Bengals first overall draft pick scenarios...

If the Bengals don't blow it and start winning (hahaha), who should they pick #1?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. The Bengals select...

• Tua Tagovailoa
    • Chase Young
    • Joe Burrow
    • Trade down for multiple picks

6 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

That said you have to take Burrow, it's not every year that you get the #1 pick and are in a position to take a Heisman winning QB.

That too

It occurred to me that the last time we were in a position to draft overall 1 with a Heisman QB in the wings, what happened to the franchise was dramatic change. We had a young, energetic coach and went from perennial losers to competitive immediately. 

Palmer didn’t have a happy ending here, but, he had some really good years and was a big part of our resurgence. I feel Burrow can have a similar or even more profound effect on this team. He appears to be made of sterner stuff than old number nine, and given he is from a town not too far up river... well, the narrative seems to make sense.

5 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

It occurred to me that the last time we were in a position to draft overall 1 with a Heisman QB in the wings, what happened to the franchise was dramatic change. We had a young, energetic coach and went from perennial losers to competitive immediately. 

Palmer didn’t have a happy ending here, but, he had some really good years and was a big part of our resurgence. I feel Burrow can have a similar or even more profound effect on this team. He appears to be made of sterner stuff than old number nine, and given he is from a town not too far up river... well, the narrative seems to make sense.

It will all come down to whether he can keep his wife under control...

7 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

Just to be clear Burrow isn't Palmer. He doesn't have Palmer's arm, not that his arm is bad but he doesn't make the same types of throws Palmer did. (Although he has just as good if not better accuracy than Palmer, and obviously has a better completion percentage.)

HOWEVER

There is at least one thing Burrow strikes me as being better than Palmer on, that is the leadership thing. Remember that report about Carson's personality traits and how it didn't lend itself to being a great leader? I've heard the exact opposite about Burro.

14 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Just to be clear Burrow isn't Palmer. He doesn't have Palmer's arm, not that his arm is bad but he doesn't make the same types of throws Palmer did. (Although he has just as good if not better accuracy than Palmer, and obviously has a better completion percentage.)

HOWEVER

There is at least one thing Burrow strikes me as being better than Palmer on, that is the leadership thing. Remember that report about Carson's personality traits and how it didn't lend itself to being a great leader? I've heard the exact opposite about Burro.

His pocket presence and accuracy while throwing is better as well. CP was pure passer, Burrow is more mobile

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

I guess best case scenario would be to sign Bill Callaghan as O-line coach. Then trade Cordy Glenn (and probably something else like Dre K) for Trent Williams. Then sign Scherff in free agency. Then draft Burrow. 

I can't imagine Trent Williams will want to play right tackle, we already have invested in Jonah Williams to be the left tackle.

5 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I can't imagine Trent Williams will want to play right tackle, we already have invested in Jonah Williams to be the left tackle.

For sure. I am not sure the line needs quite as much tweaking as people seem to think. IF Williams is what was supposed to be, then LT is addressed. Hopkins is set at C. What did people think of how Michael Jordan finished up? I don't have an firm opinions on him BUT they did run the ball a fuckton better in the last 8 games of the year. In an ideal world, they upgrade Hart - is that Fred Johnson? I guess not, but I am not awesome at judging how good tackles are found from projects. Would a T at #33 overall who plays on the right side help? For sure, but so would a  LB.  The line needs to still be dealt with, but I don't think it is wholesale a makeover as some seem to default to - assuming Jonah Williams is indeed good to go for 2020 and as advertised coming out of Alabama. 

2 minutes ago, membengal said:

For sure. I am not sure the line needs quite as much tweaking as people seem to think. IF Williams is what was supposed to be, then LT is addressed. Hopkins is set at C. What did people think of how Michael Jordan finished up? I don't have an firm opinions on him BUT they did run the ball a fuckton better in the last 8 games of the year. In an ideal world, they upgrade Hart - is that Fred Johnson? I guess not, but I am not awesome at judging how good tackles are found from projects. Would a T at #33 overall who plays on the right side help? For sure, but so would a  LB.  The line needs to still be dealt with, but I don't think it is wholesale a makeover as some seem to default to - assuming Jonah Williams is indeed good to go for 2020 and as advertised coming out of Alabama. 

I thought Germaine Pratt came on at the end of the year and showed potential.

That said I still would like another LB and upgrading from Heart would be desirable as well, maybe another G or two in FA.

I don't think the team gets fixed in one off season though, I do think we will be better next year, but I think it's gonna take two more drafts before we can talk about playoffs again.

6 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I thought Germaine Pratt came on at the end of the year and showed potential.

Agreed, he definitely got better and in this last game he was a difference maker.

As I watched him yesterday all I could think of was "if Marvin was still here, this dude would still be riding pine in favour of turds like Hardy Nickerson."

4 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

Agreed, he definitely got better and in this last game he was a difference maker.

As I watched him yesterday all I could think of was "if Marvin was still here, this dude would still be riding pine in favour of turds like Hardy Nickerson."

How TF Nickerson is in the NFL..... that dude suuuucccckkkkkssss

At the very least they found themselves two future quality starters in Pratt and Michael Jordan. I thought the running game improved exponentially once they re-inserted Jordan back into the starting line-up around week 10 or so. You could see the game had finally slowed down for him and he was able to just go out there and play loose. I say plug him in at LG next year and don’t look back. Same with Pratt...plug him in at one of the LB spots and don’t look back. 

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Just in case this was intended seriously, Jonah Williams is likely better than Bobby Hart. It is actually allowed and within NFL rules to have 2 good tackles on the field at the same time.

1 minute ago, sparky151 said:

Just in case this was intended seriously, Jonah Williams is likely better than Bobby Hart. It is actually allowed and within NFL rules to have 2 good tackles on the field at the same time.

And plays LEFT tackle, ironically enough the same position Trent Williams plays. ;)

On 12/30/2019 at 11:05 AM, membengal said:

Yep.  This team and line greatly improved over the second half of the season.  With a full off season, along with the addition of Burrow, they may not be that far off.  Amazes me that people just continue to bypass the fact that the line was in shambles due to unforeseen circumstances almost from day one.  They tried to help this line by drafting a lineman in the first round back to back years.  Unfortunate what happened to Williams and Boling and Glenn for that matter.  Price is a bust, it fucking happens.  Oh yeah, aside from the line,  they may have been without a certain someone named Green as well, not sure if anyone has heard of him.  

Now that Athens Joe is a given with the first pick, my little pea brain is working

overtime on who we are going to get with our second pick.

As far as Jonah Williams... taking a very Sour Apples Harry approach but right now

I am very skeptical.  All this silence is not encouraging.  He could be finished before

he ever starts as easily as a solid starter for a decade.

Right now, wait and see, I guess.

There hasn’t been silence - not sure where you all are getting that? He practiced the last three weeks and Lapham said on the Booth podcast that all is on track. There was no reason to risk an issue late as he continued the rehab - will be 100% go for minicamp.

2 hours ago, membengal said:

There hasn’t been silence - not sure where you all are getting that? He practiced the last three weeks and Lapham said on the Booth podcast that all is on track. There was no reason to risk an issue late as he continued the rehab - will be 100% go for minicamp.

The real issue is the Bengals have the worst social media and media in general in the NFL. They do almost nothing to promote their players or brand compared to other franchises.   Their website is pathetic. 

It is 2020 and the marketing department is probably sending out faxes to the AP.  Williams is a forgotten ghost because the club just doesn’t give a shit about such things.  Why let the fans know anything about the  injured top pick from 2019?  It’s none of their business.   I think he has had 1 interview in 6 months. 

Chad had to market himself. I seriously doubt most NFL fans outside Cincy could pick Green out of a lineup.  Cincy and Detroit: The forgotten franchises. 

Archived