Bengals first overall draft pick scenarios...

If the Bengals don't blow it and start winning (hahaha), who should they pick #1?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. The Bengals select...

• Tua Tagovailoa
    • Chase Young
    • Joe Burrow
    • Trade down for multiple picks

How about the last two games for Chase Young, both against top 10 teams....7 sacks, 9 TFL, 4 forced fumbles. He's now sitting at 16.5 sacks on the year after missing two games and with at least 3 more to play. Not too shabby.

7 hours ago, spicoli said:

How about the last two games for Chase Young, both against top 10 teams....7 sacks, 9 TFL, 4 forced fumbles. He's now sitting at 16.5 sacks on the year after missing two games and with at least 3 more to play. Not too shabby.

Plus he played 1/2-3/4 of a game in our blowouts. He's better than the Bosa bros and that's saying something.

If he's there for us we take him. What's the other choice, a QB behind this shit line? It won't get fixed in a year.

He's the player with the lowest chance of bust for a high round, and Dunlap is getting up there.

4 minutes ago, Bengal_Buckeye said:

It’s for players who didn’t declare for the regular draft and suddenly became ineligible for the following season. They can still be in school just not eligible to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

As Breer wrote: “NFL rules dictate that players have to prove changing circumstances to gain entry into the supplemental draft and, theoretically, Tagovailoa could claim improved health prompted him to enter the July version of the draft. This option would allow him to stay at Alabama, or go out on his own, to rehab, then work out for teams in June.”

6 hours ago, Bengal_Buckeye said:

. This team needs playmakers and he is that.

I removed the unnecessary snark and just left this ☝🏽 and the +1

That, for me sums up how I feel about Chase Young uber Quarterback.

However... Sour Apples Harry is the patented Annual Late season Bumping of the Bunny.

Often its ruining a chance for the playoffs or one-and-out if we make it.

This season, since its the race for the first pick in the draft, I see us 2 or 3 games and not

getting a shot at even making the choice of getting Chase Young (who will go to the Gnats)

or Burrow who will go to probably someone who trades up to get him.

We take either Herbert or even Tua who is immediately placed on the PUPPY list to

rehab and see his first game in November where he is put out of football permanently

on a whiff by Bobby Hart.

But I do agree with you that Chase Young is a playmaker and a difference maker

and we need that more than the next David Klingler.

On 11/23/2019 at 11:14 PM, Duluoz said:

I'm still befuddled by how this happened....every year the Bengals seem to have at least an average draft, if not a very good draft, depending on who's doing the rating. We should have a roster equal to any other team in the NFL, and yet the product on the field is glaringly inferior.

Duke Tobin was supposed to be the answer to our "no GM" situation, but I'm starting to think this man should be fired. He lead the charge for Zac Taylor, which in and of itself is grounds for dismissal, and then you have the mess on the field masquerading as an NFL team. Not impressed, Mr. Tobin....not at all.

First of all, we are glaringly, blindingly bad at OT, and the guys who could have made a difference have been hurt.  The rest of the OL isn't very good either, which sinks the entire offense.  I think if Williams, Glenn, AJ, and Ross had played all season the offense would be good enough to win games.

On defense, we are glaringly bad at LB.  That and our DBs haven't played to their ability.  Which relates to my next thought.

We have drafted what I thought were several good players.  But they haven't developed.  I think that is the other problem.  Failure to develop talent.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

First of all, we are glaringly, blindingly bad at OT, and the guys who could have made a difference have been hurt.  The rest of the OL isn't very good either, which sinks the entire offense.  I think if Williams, Glenn, AJ, and Ross had played all season the offense would be good enough to win games.

On defense, we are glaringly bad at LB.  That and our DBs haven't played to their ability.  Which relates to my next thought.

We have drafted what I thought were several good players.  But they haven't developed.  I think that is the other problem.  Failure to develop talent.

So other than poor drafting and poor developing of players we are fine?

4 hours ago, High School Harry said:

I

But I do agree with you that Chase Young is a playmaker and a difference maker

and we need that more than the next David Klingler.

I think we need the next Peyton Manning over the next Big Daddy Wilkinson. 

6 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

So other than poor drafting and poor developing of players we are fine?

The drafting hasn't been bad.  They have missed a couple of guys, especially at LB, but they haven't taken a LB in the first 2 rounds in years.  The biggest issue is player development.  Billy Price and Mike Jordan were both very good players at tOSU.  The biggest mistake was giving Hart $7M.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

The drafting hasn't been bad.  They have missed a couple of guys, especially at LB, but they haven't taken a LB in the first 2 rounds in years.  The biggest issue is player development.  Billy Price and Mike Jordan were both very good players at tOSU.  The biggest mistake was giving Hart $7M.

You vastly underestimate the issues here. I would call the drafting overall 'weak' and the player development 'weak' (both have had spurts of 'good' but not enough to sustain), the free agents 'weak', and the cap management 'weak'. Combine it all and you get a shit show

Thinking about this a bit more.

We have a bad O-line, the problem is we just drafted out Left Tackle for the future (hopefully) so you don't take a Right Tackle with the #1 spot, which means we have to address Oline later either in FA or in round 2 or 3.

The question then is can we do other things that might hide some of the weakness of the Oline?

I think I take Chase Young #1 and see if moving Hubbard to be a Linebacker makes sense.

Then I take Jalen Hurts #2. Hurts will need time to develop as a passer, but his ability to be mobile will help with the bad Oline issues right away. If we can fix the Oline in his 2nd year it will help him to develop as a passer.

Then you take the best guard in round 3, and try to get a guard in FA too. That would mean replacing Bobby Hart the following year would be the only move left to make on the Oline.

So now we're moving one of our better young defensive players having a breakout year out of his natural position to accommodate Chase "Magic Beans" Young?  I guess trading away the cow isn't Bengals enough so we're going to put feathers on it and pretend its a chicken.  If we get Young we might even go 2-14 next year.  Obviously we can't jeopardize that by winning a game!  

44 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Sam was listed as an LB during his redshirt year, but ended up gaining weight and playing strictly hand-down DE. Correct: monkeying around with him out of his natural position, is counter-productive.   

Meh, it's the same draft hype every year, I should be used to it by now.

"If we draft ____________________ they will immediately dominate the entire league forever, they will have to bulldoze the Hall of Fame and start over with this guy, he will bring back 10-cent wing nights and my hair!"

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

"If we draft ____________________ they will immediately dominate the entire league forever, they will have to bulldoze the Hall of Fame and start over with this guy, he will bring back 10-cent wing nights and my hair!"

Years later... Only 6 trips to the playoffs??? And you didn't win even one? Dude sucks. We should replace him with the Undrafted kid from Fucque U because he's more mobile and can overcome all of the things wrong with this team!!!! Super Bowl!!

I think Sam Hubbard has zero issues as a LB if he's asked to play there. With the way he can run and with his all out hustle, that cat was born to be a NFL LB, IMO. Kid has had fantastic coaching since the day he stepped on a HS football field, he'll be fine. 

Archived