Bengals first overall draft pick scenarios...

If the Bengals don't blow it and start winning (hahaha), who should they pick #1?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. The Bengals select...

• Tua Tagovailoa
    • Chase Young
    • Joe Burrow
    • Trade down for multiple picks

13 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Should Chase the Young plant Super Joe a few times—and generally harass him—in the Championship Game, will that sway anybody? 

Not in a championship game but since the 2020 opponents were announced

there is a good chance of seeing Chase Young Chase Joe all over the field.

Then the board will go wild with "we should have drafted Chase" posts.

37 minutes ago, Jason said:

Superman and the Avengers say “hi!”

(Joel Klatt’s nickname for the Ohio State defense in case you don’t remember.)

Yeah this year that’s probably accurate. 

Young/Okuda/Wade all first rounders. 

18 hours ago, membengal said:

Burrow is a 23-year-old fifth year who graduated college in three years and in a pro-style offense. The value in rookie QB contracts is immediate - but they have to play. Making him sit behind anyone is a waste of time.

just curious 5th year college player that graduated in 3 years? what did he do the other 2? 

16 hours ago, SF2 said:

I love Joe Burrow but he reminds me of Jake Locker, Christian Ponder and Blaine Gabbert

If those guys would have had Burrows moxie and feel for the game, they all would have been pro-bowlers. 

That’s the difference between Burrow and everyone else. He simply has a feel for the game and natural instincts for the position that can’t be taught. Not to mention he’s a 4.0 student that could have been in med school right now. 

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Not in a championship game but since the 2020 opponents were announced

there is a good chance of seeing Chase Young Chase Joe all over the field.

Then the board will go wild with "we should have drafted Chase" posts.

I would expect the should have reactions, regardless of which one gets taken.

1 minute ago, spicoli said:

If those guys would have had Burrows moxie and feel for the game, they all would have been pro-bowlers. 

That’s the difference between Burrow and everyone else. He simply has a feel for the game and natural instincts for the position that can’t be taught. Not to mention he’s a 4.0 student that could have been in med school right now. 

I agree with this. There are QB's with the 'it' that simply lack talent and can't pull it off and there are QB's with talent but not the 'it' and simply dont seem to make it either. The Athletic had an article on the CP pick and there were scouts at the time concerned he was not really a leader, a bit of a wallflower, etc. CP never struck me as 'driven' so to speak to succeed. Burrow seems to be in this mode, Tua is as well really to bad about his injury.

Mo Egger article in the Athletic today starts with this...

Over the last 3 1/2 decades since I decided as a very young boy to pledge my allegiance to the Cincinnati Bengals, I’ve come to realize that being a fan of this franchise comes with just one guarantee. It’s that there’s no such thing as rock bottom.....

21 minutes ago, spicoli said:

This.  I'm a member of an OSU website that is based largely on recruiting. and has inside sources with OSU.  People around Burrow were saying he had the "it factor" from early in his OSU career.  Had Ryan Day been head coach 3 or 4 years ago Burrow might have started over Barrett.  Meyer loved JT, and was loyal to him, even after he had made it clear he was not a very good passer.

1 hour ago, stryker57 said:

just curious 5th year college player that graduated in 3 years? what did he do the other 2

Play for LSU.  Work on an advanced degree?  He was a graduate transfer when he left OSU, which is why he was able to play immediately.

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

Well if Tua has not gotten hurt I would agree. Definitely no to Fromme. I like Justin Herbert more than Burrow but not at 1. 

I could not disagree more on your assessment of Herbert over Burrow. Nothing more to talk about if that is where you are at.

whether or not Burrow ever becomes a franchise qb, who knows, but he has that skill set worth taking a swing on. Passing on that possibility to hope for a Fromme or Love is to repeat the 2011 draft and the decade of dalton again. I want to try for another Palmer type (hopefully without the knee assignation this time).

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

We're just going to have to disagree on our assessment of Burrow. I'm not using the #1 pick on a guy with moxie, and the "it" factor (which many on hear claimed Dalton had back in the day) and one outstanding season. Those who have compared his skill set to CP must not be watching the same quarterback I am. Again, I could be totally wrong and I'm going to be on board if he's the pick I love that he's from SE Ohio and that he seems like a great character guy.

If it were me, I'm aggressive in FA, I'm taking Young #1 and I'm trading back in to the 1st and getting Tua. Everything I've read is that he's expected to make a full recovery, and he's been dominant since he took the field.

2 hours ago, OneHeartBeat said:

Everything I've read is that he's expected to make a full recovery, and he's been dominant since he took the field.

Yeah, when he hasn't been hurt. Why would you expect someone to stay consistently healthy in the pros though when he's never done it in college? 

It'll all be moot anyways once he goes back to school for another year so I guess it doesn't really matter. 

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

It all starts and ends at the top. We know it, coaches would know and players would know it. This concept seems to be lost on many but it is a proven truth of any organization.

That is a cop out. Don’t make this out of their element Coaching staff so blameless. They are not androids or children. 

I know your default setting is eternally stuck, but do try and deviate just a little.

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

That is a cop out. Don’t make this out of their element Coaching staff so blameless. They are not androids or children. 

I know your default setting is eternally stuck, but do try and deviate just a little.

Who hired the coaches? And who will also refuse to admit the mistake and not fire them?

Good leaders accept responsibility, plain and simple. Everything this team is and everything it does comes from Mike Brown and the Inbreds. I would like to see this group come out and say they made mistakes and they have not provided the organization the opportunity to succeed. But that will never happen. And the culture of this team will never change until changes are made at the top. I am not being stubborn about this, it is simply how organizations function. It is human nature. Most of not all the coaches right now are trash but good luck finding better ones with the loser cultural this team has. 

The bottomline is this team will forever be at a disadvantage because ownership refuses to spend the dough on the resources needed to keep them on equal footing with the rest of the league. Towels, gatorade, jock straps, scouts, FA's, indoor practice field, etc...if the rest of the league is doing it and you are not, you are absolutely at a disadvantage. Plain and simple. 

Archived