Bengals first overall draft pick scenarios...

If the Bengals don't blow it and start winning (hahaha), who should they pick #1?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. The Bengals select...

• Tua Tagovailoa
    • Chase Young
    • Joe Burrow
    • Trade down for multiple picks

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

It’s not like Burrow was a bad QB last season. He was playing in a prehistoric offense designed around the bad QBs LSU has had recently. 

I would agree with your opinion of Burrow had he been a dominant player from the moment he stepped on the field. He couldn't win the starting the job at OSU, was okay last year. He is certainly having a great year this year, but his body of work overall is not worth the #1 overall pick IMO.

57 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

For those that want Chase Young, ask yourself this.

What impact could he make in this current scheme?

The answer is none.

Unless, they go out a get a proven defensive minded coach who would know how to utilize his skills, picking him would be a waste.

Tua's injuries are a red flag, plus Alabama players seem to have A LOT of wear and tear on their body when the enter the league.

I'd pick Joe Burrow.

You make a valid point regarding the coaching. All we can hope for is that it changes if this team goes 0-16. or even if they win 1 or 2 games.

Sadly, rationally thinking about this poll does no good. You have to think like Mike Brown, as painful as that is. 

A good GM who , if he stepped into this spot, would make good work of the draft and trading Dalton, etc. 

But alas, Mikey and Dufus Tobin will do what the Bengals do - most likely draft a QB then NOT protect him properly. 

29 minutes ago, Hooky said:

I didn't say they should. There are other positions. Like LB. Which I thought was my obvious point.

It was and a rather tongue-in-cheek reply.

I think if Chase Young is there he is the obvious choice unless some team offers to trade the ranch and livestock.

If he isn't there, even if we draft second, I would trade down and load up on linebackers and offensive linemen.

No quarterback above round four, if that.  I would consider Mariotta in free agency for redeeming and a fresh start.

And look at quarterbacks next year.

But I so don't want a quarterback with our high first round pick.

Just now, High School Harry said:

It was and a rather tongue-in-cheek reply.

I think if Chase Young is there he is the obvious choice unless some team offers to trade the ranch and livestock.

If he isn't there, even if we draft second, I would trade down and load up on linebackers and offensive linemen.

No quarterback above round four, if that.  I would consider Mariotta in free agency for redeeming and a fresh start.

And look at quarterbacks next year.

But I so don't want a quarterback with our high first round pick.

I agree. I would pick Chase Young out of the choices offered, but my point was that it won't mean shit unless they get some real LBs to replace the joke we have now. I was also alluding to possibly drafting an LB first if there is Top 5 overall talent. Is there a front runner at LB?

3 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

We will wait until rounds 3 or 4 to pick a LB - this is where our success at this position has been in the past. 

I think that is probably true.  And this year it needs to be, unless they somehow acquire another 1 or 2.  1 needs to be a QB, and 2 a RT.

There still is a decent remnant of talent on the defensive side of the ball. The line is better than average, and the secondary--when healthy--has skills. The yawning chasms are the aforementioned LB's and, most of all, coaching. If this Chase cat is all that, he would indeed help make this side considerably better. 

Having been a live witness to the '90's defense disaster, this back-to-the-future dilemma will need the critical element of coaching to break the cycle (and before you say it, IC, for once no snide MB crap). I don't know if young Taylor will have the wherewithal to find that group of coaches. 

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

There still is a decent remnant of talent on the defensive side of the ball. The line is better than average, and the secondary--when healthy--has skills. The yawning chasms are the aforementioned LB's and, most of all, coaching. If this Chase cat is all that, he would indeed help make this side considerably better. 

Having been a live witness to the '90's defense disaster, this back-to-the-future dilemma will need the critical element of coaching to break the cycle (and before you say it, IC, for once no snide MB crap). I don't know if young Taylor will have the wherewithal to find that group of coaches. 

Totally agree on the coaching, It is one of the 3 main pillars of good franchises. ML was good at attracting solid assistants. I am hard pressed to see a good coach in our whole bunch at the moment.

Chase Young first hands down.

Linebacker top of second round or even trade up a bit.

Simmons from Clemson looks good but a bit undersized for the pros, perhaps.

The guy from Alabama has been injured all year with a torn ACL

Either of these guys because the Bengals like their players undersized and/or injured.

Archived