Bengals first overall draft pick scenarios...

If the Bengals don't blow it and start winning (hahaha), who should they pick #1?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. The Bengals select...

• Tua Tagovailoa
    • Chase Young
    • Joe Burrow
    • Trade down for multiple picks

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Lions haven't been especially successful the last couple of decades but Stafford has a much better arm than Dalton. That's why he gets more of a pass. He's had a 5000 yard, 40 TD season (when Calvin Johnson was still playing) while Dalton has never had anything like that despite having AJ Green. 

And that year they were 29th in rushing and their top rusher had 390 yards.  Same year Ced Benson had over 1000.  Stafford led the league in pass attempts but was 4th in passing yards.  Their overall numbers are almost identical other than Andy has a much high win percentage. 

http://pfref.com/tiny/gfQkR

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I know some serious Lions fans, they seem to blame ownership there as much as anything. Their ownership has made changes over the years but they can't seem to find the right people (with some huge goofs like Matt Millen). Seems like their fans appreciate the effort to change but are frustrated that the change never works. 

They do for sure. Close friend of mine grew up in Detroit.  However, the National media are silent.  They spend all day trashing the Cowboys who have 54 more wins this century. I guess bashing a self made billionaire in Jerry is more fun than trashing an old woman born into wealth. 

Here's another tremendous Burrow piece putting his year in context - this one from 538:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/is-joe-burrow-the-most-efficient-college-qb-ever/?ex_cid=story-twitter

Some of the highlights:

It has barely mattered what coverage a defense is in against Burrow. Burrow’s adjusted completion percentage of 82.5, which weights completions by air yards and excludes drops and throwaways, is the highest mark in the nine-season sample from the ESPN Stats & Information Group. (By comparison, starting major conference QBs over that same stretch recorded an average adjusted completion mark of 67.7 percent.) ESPN has tracked coverage splits the past two seasons, and Burrow’s completion marks receive top billing against man (72.0) and zone (77.6).

Few are better than Burrow at buying time or can tout more absurd on-the-run accuracy. “We had a hard time, obviously, corralling him back there,” said Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley, perhaps referring to the Peach Bowl play in which Burrow scrambled out of the pocket, sprinted toward his sideline, avoided a tackle and completed a fadeaway 30-yard pass while getting drilled. “We’re certainly not the only ones that have.” When pressured, Burrow still completes 73.9 percent of his passes, a clip 9.5 percentage points better than any other player in the country and the top mark produced by any QB since at least 2011.4. He also has a 211.2 passer efficiency rating, the highest among qualified passers over that stretch, and has thrown 19 touchdowns, five clear of any other QB in a single season.

It should also be mentioned that Burrow’s team has been so destructive — with the Tigers winning by an average margin of 27.2 points — that it has limited his performance. Burrow has logged only 95 snaps in the fourth quarter or overtime, which ranks outside the top 125 QBs nationally. But even without as many dropbacks as he could have accumulated, Burrow is still outperforming almost every other quarterback since 2004.

28 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

Hopkins, from Athens, said he's never seen an athlete with Burrow's poise under duress. His final season in college has looked awfully similar to his final year at Athens, he said, something the statistics support.

"His focus is unlike any quarterback I've ever seen," Hopkins said. "His ability to stand there on the spot and not panic, I've never seen anyone better. He's unbelievable."  

Arkley agreed, adding Burrow's quiet confidence and unflappable disposition wore off on his teammates. 

"He doesn't seem to have that gene, DNA code, whatever, that dictates to humans that it's time to get nervous or tight when the stakes get bigger," Arkley said. "Even as a sophomore in high school, his poise was off the charts."

This is what I like the best, no crapping of pants

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Hopkins, from Athens, said he's never seen an athlete with Burrow's poise under duress. His final season in college has looked awfully similar to his final year at Athens, he said, something the statistics support.

"His focus is unlike any quarterback I've ever seen," Hopkins said. "His ability to stand there on the spot and not panic, I've never seen anyone better. He's unbelievable."  

Arkley agreed, adding Burrow's quiet confidence and unflappable disposition wore off on his teammates. 

"He doesn't seem to have that gene, DNA code, whatever, that dictates to humans that it's time to get nervous or tight when the stakes get bigger," Arkley said. "Even as a sophomore in high school, his poise was off the charts."

This is what I like the best, no crapping of pants

This is what I thought I could tell about his play, with the limited exposure I’ve had to him. What this means is that there will likely be a speed adjustment to the NFL, pretty much every player experiences it to lesser or greater degrees. I am confident his learning curve won’t be too severe given the sheer quality of opponent he found success against this season.

On 1/6/2020 at 10:36 PM, SF2 said:

He has only one more playoff loss than Matt Stafford who is 0-3.  Funny how you never hear anyone bash the Lions or Stafford who have only 3 playoff appearances (losses) in 20 years.

Not defending Dalton but you never hear the Lions or Stafford bashed relentlessly. Their team has absolutely sucked this century.  Only the Browns have lost more games. The Bengals have 28 more wins than Detroit this century.  Detroit has won only 35% of their games. 

Stafford is also winless in the playoffs, true

His stats in 3 games:   4 TDs, 3 INTs, passer rating 87.8, 302 yards per game

Dullton in 4 games: 1 TD, 6 INTs, passer rating 58, 218 yards per game

No comparison.  None.

Bengal fans, stupidly ignoring Dullton's suckitude year after year...

10 minutes ago, tibor75 said:

Stafford is also winless in the playoffs, true

His stats in 3 games:   4 TDs, 3 INTs, passer rating 87.8, 302 yards per game

Dullton in 4 games: 1 TD, 6 INTs, passer rating 58, 218 yards per game

No comparison.  None.

Bengal fans, stupidly ignoring Dullton's suckitude year after year...

he is most likely done being our QB... just fucking give it a rest.....JFK 

get on to hating Burrow 

22 hours ago, fluhartz said:

he is most likely done being our QB... just fucking give it a rest.....JFK 

Speaking of which, ,rumor across the interwebz says Bill Belichick has a twinkle in his eye for Andy Dalton. Assuming this is true and a trade can be worked out, what do you think we could get? I'd ask for a third and maybe a conditional pick in 21 dependent upon playoff appearances.

19 minutes ago, gupps said:

Speaking of which, ,rumor across the interwebz says Bill Belichick has a twinkle in his eye for Andy Dalton. Assuming this is true and a trade can be worked out, what do you think we could get? I'd ask for a third and maybe a conditional pick in 21 dependent upon playoff appearances.

yes playoff appearances... not wins lol🤣

1 hour ago, gupps said:

Andy and our third for their first.

25 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

anything above a 4th is a blessing

I can't see him giving up more than that for a back up QB.. unless Tom is retiring 

Tom is a free agent and I’ve seen it reported that Bill thinks Dalton could be better than a 40something year old Brady. He did look like he was starting to get old this year. 

19 minutes ago, Jason said:

Tom is a free agent and I’ve seen it reported that Bill thinks Dalton could be better than a 40something year old Brady. He did look like he was starting to get old this year. 

it would be hilarious if Andy went there and won a super bowl.

52 minutes ago, Jason said:

That's where it gets interesting - seems to be that Kraft wants to keep Tom, but Belicheat seems to be the one that wants to move on. Will be a power struggle if that's correct.

Archived