factor.

I'd be happy if we got the #1 pick and grabbed Burrow. Then if we could just................................aw never mind.

I am tending to agree.

I also think we could get him with the second pick in the draft.

If we pick 1 and the Gnats pick 2, they could probably be scared into trading up one slot

and we get Burrow and something extra.  That would be nice.

Let him sit for a year behind Andy if Andy can't be traded for at least a second round pick... which I doubt.

If we draft 2 and someone trades up for Burrow, Chase Young would be my pick in a heartbeat.

P.S.  What Pattern said.  His post appeared while I was typing this.

I'm still thinking we will win enough games at the end of the season to drop from the first or second pick.

Why?  Because we're Bengals, son.

On 12/1/2019 at 10:52 PM, kennethmw said:

The ideal scenario might be to trade #1 (or 2) to the Dolphins for at least three picks, preferably all three first rounders, and take the Best OT, a 1st rd LB, and at the bottom of the round, Take Tua.  Keep Andy for another year, and let Tua get healthy.

Why would the Dolphins trade 3 first round picks to move 3 spots... doesn't make any sense.

Why would any team, especially the Bengals, draft an injury prone player like that in the first round? He's probably one of the most injury prone players to enter the draft in the last few years. He's had hip, knee, and ankle surgeries in just 2 seasons of SEC play.

I wouldn't touch Tua, his body can't handle the punishment and his style of play makes him open to injuries... hard pass.

Burrow is the best QB prospect coming out in the draft this year, by a long shot. 

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

:facepalm:

:D

Catchy tune, sounded familiar :ninja:

Ah. 

We are in a different situation though. we've already got the LT, RB, and WRs. Oline still needs pieces, but none that you take with the 1st overall pick. D needs LBs, not sold that any LB is worth the number 1 overall pick either (or even the 2nd overall). 

Now if we end up dropping things may change, though.

4 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I'm not convinced Miami takes a QB. They just traded for Rosen, I think they need to build a team around him before you declare he cant win.

They are intentionally playing Fitz over Rosen.  The reason is the players respect Fitz and Rosen sucks.  I mean he really sucks.  94-52-19.  You know what that stands for?  His yds per game/ QB rating/ QBR.  He is garbage. 

Arizona dumped him after 1 year for Murray. 

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Ah. 

We are in a different situation though. we've already got the LT, RB, and WRs.

We hope we got the LT..  Even so who backs him up? You're happy with Hart at RT? None of the interior OL are stand-outs. Ditto the LB's unless we count Lawson/Hubbard, both of who have been hurt a lot. Same at WR, few have been reliable.  Then Mixon isn't in the game on 3rd & inches from a few yards outsiARARRHRHHHHHHHHHH.

If we don't trade down they need to refit in free agency and you know how that's gone...

19 minutes ago, Bengal_Buckeye said:

Yeah and how did that work out. They replaced the head coach after one season and drafted another qb in back to back seasons in the first round and still won three or four games. I guess they replace both after this year to since they didn’t much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

Murray’s yards per game is over 100 yards more, QB rating 20 points higher and QBR 40 points higher than Rosen’s was last year. Offense has improved 12 places.  Murray has been a significant upgrade. 

Their defense is ranked 32nd. 

Back to the first pick in the draft.  Or maybe even second.

If Joe Burrow is there and Miami offers all three of their first round picks, do we take it?

One will be in the 3-4 range.

So go with Joe or take the picks?

We lose Joe or Chase but get three firsts and out high second give us four picks in the top 33.

I would say we would have to do it just for overall strengthening of the team at our numerous weak points

but I have paid so much attention to the quarterbacks and Chase Young that I'm not even sure who or what 

else is out there.

Take Tua with a gamble and year of rehab and grooming behind Andy and three more top picks?

Yeah, I would lean that way.

I don't think its impossible for Miami to give up their first round picks for Joe.

Take Tua with a gamble and year of rehab and grooming behind Andy and three more top picks?

With THIS team's history of injured college draft picks? LOL - NOOOOO. 

Stop overthinking this. Joe Burrow is one of the best QBs of all-time at the collegiate level, he is running a pro-style offense where he already has the ability to check into and out of plays at the line, and has been involved in helping to shape gameplans. He's shredded SEC defenses stacked with NFL quality players en route the most accurate season a college QB has ever had. And he's athletic to boot and can make plays in and out of the pocket. He's the #1 pick, it's not close, the Bengals have a need, he's the pick unless they Bengal this up. 

11 hours ago, T-Dub said:

We hope we got the LT..  Even so who backs him up? You're happy with Hart at RT? None of the interior OL are stand-outs. Ditto the LB's unless we count Lawson/Hubbard, both of who have been hurt a lot. Same at WR, few have been reliable.  Then Mixon isn't in the game on 3rd & inches from a few yards outsiARARRHRHHHHHHHHHH.

If we don't trade down they need to refit in free agency and you know how that's gone...

Of course we hope we have out LT, but we won't be spending another pick on a LT without finding out, and you don't take a backup LT with the first round pick. No of course I'm not happy with Hart, but again you don't take a RT that high...now if we drop to 5 or below there is a precedent with the organization taking a RT that high (Andre Smith), but the way it's going right now I'm not expecting us to be below #3 overall. Is there a LB worthy of the top pick? I don't see it.  I mean we may take a WR I guess, but I kinda doubt it, I think it's more likely AJ gets tagged.

Of course we need a number of positions but as you said unless we trade down....

44 minutes ago, membengal said:

With THIS team's history of injured college draft picks? LOL - NOOOOO. 

Stop overthinking this. Joe Burrow is one of the best QBs of all-time at the collegiate level, he is running a pro-style offense where he already has the ability to check into and out of plays at the line, and has been involved in helping to shape gameplans. He's shredded SEC defenses stacked with NFL quality players en route the most accurate season a college QB has ever had. And he's athletic to boot and can make plays in and out of the pocket. He's the #1 pick, it's not close, the Bengals have a need, he's the pick unless they Bengal this up. 

If Burrow had the arm strength this wouldn't even be up for discussion.

18 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

If Burrow had the arm strength this wouldn't even be up for discussion.

His arm strength is above average. It just isn't an all-time gun. It doesn't have to be. The arm strength thing is beyond overblown. He's got better arm strength than this team's current starting QB, as a baseline.

8 minutes ago, membengal said:

His arm strength is above average. It just isn't an all-time gun. It doesn't have to be. The arm strength thing is beyond overblown. He's got better arm strength than this team's current starting QB, as a baseline.

Josh Rosen has a very strong arm.  Maybe we can get him from the Dolphins and let the quarterback whisperer Zac Taylor work some magic!

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2019/12/tua-tagovailoa-explains-moment-he-injured-hip-initial-confusion.html

Tua kind of scares me now.  He said a couple of days ago he might not ever be the same after the hip injury.  Something about his body not rotating the same.

My big worry would be is he one of those guys though he is physically fully healed, mentally he can never get the "injury" out of his head while on the field.  

Archived