Bengals first overall draft pick scenarios...

If the Bengals don't blow it and start winning (hahaha), who should they pick #1?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. The Bengals select...

• Tua Tagovailoa
    • Chase Young
    • Joe Burrow
    • Trade down for multiple picks

9 hours ago, TigerJ@w said:

5 years?  He was stuck behind a very good QB at Ohio St. and he had a very good season last year.  Where do you get 5 years from? 

He didn't have a good year last year at all. I think his completion percentage was around 50%? Yes 5 years. If he was this good, he would've beat out those other quarterbacks. It's risky to me. I think you take as close to a sure thing as you can get at #1.

46 minutes ago, spicoli said:

If he was that good he should have beat out Dwayne Haskins...the dude that threw for 50 tds last year? Seriously?

Yes. He had the opportunity to beat Haskins out before he threw for 50 TDs and couldn't do it. Maybe he will be a great NFL QB. I dunno. If they think he's the guy then I'm all for it, but I have my doubts as to how his game will translate to the NFL. I'm just not passing up on Chase Young. 

43 minutes ago, OneHeartBeat said:

Yes. He had the opportunity to beat Haskins out before he threw for 50 TDs and couldn't do it. Maybe he will be a great NFL QB. I dunno. If they think he's the guy then I'm all for it, but I have my doubts as to how his game will translate to the NFL. I'm just not passing up on Chase Young. 

He’s literally running a pro style offense now. How will his game translate? Seamlessly. 

7 minutes ago, membengal said:

He’s literally running a pro style offense now. How will his game translate? Seamlessly. 

It looks like a spread offense to me. Has he been under center at all? If he's the guy then I'm cool with it, but, I'm a little hesitant when looking at the entire body of work over five years. If he's the guy, they have to upgrade the OL in FA or he will get killed at this level and his confidence destroyed. Also, I have very little faith in this coaching staff to play to his strengths. Maybe if I had more faith in this coaching staff, I would feel better about it. It will be an interesting offseason for sure.

Burrow reminds me of a young Rothlisberger coming out of Miami with the way he moves around in the pocket and the way he’s able to shrug off would be tacklers just due to his sheer size/strength. He’s just a guy that has a feel for the pocket that can’t be taught...much like Ben did coming out. 

40 minutes ago, OneHeartBeat said:

It looks like a spread offense to me. Has he been under center at all? If he's the guy then I'm cool with it, but, I'm a little hesitant when looking at the entire body of work over five years. If he's the guy, they have to upgrade the OL in FA or he will get killed at this level and his confidence destroyed. Also, I have very little faith in this coaching staff to play to his strengths. Maybe if I had more faith in this coaching staff, I would feel better about it. It will be an interesting offseason for sure.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001087465/article/heisman-winner-joe-burrow-solidifies-status-as-top-draft-pick

Chase Young = Jadeveon Clowney

Very good, solid player, but I don't think he should be the first pick.

He is somewhat of a "tweener".

Not quite big enough for a DE and too big for a LB.

However I do think his size is perfect for a OLB in a 3/4 defense

15 hours ago, Jason said:

Jonah Williams starts at LT next year.  Draft a RT with second pick.  Burrow is playing behind a better line.  Especially if they can get Cordy Glenn on board with playing guard.

Starters

OC Hopkins

OG Glenn

OG FA

OT Williams

OT #2

Reserves

Price

Jordan

Swing Tackle - Mid Rd Pick

One of Hart, Miller, Jerry, Johnson & Prince

12 hours ago, SF2 said:

The reality is Burrow is a risk, especially if he ends up here.  He will have the same issues as Haskins has in Washington.  If Jonah Hill err Williams plays well and Glenn stays and plays  the o line will be OK.  The big question is does Dalton stay another year?   I can’t see that.  Do you take Burrow and have nothing behind him?   How about bringing in Mariotta on a short deal and Burrow?

Young is by far the safest pick.  There is no reason to think he will falter.  It is one of the easiest positions to predict success for based on college film and measurables.  He will instantly make the defense better most likely. 

It is a tough choice to be honest.  It is extremely rare a rookie QB plays great. Point is game reps are huge for QB development and a full year in the league makes a HUGE difference.   Young is probably an instant pro bowl player. 

Whether the Red Rocket stays or not (for me) depends on whether they can get a 3rd rounder (or better) or a starter upgrade at another spot.  If I can't (likely), I hold onto him.  I don't think Dalton will be a locker room issue, I believe he'll help Burrow and he's probably a better backup option than anyone the bring in.  You can also deal him at the deadline next year if someone's in need of a QB.  Again though, I want a 3rd rounder or talent equivalent.  I say a 3rd rounder because if you hold onto him and let him walk, you'll probably get a 3rd Rd comp.

2 hours ago, OneHeartBeat said:

How many QBs these days (college or pro) have that much experience under center?

The pros are really running “college style offenses” at this point.

regradless, burrow’s OC at LSU just arrived from the saints and brought the Sean Payton style offense with him, which burrow used to murder college football this year, so, yeah, not really worried on if his game can translate. It translates.

On 11/13/2019 at 12:55 AM, Catfish Bob said:

Trade down and take all big uglies. We basically need 8 linemen and 3 backers. 

I'll settle for another year of Dalton if they focus on the core. 

I like the first part, I can't handle another Dalton season. Just get Kap or Dak or anyone else. Dalton blows.

5 hours ago, OneHeartBeat said:

He didn't have a good year last year at all. I think his completion percentage was around 50%? Yes 5 years. If he was this good, he would've beat out those other quarterbacks. It's risky to me. I think you take as close to a sure thing as you can get at #1.

Just goes to show you never watched him play, it was more along the lines of near 60 percent and probably in the toughest conference in college football.  It was his first year starting.  What did you want?  Plus, he ran the ball for almost 400 yards and 7 TDs running.  

46 minutes ago, sois said:

Andy and Boyd should apologize to the people who are paying their massive salaries for SUCKING so bad this year.   One fucking win?  6 points in the first half against the worst defense in the NFL?  two 3 and outs in OT?  The team is has won 3 of its last 28 games.  It hasn't scored an opening  2nd half possession touchdown in 21 games.  Fuck you two thinking we need to hero worship a 1-14 team.   What bullshit. 

We are not quitting, we are actively cheering on the best strategy to fix this horrible team and that is to secure the first pick in the draft.  Having that pick gives you incredible flexibility to make deals before draft day (I doubt we do though LOL).     Guess why the club will be picking first?  Because you guys sucked!

39 minutes ago, sois said:

He is just sour he is getting the boot!  Good Riddance!  Maybe he shouldn’t throw idiotic throws and the fans would then root for him and the team.  Oh, how about win games.  The past 4 seasons says it all.  I can’t wait to see him fail again with another loser team since I am not a fan. 

1 hour ago, sois said:

I like the first part, I can't handle another Dalton season. Just get Kap or Dak or anyone else. Dalton blows.

Mariota or Bridgewater?   NO WAY we get Dak, LOL.  Talk about bitter, from Jerryworld to Brownville.   Not saying Mariota or Bridgewater is the answer but maybe.  No to Jameis "Int Machine" Winston. 

1 hour ago, TigerJ@w said:

Just goes to show you never watched him play, it was more along the lines of near 60 percent and probably in the toughest conference in college football.  It was his first year starting.  What did you want?  Plus, he ran the ball for almost 400 yards and 7 TDs running.  

We'll see how he does in the CFP. Maybe he will change my mind, but I doubt it.

3 minutes ago, OneHeartBeat said:

We'll see how he does in the CFP. Maybe he will change my mind, but I doubt it.

He’s already rained a couple thousand yards and a couple dozen TDs on Alabama, Auburn, Florida , Georgia and miss state . And Texas. 

I mean, damn. But, sure, more to prove I guess?

Archived