Bengals first overall draft pick scenarios...

If the Bengals don't blow it and start winning (hahaha), who should they pick #1?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. The Bengals select...

• Tua Tagovailoa
    • Chase Young
    • Joe Burrow
    • Trade down for multiple picks

12 minutes ago, membengal said:

He’s already rained a couple thousand yards and a couple dozen TDs on Alabama, Auburn, Florida , Georgia and miss state . And Texas. 

I mean, damn. But, sure, more to prove I guess?

SEC defenses were down this year lol.  But....he's the savior. Like I said....we'll see.

10 minutes ago, membengal said:

Burrow is a 23-year-old fifth year who graduated college in three years and in a pro-style offense. The value in rookie QB contracts is immediate - but they have to play. Making him sit behind anyone is a waste of time.

Yeah, and we just aren’t seeing this much anymore. Not like we used to, at least.

It did work for Carson...but that was eons ago. And, we can’t be so sure Carson wouldn’t have had success his rookie campaign had he played.

The college game, particularly in the B10 and the SEC, is played with such an astoundingly high amount of speed and intensity, the learning curve for the high round guys from some of those schools is much lower than ever before.

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

Andy and Boyd should apologize to the people who are paying their massive salaries for SUCKING so bad this year.   One fucking win?  6 points in the first half against the worst defense in the NFL?  two 3 and outs in OT?  The team is has won 3 of its last 28 games.  It hasn't scored an opening  2nd half possession touchdown in 21 games.  Fuck you two thinking we need to hero worship a 1-14 team.   What bullshit. 

We are not quitting, we are actively cheering on the best strategy to fix this horrible team and that is to secure the first pick in the draft.  Having that pick gives you incredible flexibility to make deals before draft day (I doubt we do though LOL).     Guess why the club will be picking first?  Because you guys sucked!

Exactly. Those two fuckers can try some empathy. I’ve been a fan for 33 years. I’ve spent far more of my life giving a shit about the Bengals. I have spent my hard earned money over the years supporting this franchise, of which I have significantly less than them. And, speaking of money, they’re being paid truckfuls of money to be in Cincinnati. 

Yeah, fuck US for wanting the most competitive advantage we can in next year’s draft after sitting through this season of utter drivel. 

14 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

What about his game, specifically, gives you pause?

His entire body of work is not worthy of the #1 overall pick IMO. I think one-year wonders are risky compared to guys who have been solid from the moment they stepped on the field (Tua, Lawrence, Fields, Bosa brothers, Young). His arm is slightly above average. He's drawn comparisons to Dalton and Wentz.  I can live with it if he's the guy they pick. I just don't think he's the best prospect. 

37 minutes ago, OneHeartBeat said:

His entire body of work is not worthy of the #1 overall pick IMO. I think one-year wonders are risky compared to guys who have been solid from the moment they stepped on the field (Tua, Lawrence, Fields, Bosa brothers, Young). His arm is slightly above average. He's drawn comparisons to Dalton and Wentz.  I can live with it if he's the guy they pick. I just don't think he's the best prospect. 

Very reasonable response.  I am a big time OSU and LSU fan.  I think Tua is a far better QB but with the hip injury no way I take that risk this high up.  Tua has made some breath taking passes in HUGE games over the years.  Crying shame if his hip is his undoing.   I love Joe Burrow but he reminds me of Jake Locker, Christian Ponder and Blaine Gabbert.  Teams just needing a QB and the chart said this guy is next.  Funny how Dalton completely outplayed all of them.   

13 hours ago, Big Alice said:

Fuuuuuuck that.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

LOL. Actually, giving Mariota a shot would be a better strategy if you go Chase Young. He has actually won a playoff game. Change of scenery might do him wonders. Not sold on Bridgewater and Winston throws too many picks. 

I love Joe Burrow but I think it is a risky pick and I am an LSU homer. Tua is a better QB but that injury can’t be ignored. 

After the last 3 years Dalton needs to go. Low 20s QB who wilts under pressure and is 6 years older than Mariota. People forget just how young Mariota is. 

14 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Young in R1

Mariotta as a stop gap.

Jordan Love in R2. 

Yeah, no. Love likely gone earlier in round 1.

your scenario nets this team the true version 2.0 of dalton in Jake Fromme.

i know everyone wants to overthink this, but it is Burrow if the bengals have an ounce of competence left. 

we can spend the draft run-up figuring out which tackles or guards or LBers might slip to top of second round.

16 minutes ago, membengal said:

Yeah, no. Love likely gone earlier in round 1.

your scenario nets this team the true version 2.0 of dalton in Jake Fromme.

i know everyone wants to overthink this, but it is Burrow if the bengals have an ounce of competence left. 

we can spend the draft run-up figuring out which tackles or guards or LBers might slip to top of second round.

Mariota has had 4 different offensive coordinators in 5 years.  His best receiver has been Delanie Walker, a tight end.  Green, Boyd, Eifert and Tate would be light years better than what he has had for weapons.  

I agree Fromm is not an option.  Bright lights make him pee.  Honestly I don’t like Burrow at 1. 

1 minute ago, membengal said:

I don’t want a Fromme and a stopgap.

i want this team to actually take a swing at a franchise qb.

Well if Tua has not gotten hurt I would agree. Definitely no to Fromme. I like Justin Herbert more than Burrow but not at 1. 

20 minutes ago, mojo said:

This team might actually reinjure itself taking a swing at a franchise QB.  I think they tore their Akili’s tendon a few years back.  LOL!

Sign Mariota. NY Giants start sweating. Swap picks with them if they are #2, they want Young.  Swap again with Miami after entertaining other offers for one of their 1st round picks.  Take Herbert. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

LOL. Actually, giving Mariota a shot would be a better strategy if you go Chase Young. He has actually won a playoff game. Change of scenery might do him wonders. Not sold on Bridgewater and Winston throws too many picks. 

I love Joe Burrow but I think it is a risky pick and I am an LSU homer. Tua is a better QB but that injury can’t be ignored. 

After the last 3 years Dalton needs to go. Low 20s QB who wilts under pressure and is 6 years older than Mariota. People forget just how young Mariota is. 

dillon wilts under pressure? i understand thats a general perception , but seriouisly since Whit and Zigler left 3 years ago the other general perception has been the OL has sucked.  you cant have it both ways. 

17 hours ago, OneHeartBeat said:

SEC defenses were down this year lol. 

So what? They’re still loaded with NFL talent.

Bama likely has 3 first round picks on that defense and all Burrow did was put up almost 400 yards on 31-38 passing w/ 3 tds and 65 rushing yards against them. That’s the closest thing to a NFL defense as there is and he completely decimated them. 

12 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Should Chase the Young plant Super Joe a few times—and generally harass him—in the Championship Game, will that sway anybody? 

Surely would be something to think about.

There will be several players see their NFL draft potential rise and fall during the bowl games and that is the next box to check off.  Breakout players could make their decision about declaring for the draft based on their bowl game performance. 

29 minutes ago, stryker57 said:

dillon wilts under pressure? i understand thats a general perception , but seriouisly since Whit and Zigler left 3 years ago the other general perception has been the OL has sucked.  you cant have it both ways. 

General Perception?   
Monday Night: 2-5

Playoffs:0-4

VS Stealers: 3-13. 

Most of that occurred while Whit and “Zeigler” were here. 

17 minutes ago, spicoli said:

So what? They’re still loaded with NFL talent.

Bama likely has 3 first round picks on that defense and all Burrow did was put up almost 400 yards on 31-38 passing w/ 3 tds and 65 rushing yards against them. That’s the closest thing to a NFL defense as there is and he completely decimated them. 

Superman and the Avengers say “hi!”

(Joel Klatt’s nickname for the Ohio State defense in case you don’t remember.)

Archived