Bengals first overall draft pick scenarios...

If the Bengals don't blow it and start winning (hahaha), who should they pick #1?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. The Bengals select...

• Tua Tagovailoa
    • Chase Young
    • Joe Burrow
    • Trade down for multiple picks

11 hours ago, Bengal_Buckeye said:

The funny thing is everyone talking taking a qb with the top pick. The NFL is a passing league so what do you need to stop it. A great pass rush and good db’s. How many times has BALTIMORE won the SB with an average qb and a top notch defense. What’s that saying? Defense wins championships.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

Once. Their 2nd SB Flacco had an all-time great postseason. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy D said:

Why would C.Young return to school?  

And if he really weren't, but said he was, why would he say he was?  

I don't know if this is meant to be rhetorical, but the precedents set by others are probably a good clue to both questions:

1. Why stay?  Remember Matt Lienart went back to USC even though he was pretty much guaranteed to be the #1 overall pick?  He said it was because he had "more to do" (football wise) but it came out pretty quick that the guy was addicted to partying/lavish attention.  IMO that's the ONLY reason to return in this circumstance, ill-advised or no.  If the guy is doing what makes him happy, good for him.  The other possibility that was touched on in this thread was that he simply doesn't want anything to do with the teams at the top of the draft, and would rather stay in school - but if he *wants* the money and he *wants* to play, that's just plain dumb because the same teams have a high probability of being back at the "top" again next season.

2. Why would he say he is if he isn't?  Regardless of any reality for him, the team still has the playoffs coming.  If I were a coach I'd ask my best player to show absolute loyalty until the playoffs are done, including being non-committal when asked questions about the draft/leaving school.  His teammates probably know the real answer regardless, but it keeps the fans pumped and keeps "positivity"/hope around the team.  What I'm hearing now is that he or his camp are saying he was perhaps 'taken out of context" and that he didn't commit either way.  I'd chalk that up to his handlers/lawyers/designated agents/etc are freaking out.

18 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

I don't know if this is meant to be rhetorical, but the precedents set by others are probably a good clue to both questions:

1. Why stay?  Remember Matt Lienart went back to USC even though he was pretty much guaranteed to be the #1 overall pick?  He said it was because he had "more to do" (football wise) but it came out pretty quick that the guy was addicted to partying/lavish attention.  IMO that's the ONLY reason to return in this circumstance, ill-advised or no.  If the guy is doing what makes him happy, good for him.  The other possibility that was touched on in this thread was that he simply doesn't want anything to do with the teams at the top of the draft, and would rather stay in school - but if he *wants* the money and he *wants* to play, that's just plain dumb because the same teams have a high probability of being back at the "top" again next season.

2. Why would he say he is if he isn't?  Regardless of any reality for him, the team still has the playoffs coming.  If I were a coach I'd ask my best player to show absolute loyalty until the playoffs are done, including being non-committal when asked questions about the draft/leaving school.  His teammates probably know the real answer regardless, but it keeps the fans pumped and keeps "positivity"/hope around the team.  What I'm hearing now is that he or his camp are saying he was perhaps 'taken out of context" and that he didn't commit either way.  I'd chalk that up to his handlers/lawyers/designated agents/etc are freaking out.

Your explanation makes sense.  He very well could be enamored with the limelight at College, but if it were me, and i'm going to be a top one, two or three, i'd take the money and run.  I could get dinged, have a down season, and lose my slotting, or worse, career ended.  Also makes sense a coach would expect his players to be non-commital about future plans, to keep the focus where it ought to be.  

12 hours ago, Bengal_Buckeye said:

Stop living in a dream world. The only way this team gets better is by the draft.

For this team to get better via the draft, we'd have to consistently draft better than the other teams in our division. There's no evidence we've done that lately and indeed lots of evidence we haven't. The only way this team gets better is Mike Brown's death or incapacity, perhaps a stroke or alzheimers.  Or being forced to sell the team.

16 hours ago, Bengal_Buckeye said:

The funny thing is everyone talking taking a qb with the top pick. The NFL is a passing league so what do you need to stop it. A great pass rush and good db’s. How many times has BALTIMORE won the SB with an average qb and a top notch defense. What’s that saying? Defense wins championships.

I can't believe these opinions still exist. What is it with Ohio State fans? 

34 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

I can't believe these opinions still exist. What is it with Ohio State fans? 

At this point it's silly NOT to at least consider it.  A great DE will make an offense change their game plan and a great D will keep you in most games.  As for QBs, they're being school and groomed from an early age and it seems to be a little easier to find a good QB than it once was. On top of that, college offenses are running pro concepts and vice versa so the learning curve isn't as steep as it once was.  You still have busts, but most of us were able to see those from a mile away (Lynch, Trubisky).

Let's look at some 1st round QBs lately:

2016:

Goff - average

Wentz - good (still lots of upside)

Paxton Lynch - bust

2017:

Trubisky - bust

Mahomes - great

Watson - great

2018:

Baker - solid (it's a cluster up there, but Baker is a good QB)

Darnold - below average, but still a chance

Josh Allen - good

Rosen - bust (2 bad organizations)

Lamar - great

2019:

Kyler - average, but a ton of upside

Haskins - below average, but a horrible situation in DC -- and it's his rookie year

Of the 13 first round QBs taken in the first round over the last four years, 10 feel like they have their franchise guy and aren't looking for a QB any time soon.  With those odds, it may make more sense to build a good team and then add the QB last if possible.  Of the three QBs that I don't think will make it (Lynch, Trubisky, Rosen), two of the had bad teams around them or the franchise was in disarray. 

Quit looking at this from a football stand point.   Burrow will be the pick period.  The reason is VERY simple:  The Bengals have the worst home attendance in the NFL BY far if you don't count the Carson California Chargers.   Bengals are at 72% home attendance.  Tampa is at 78%.   The next worst team is Jacksonville at 89%.  The attendance is TERRIBLE and the short term solution is Athens Ohio's own Heisman trophy winner Joe Burrow.  

6 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

No, it's used from Sub-committees to Hollywood, to Corporations, to major media outlets...even by I'm-in-school-I'm-going-to-stay-in-school-I-might-stay-in-school-who-said-I-was-staying-in-school neo-professional athletes.     

I was thinking it was simply a desperate move to convince the Redskins and Bengals NOT to consider him. If the Giants are picking 2nd  I am sure he will enter the draft since the Red Rifle sealed his fate yesterday and we are picking Burrow.   Now if the Redskins lose to the Giants which is certainly possible, he could possibly reconsider.  Miami and NYG are good places to play, WAS and CIN not so much. 

4 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I was thinking it was simply a desperate move to convince the Redskins and Bengals NOT to consider him. If the Giants are picking 2nd  I am sure he will enter the draft since the Red Rifle sealed his fate yesterday.

Agree.  Very much.

BOOM!

See, I ain't so bad after all.

Then it would be a pretty pathetic and disingenuous statement. I do not, however, believe Chase the Young is that sort of person. 

NYG would be unpleasant, if one thinks that he will be constantly on the field, with the offense at sub-20 minutes a game possession. Oh, but those big city lights and 90 percent income taxes! Or living in a reclaimed landfill that is Jersey on the Hudson.  

10 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Then it would be a pretty pathetic and disingenuous statement. I do not, however, believe Chase the Young is that sort of person. 

NYG would be unpleasant, if one thinks that he will be constantly on the field, with the offense at sub-20 minutes a game possession. Oh, but those big city lights and 90 percent income taxes! Or living in a reclaimed landfill that is Jersey on the Hudson.  

Nahh man, its all about the brand.   Young is going to be a hot commodity in Manhattan hanging with Jay-Z and the in crowd and going to Brooklyn Nets games which is what all the cool kids will be doing next year (The Knicks are an old man's team) .  On the flip side you got lil Wayne, Pit Bull and Vanilla Ice down in Miami!  Maybe get lucky and catch a 2 Live Crew reunion gig! (that would seriously be awesome).

I was kidding about Young anyways,  I simply can't see him giving up $27 mil plus guaranteed over 4 years because of the team he is drafted by.   Add in the probable $20 mil for a 5th year tender or more for a new contract if he plays well.    That said, NYC or Miami is where any young stud would rather play than in  DC or Cincy if those were your choices.    He can pick and choose where to sign that 2nd bigger contract if he plays like most think he will. 

58 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Quit looking at this from a football stand point.   Burrow will be the pick period.  The reason is VERY simple:  The Bengals have the worst home attendance in the NFL BY far if you don't count the Carson California Chargers.   Bengals are at 72% home attendance.  Tampa is at 78%.   The next worst team is Jacksonville at 89%.  The attendance is TERRIBLE and the short term solution is Athens Ohio's own Heisman trophy winner Joe Burrow.  

Not to mention Mikey's love of the QB - the 'bell cow'

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

I was thinking it was simply a desperate move to convince the Redskins and Bengals NOT to consider him. If the Giants are picking 2nd  I am sure he will enter the draft since the Red Rifle sealed his fate yesterday and we are picking Burrow.   Now if the Redskins lose to the Giants which is certainly possible, he could possibly reconsider.  Miami and NYG are good places to play, WAS and CIN not so much. 

Here we go again with projecting where certain human beings would prefer to live (and work). Here, we have a dyed in the wool, southeast Ohio boy, who speaks with great passion about where he is from. He speaks with fondness and even a certain reluctance regarding his decision to leave Ohio State for Louisiana. What exactly makes you think Joe Burrow would prefer living in New York or Miami over returning to Ohio? 

For the sake of this discussion, I’ll reiterate that I have actually lived in all of the places you mentioned except DC. I love New York, but I missed Ohio while I was there. It is certainly not a place I ever envisioned raising children or growing old. Miami is a veritable cesspool. Sunshine and beaches are great, but, like anything else in life, once you’ve done them, they lose some of their luster.

Not everyone is in pursuit of being the most famous athlete in a giant city, or a never ending party. Some people prioritize the friendliness of their community, staying near family, and even personal safety. Burrow strikes me as this kinda guy.

Archived