Bengals first overall draft pick scenarios...

If the Bengals don't blow it and start winning (hahaha), who should they pick #1?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. The Bengals select...

• Tua Tagovailoa
    • Chase Young
    • Joe Burrow
    • Trade down for multiple picks

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

There is also a golf adage: 100% of all putts hit short, fail to go in.   

I think that was a Trevino quote.  Here is a good one from him:  "You can make a lot of money in this game. Just ask my ex-wives. Both of them are so rich that neither of their husbands work."

Another favorite is "If you see a beautiful woman alone at the end of the bar just remember, somebody else got tired of her shit."

As far as Burrow goes, I think he is the best QB in the draft. My problem is my lack of faith in the organization to surround him with the personnel to be wildly successful.  I have a bad feeling it will be a Matthew Stafford situation or similar to Carson's time here.   I imagine if the Patriots, Stealers (vomits in mouth) or Saints got him he would be the next coming of Manning, Brady or Rodgers.  

14 minutes ago, Go Tory Go! said:

Lots of jacking off, most likely

Or, worked on his Masters - and finished the program to receive his M.A.  Which is what he did in addition to jacking off. While also winning the LSU job in 2018 and then the Heisman campaign of 2019. 

https://www.10tv.com/article/joe-burrow-earns-masters-degree-lsu-2019-dec

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

I think that was a Trevino quote.  Here is a good one from him:  "You can make a lot of money in this game. Just ask my ex-wives. Both of them are so rich that neither of their husbands work."

Another favorite is "If you see a beautiful woman alone at the end of the bar just remember, somebody else got tired of her shit."

As far as Burrow goes, I think he is the best QB in the draft. My problem is my lack of faith in the organization to surround him with the personnel to be wildly successful.  I have a bad feeling it will be a Matthew Stafford situation or similar to Carson's time here.   I imagine if the Patriots, Stealers (vomits in mouth) or Saints got him he would be the next coming of Manning, Brady or Rodgers.  

I think deep down this is why some fans do not want to draft him or Young - they know he will not be set up to succeed in all likelihood

31 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I think deep down this is why some fans do not want to draft him or Young - they know he will not be set up to succeed in all likelihood

I am not worried about Young.  Great defensive players are typically great wherever they play, Geno Atkins being the perfect example. Defense is based way more on instinct, technique and athleticism than QB.   A great corner can switch teams and play the next game ala Janoris Jenkins with the Saints.  Either Bosa could play for us Sunday and probably play very well.   They can miss a tackle or blow a coverage and its forgotten in a few minutes.  You can 10.5 sacks playing for a crappy Oakland team and the media slobbers all over you. 

It takes a lot to be a "successful" QB and the standard is completely different than that of almost every other position.  QBs have to win playoff games to be successful in most cases.  It takes a quality coaching staff and team to do this.  It is why Brady gets more coverage than Rodgers.  It is why Eli Manning is slobbered over compared to Philip Rivers.    By every measurement Rivers is a FAR better QB but he never had anything close to a good defense most of this career with the Chargers.   J

14 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Burrows may be a good one IF they address the Oline too...

Round 1 Burrow ...

Round 2 and 3 olinemen (dead serious)

Round 4 linebacker...

Sugn a linebacker in free agency ...one that can cover..

The outcome for the Bengals is more likely to be:

Round 1: Chase Young...with the plan to get Tua in Round 2

Round 2: Unfortunately, another team drafts Tua in Round 1.  Typically, the team would now panic...and end up drafting someone they love, that everyone else has a 3rd- or 4th-round grade on.  However, with many hours to contemplate, and listen to offers, we can only hope for a more reasonable outcome. 

Round 3 and beyond, you might as well throw at a dartboard to figure out who the Bengals will pick. 

In the long run, if we took Chase Young this year and Trevor Lawrence next year, we'd be better off. We could get back to the top of the draft for 2021 by playing Dolegala all year. We'd also know if Jonah Williams can play or not. We could probably still lose our way to the top pick while fixing the LBs. 

21 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

In the long run, if we took Chase Young this year and Trevor Lawrence next year, we'd be better off. We could get back to the top of the draft for 2021 by playing Dolegala all year. We'd also know if Jonah Williams can play or not. We could probably still lose our way to the top pick while fixing the LBs. 

Even the Bengals could not get the #1 pick two years in a row - unlikely. As you say they would have to tanks and boy would that not cause fan riots? 

4 minutes ago, sois said:

I like that idea, Young + Dolelaealga = Lawrence.

But Burrow is from Ohio. Mikey Boy will be all over that. It's a done deal. I hope he's good.

He is good, that is not in question. As SF2 noted, the Inbreds have to surround him with talent, especially at OL and OC for him to have the highest chance of success.

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Even the Bengals could not get the #1 pick two years in a row - unlikely. As you say they would have to tanks and boy would that not cause fan riots? 

That's ok, I'm happy with pick 2 next year.  Fields if not Lawrence.

12 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

Trade down. 

Take a RT to pair with our LT from the last draft.

Find AJs replacement. 

Brings up a fart in the wind speculation I have in my little ol' pea brain but don't think is impossible ...

How about Miami offers all three first round picks

plus maybe their second rounder

and maybe maybe their first next year?

Miami takes Chase Young.

Miami's first pick would be in the ballpark for LB Simmons.

From what I read, there are only three linebackers worth a shit for a high pick

in the draft: Simmons, Moses (injured) and the guy from KY.

No way would Simmons last to round two, not sure of the other two or if they would be worth the

first pick in the round.  A reach and our reaches for linebackers (and tight ends) have not been so

super lately.

A boatload of OTs, take a couple in the first two rounds to replace Hart and either play guard

or backup.  We have enough meh Olinemen to upgrade from at least one.

The thought of Joe Mixon behind an all huggy bear OL and bridge quarterback or Andy (if a decent

trade offer does not materialize) with time to throw is enticing.

MikeandKatie love wide receivers.  I do want AJ to stay (contract, not tag), Ross is underwhelming and dainty.

Another speedster with Boyd and Tate ... keep Eifert and develop Sample who I have not given up on.

Why not Tua to see if he recovers and develops?  

Basically, a build a solid frame work this year, quarterback next?

Sure, why not?

But I think Miami will offer something.

6 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

No one knows. He is projected to be but that does not mean all that much

He's got a couple inches in height which is make or break really.  For me my negs on Andy are lack of consistent accuracy which leads to negative plays or plays that aren't what they could be in yards gained.  Lack of Ideal height, which leads to lower angle of attack, which ups the rate of batted passes, which leads to lost plays, which leads in conjunction with substandard Oline play a greater frequency of 3 and outs.  And he lacks the wheels, of say a Russel Wilson, Pat Mahomes, Bart Star, Aaron Rodgers, Dak, or Doug Flutie to extend the play, get out and about, to make up for deficiencies in the Oline.  Andy is a gamer, his decision making is bar none, his reads are good and on point, his arm strength is more than  capable, but he needs, like any pocket bound QB a stout oline to protect him in-order to make hay.  

So what are we getting in Joe Burrow upgrade wise?  I've heard Arm Strength is negligible between the two.  Maybe better owing to frame.  Are his wheels better?  I've heard so.  His height is obviously better thats a fact.  Are his reads better?  That comes by knowing the playbook, reps and the ability to acquire keys quickly.  So for now Andy has the leg up from there by familiarity, but thats negligible.  Reads can be taught and learned in short order.  Joe has been in a Pro-Style Offense for awhile and had award winning success.  We would be getting a Heisman Trophy winner, leading a prestige team, a taller signal caller with purportedly moderate upgrades to arm strength and mobility.  These are definative intangible upgrades upon which you can hang your hat, and build your franchise upon.  

On the other hand there is Chase Young, who is at his position all around otherworldly.  Elite level talent.  Take note and slap your mother shit.

I'm giddy to see what they will do.

You can replace Jameis Winston with Teddy Bridgewater or whoever you think would add wins and excitement!!!! I say Jameis just because the guy puts up a lot of numbers good and bad. Reason I say this is at least you know the type a quarterback you’re getting with the possible free agents out there. And you know what you’re definitely getting with Chase Young. Joe Burrow, the reason he went to  LSU is because he couldn’t make a team so nobody can be sure with him. 

Archived