Bengals first overall draft pick scenarios...

If the Bengals don't blow it and start winning (hahaha), who should they pick #1?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. The Bengals select...

• Tua Tagovailoa
    • Chase Young
    • Joe Burrow
    • Trade down for multiple picks

3 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

Here we go again with projecting where certain human beings would prefer to live (and work). Here, we have a dyed in the wool, southeast Ohio boy, who speaks with great passion about where he is from. He speaks with fondness and even a certain reluctance regarding his decision to leave Ohio State for Louisiana. What exactly makes you think Joe Burrow would prefer living in New York or Miami over returning to Ohio? 

For the sake of this discussion, I’ll reiterate that I have actually lived in all of the places you mentioned except DC. I love New York, but I missed Ohio while I was there. It is certainly not a place I ever envisioned raising children or growing old. Miami is a veritable cesspool. Sunshine and beaches are great, but, like anything else in life, once you’ve done them, they lose some of their luster.

Not everyone is in pursuit of being the most famous athlete in a giant city, or a never ending party. Some people prioritize the friendliness of their community, staying near family, and even personal safety. Burrow strikes me as this kinda guy.

I wasn’t talking about Burrow who has no eligibility left, I was talking about Young who hinted he was staying in school so I joked about why. 

Furthermore, if you would have kept reading you would have learned I was kidding and said Young would play for whoever wants to pay him the estimated $27mil guaranteed. 

Man, sorry you wrote all that. 

6 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Sort of like another fine young man from Katy, TX...who is set to be run out of the town he and his family has grown to care a lot about. 

I get it, but such is the life of an NFL QB.  I think he'll land on his feet.  If there's trash on his lawn at least he's not letting that chase him out of town with his tail between his legs.  Andy would go get a rake, and you gotta respect that

JealousShinyHousefly-size_restricted.gif

1 hour ago, Bengal_Buckeye said:

Yeah well that still won’t get me to renew my tickets. I don’t give a crap if he’s from Ohio or not I want the best player for our team. We have bombed on qb’s a lot and never have drafted a de with the skill of Chase Young.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

Sure we have. Guy went to Ohio State as well and was a consensus All American. He was the #1 overall pick and his name was Dan Wilkenson. Did it again in 2001 with a guy named Justin Smith. Haven’t been a fan long huh?  DEs don’t win championships.  

On 12/16/2019 at 9:52 AM, Jimmy D said:

Your explanation makes sense.  He very well could be enamored with the limelight at College, but if it were me, and i'm going to be a top one, two or three, i'd take the money and run.  I could get dinged, have a down season, and lose my slotting, or worse, career ended.  Also makes sense a coach would expect his players to be non-commital about future plans, to keep the focus where it ought to be.  

Completely this.  Dude is not returning to school being a top 1-2 guaranteed pick.  Not happening.  

18 hours ago, SF2 said:

Nahh man, its all about the brand.   Young is going to be a hot commodity in Manhattan hanging with Jay-Z and the in crowd and going to Brooklyn Nets games which is what all the cool kids will be doing next year (The Knicks are an old man's team) .  On the flip side you got lil Wayne, Pit Bull and Vanilla Ice down in Miami!  Maybe get lucky and catch a 2 Live Crew reunion gig! (that would seriously be awesome).

I was kidding about Young anyways,  I simply can't see him giving up $27 mil plus guaranteed over 4 years because of the team he is drafted by.   Add in the probable $20 mil for a 5th year tender or more for a new contract if he plays well.    That said, NYC or Miami is where any young stud would rather play than in  DC or Cincy if those were your choices.    He can pick and choose where to sign that 2nd bigger contract if he plays like most think he will. 

Yep.  It astounds me that anything other than this would is even being considered by anyone.  He will be the second pick in the 2020 draft one way or another.   

7 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I get it, but such is the life of an NFL QB.  I think he'll land on his feet.  If there's trash on his lawn at least he's not letting that chase him out of town with his tail between his legs.  Andy would go get a rake, and you gotta respect that

JealousShinyHousefly-size_restricted.gif

Exactly.  He has played for one team for entire decade.  Half of them were really good years, half of them not so much.  He's no more immune to what is about to happen as anyone else.  To be sure, he is a very good guy.  Class act.  That means fuck all, given the current situation on the field.   

Andy Dalton in playoffs

2011- 27/42, 257yds, 0Td's, 3 Ints, QBR- 51.4, Lost 31-10

2012- 14/30, 127yds, 0Tds, 1 Int, QBR- 44.7, Lost 19-13

2013- 29-51, 334 yds, 1TD, 2Ints, QBR- 67, Lost 27-10

2014- 18/35, 155yds, 0Tds, 0Ints, QBR- 63.4, Lost 26-10

2015- Best statistical season of his career.  Gets hurt in Week 13 (?).  Ironically that ends up being the year the team has the best chance to win their playoff game.  Very well could have won that game with him, but very well could have lost it by an even wider margin.  That's the nature of Dalton.

Regardless, Joe Burrow will be drafted for four reasons......1.) 2011 Playoffs.  2.) 2012 Playoffs.  3.)  2013 Playoffs.  4.) 2014 Playoffs.  

*I realize there were some injuries to his weapons during some of those years, but regardless, a good quarterback would have been able to will their team to a victory somewhere in one of those losses.  Dalton is still the same player, evidenced by his play this past Sunday, in year 9 as he was in his most recent playoff season in 2014.  Marvin was fired after all of those years of not getting it done.  Now its time to replace the player hitched most closely to the coach, the quarterback.  Its not getting any better.  Doesnt matter if he is a "good guy."    

Also, teams like the Chiefs and the Ravens, even way far back with the Packers, had the foresight to that they had an opportunity to replace their signal callers well in advance from when it was expected.  Patrick Mahomes/Alex Smith, Joe Flacco/Lamar Jackson, Brett Favre/Aaron Rodgers.  Thats why they are winners more often that not.  I realize that also goes hand in hand with management, which we all can agree is less than stellar.  Regardless, there is an opportunity with the very first pick in the draft, to make strides to right the ship.  It has to be done.  

4 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Dan was a tackle, and was never a sack master at THE anymore than he was in the NFL. He was an inside disrupter in the Randy White mold, and exceptional at it.

I stand corrected but my point is we have drafted can't miss defensive players like Big Daddy and Justin Smith that never lived up to their draft slot here.  Chase Young is not some new breed of athlete that will break the mold and in fact, teams did very well the last two games limiting the damage he could do with double teams.   That said if he goes to the right team with more than one good player on the line (unlike Justin Smith in Cincy) I expect he will be an excellent player. Going to the Giants, which has always been about its defense, will be a great result for him.   

14 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I stand corrected but my point is we have drafted can't miss defensive players like Big Daddy and Justin Smith that never lived up to their draft slot here.  Chase Young is not some new breed of athlete that will break the mold and in fact, teams did very well the last two games limiting the damage he could do with double teams.   That said if he goes to the right team with more than one good player on the line (unlike Justin Smith in Cincy) I expect he will be an excellent player. Going to the Giants, which has always been about its defense, will be a great result for him.   

We have a pretty good DE, it's the rest of the defense that's weak.

16 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

We have a pretty good DE, it's the rest of the defense that's weak.

Everything starts up front.  If you can stop the run and put pressure on the QB, that makes everyone's job easier.  It speeds up the clock in the QBs head and changes the offensive play calling.  The Giants showed you can't have too many pass rushers -- They had Strahan, Osi and Justin Tuck (who they moved inside a lot).  A line with Dunlap, Hubbard, Chase and Geno would be pretty good next year and setup for life without Geno and Carlos.  I haven't made my mind up on Joe vs. Chase, but I don't think it's cut and dry for either side of the argument.

McShay was on First Take this morning and said lots of scouts are comparing Joe Burrow to...Andy Dalton.  He says he sees more of Carson Wentz, but lots of scouts see Andy.  McShay also said there's one elite talent in this draft and it's Chase Young...who he thinks is better than both of the Bosa brothers.  He thinks Burrow will be the best QB in this draft.  It's just one opinion, but hearing Burrow compared to AD, not Anthony Davis, but Andy Dalton, give me a little pause.

Those scouts are all from (checks notes) Miami...

By the way, here's another reason to make sure we pick #1 ahead of Miami:

Paul Dehner Jr.
@pauldehnerjr
·
30m
If #Bengals are worst AFC team, they will be coaching in the Senior Bowl. Nice advantage, especially when you consider some of the QBs that could be involved.

Not only do we potentially lose Burrow if we let Miami ahead of us by winning our last two, but we also lose out on having our coaches (who are the team scouts of course) working with the senior prospects in the Senior Bowl.

5 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

McShay was on First Take this morning and said lots of scouts are comparing Joe Burrow to...Andy Dalton.  He says he sees more of Carson Wentz, but lots of scouts see Andy.  McShay also said there's one elite talent in this draft and it's Chase Young...who he thinks is better than both of the Bosa brothers.  He thinks Burrow will be the best QB in this draft.  It's just one opinion, but hearing Burrow compared to AD, not Anthony Davis, but Andy Dalton, give me a little pause.

What traits/characteristics, per se, does he compare Burrow to Dalton on?

1 hour ago, thezerawkid said:

What traits/characteristics, per se, does he compare Burrow to Dalton on?

McShay didn't really expand on what the scouts who compared him to AD said.  McShay compared Burrow to Carson Wentz based on his running ability and toughness.  If I had to guess, the AD comparisons are in arm strength and pre snap reads. 

28 minutes ago, Bengal_Buckeye said:

Justin Smith was never a elite pass rusher and Big Daddy dominated college but was lazy. Stop with the he needs to go where he has help just you can get your over hyped savior in Joe Burrow. We drafted a few qb’s in the first round and none were elite qb’s. Burrow has had one good year and everyone thinks he is the next Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Did Palmer live up to his draft position or Klingler? How about Akili Smith? You keep talking about how we can’t get dl to live up to the hype. Justin was a solid player for us and was a big part of the miners defense so he wasn’t a bust. He was never considered the best player in college football like Young is.

Not sure why you are talking to me,  I am not the person who will be drafting Joe Burrow, that would be the Cincinnati Bengals.  I will send them an email and voice your concerns to them but they don’t even know who I am. 

Burrow will put more asses in the seats than Young.  Taylor is an offensively minded coach. Dalton is playing like crap.  Dunlap is still very good.  Rant all you want but this isn’t hard to figure out. 

large.6EF2E833-1009-47C9-BF84-53026C06C8D4.jpeg

2 hours ago, Bengal_Buckeye said:

Oh really. And how has the chiefs done with that sorry defense. I also think until Jackson has more than one good year don’t make him out to be a hof player. Rodgers sat behind a hof qb in Brett Fabre. I guess Burrow will learn from Dalton. Sounds great since most on here think Dalton sucks. Good call.

😂.  Seriously fellas, who let this fool in here?

Could it be set up any better?  The kid is from Athens, Ohio.  Originally went to Ohio State.  Transferred to where else?  Louisiana State Tigers.  Also known as the Bayou Bengals.  Just so happens that the Cincinnati Bengals have the first overall pick and need a quarterback.  And, oh yeah, the kid can play.  Its the perfect script.    

Archived