Bengals first overall draft pick scenarios...

If the Bengals don't blow it and start winning (hahaha), who should they pick #1?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. The Bengals select...

• Tua Tagovailoa
    • Chase Young
    • Joe Burrow
    • Trade down for multiple picks

The Bengals coaching is pretty terrible at every position group. I disagree about our D-line being a strength. We're last in the NFL in sacks. 

I also watched Bengals Weekly with Zac Taylor last night. Somehow they managed not to mention whether we won or lost the game last week or what the score was. That's quality journalism there.

2 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

Trade down and fix multiple positions is the answer, right?

That was my answer, but I recognize it's much cheaper & easier to take a QB.   It gets the casuals on board for at least one season & they don't have to bother with free agency or trying to retool entire position groups.  The path of least resistance is well-trodden for this franchise.

Also, increase the chances of doing something right. The laws of averages are better with more picks.

Aren’t we historically bad at top ten picks anyhow?

I believe we have had 33 picks in the last 3 years or close to it. Quantity of picks does not matter over quality of draft position when your crack scouting staff can't actually scout well. 

2 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I believe we have had 33 picks in the last 3 years or close to it. Quantity of picks does not matter over quality of draft position when your crack scouting staff can't actually scout well. 

If we're going down that road, we're effectively throwing darts at a board.   If that's the case, more darts are better.

Also, increase the chances of doing something right. The laws of averages are better with more picks.

Aren’t we historically bad at top ten picks anyhow?

The Bengals aren't likely to make a trade. MB subconsciously knows he's bad at football decision making so he's always suspicious the other team knows better than him and he'll look bad if he makes a deal rather than sit tight. Thus taking Akili instead of the Saints bloated offer, etc. 

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

If we're going down that road, we're effectively throwing darts at a board.   If that's the case, more darts are better.

with Tua out of the equation, all signs point towards Chase Young, Joe Burrow or trading down a few spots.

If they trade out it can't be so far back that they miss out on the top OT....so no further than 3 or 4.  

and I'm not sold on Joe Burrow as a pro QB. I see a lot of Colt McCoy at Texas everytime I watch him play. 

I was already leaning towards Chase Young. Now I’m all in. Take him. Get a QB too. Either trade and move up into the first or take the best one at the top of the second round. Bengals have to be active in free agency too. Need significant offensive line and linebacker help. 

Myles Jack, Brandon Scherff, Anthony Castonzo, Rodney Hudson, Bryan Bulaga, Shaq Thompson and Deion Jones should all be on the list.

12 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Bengals have to be active in free agency too. Need significant offensive line and linebacker help. 

I strongly suspect we will extend or tag AJ & use that as an excuse to do nothing of consequence in the free agent market.  You know Hob is already warming up the "Our big FA Signing was AJ Green" article.

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

That was sort of my entire point: cast a wider net and with the incompetence you’re bound to stumble into one or two decent players, right?

5 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I strongly suspect we will extend or tag AJ & use that as an excuse to do nothing of consequence in the free agent market.  You know Hob is already warming up the "Our big FA Signing was AJ Green" article.

Oh, I sadly agree. What they should and will do are not one and the same. 

Archived