Bengals first overall draft pick scenarios...

If the Bengals don't blow it and start winning (hahaha), who should they pick #1?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. The Bengals select...

• Tua Tagovailoa
    • Chase Young
    • Joe Burrow
    • Trade down for multiple picks

Burrow = fool’s gold!!!! LSU’s offensive line is unbelievably great. His receivers are the top two receivers in the country. Even his defense is tops in the nation. It is extremely hard for Burrow to fail in his position. He will not have any of the above mentioned luxuries in the NFL with the Bengals. Tough to really grade him.

1 hour ago, Athlete said:

Burrow = fool’s gold!!!! LSU’s offensive line is unbelievably great. His receivers are the top two receivers in the country. Even his defense is tops in the nation. It is extremely hard for Burrow to fail in his position. He will not have any of the above mentioned luxuries in the NFL with the Bengals. Tough to really grade him.

So I suppose Burrow was surrounded by elite protection from the Athens HS line while he smashed record after record in HS too, then?

So? Tua and Herbert are surrounded with talent...so is Justin Fields and Trevor Lawrence.

I'm sorry but this hype train has NO BRAKES

:locomotive:

Anyway we have good DE's, our only starting caliber QB was tragically run over by the team bus around midseason.

Yeah I was one of the ones who voted "trade down" originally, having barely seen any of the players other than highlights.  I watched all of Burrow's performance yesterday and yeah... no debate, you take the guy.  Yes he has a good o-line but he escapes pressure fantastically when it does come, he reads the field really well and he's obviously stupid accurate.  The thing I was most surprised by, considering his season completion percentage, is that he/the team are constantly calling/throwing long pass plays... no dink-and-dunk here, he's legit tearing that shit up.

3 hours ago, Athlete said:

Name me one QB who is playing at the top of the NCAA and doesn't have a good Oline and WRs. 

Posts like this simply do not understand the college game. 

Yes we will have to protect him, but all teams need to protect their QB. There isnt a team in the NFL that has a bad Oline that is going to make let alone win in the playoffs. 

That said there isnt a team in the NFL that has a mediocre QB that is going anywhere.

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Yes we will have to protect him, but all teams need to protect their QB. There isnt a team in the NFL that has a bad Oline that is going to make let alone win in the playoffs. 

That's the issue - we don't have a line to protect him, and chances are we will 'go to war with what we have' - then what?

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I'll give you Dilfer, but Foles was playing like a very good QB in that run, he just hasnt been able to recreate that. 

Also the Dilfers doing that are not as common, and we certainly arent getting anywhere with Andy Dalton

Dilfer had the #1 defense and a good o-line.  Dalton had the #29 defense and a bad o-line. 

58 minutes ago, Cat said:

That's the issue - we don't have a line to protect him, and chances are we will 'go to war with what we have' - then what?

following this logic......we might as well just give up then

20 minutes ago, whodey? said:

I was totally in the Chase Young camp, but after more thought and seeing Burrow light it up yesterday, I believe we make that guy our new franchise quarterback. 

I was too, but I've been swayed as well....................go with Joe!

2 hours ago, Cat said:

Keep in mind going into this season they lost their LT before the season started and their backup LT who was the starter last year who was going to play guard after they lost their starting guard to forced early retirement that happened after the draft and FA. 

I agree that the line has much to be desired and needs upgrading in a few spots, but some of the problems were things they could not anticipate. Having to play a 3rd string LT that should not even be in the league which is your most important position on the line is going to hurt every single team that it happens to I dont care who it is. 

I expect some improvement next year and hope they address at least one guard spot in FA, but well see. 

That said you have to take Burrow, it's not every year that you get the #1 pick and are in a position to take a Heisman winning QB.

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

Dilfer had the #1 defense and a good o-line.  Dalton had the #29 defense and a bad o-line. 

That too

1 hour ago, HOF dan said:

following this logic......we might as well just give up then

Or, maybe not draft a first overall QB and make no moves to protect him, that's a good start?

All I'm saying is, Burrow isn't going to come in here and single handedly fix the blocking,. the shitty tackling, bad playcalling, etc.

23 hours ago, membengal said:

Re: the LSU has played no one crowd - this will be their 6th win over a team ranked in top 10 when LSU played them. And OU came in with the 25th ranked defense nationally. It’s okay to admit that Burrow is REALLY good..

Empty set.  LSU played several great teams.

15 minutes ago, Cat said:

Or, maybe not draft a first overall QB and make no moves to protect him, that's a good start?

All I'm saying is, Burrow isn't going to come in here and single handedly fix the blocking,. the shitty tackling, bad playcalling, etc.

You address QB first,especially when you have the solution sitting right in front of you.

28 minutes ago, Cat said:

Who says they are going to make no moves to protect him?  They have at least 6 more picks, and free agency.

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

Who says they are going to make no moves to protect him?  They have at least 6 more picks, and free agency.

lol thats been the plan for the last 4 years (or longer) why would they start now? by the time we see a decent OL the poor kid will be Klinglerized.  but hey a blind squirrel sometimes finds a nut, lets hope he finds 3 and a couple of LBs , and maybe a DB, and a WR  too

Archived