Bengals first overall draft pick scenarios...

If the Bengals don't blow it and start winning (hahaha), who should they pick #1?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. The Bengals select...

• Tua Tagovailoa
    • Chase Young
    • Joe Burrow
    • Trade down for multiple picks

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Back to the first pick in the draft.  Or maybe even second.

If Joe Burrow is there and Miami offers all three of their first round picks, do we take it?

One will be in the 3-4 range.

So go with Joe or take the picks?

We lose Joe or Chase but get three firsts and out high second give us four picks in the top 33.

I would say we would have to do it just for overall strengthening of the team at our numerous weak points

but I have paid so much attention to the quarterbacks and Chase Young that I'm not even sure who or what 

else is out there.

Take Tua with a gamble and year of rehab and grooming behind Andy and three more top picks?

Yeah, I would lean that way.

I don't think its impossible for Miami to give up their first round picks for Joe.

What you say about taking a bunch of picks makes a lots of sense to me, but I afraid Mike Brown let us know his philosophy during the 1997 draft.

1 hour ago, westside bengal said:

What you say about taking a bunch of picks makes a lots of sense to me, but I afraid Mike Brown let us know his philosophy during the 1997 draft.

Miami would never give us all three but I could see them parting with 2.   It is hilarious that Ryan Tannehill is doing so well in Tenn.  I watched him play a few games over the years and he had flashes of brilliance in most of his games.  He is literally a Dalton clone who played pretty good but just couldn't get over the hump however Miami had horrible defenses while he was there.   Goes to a team with a great running game and decent defense and he becomes the best passer in the league the league the last 5 games.   Dalton would probably do something similar if he went to Chicago.

4 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Back to the first pick in the draft.  Or maybe even second.

If Joe Burrow is there and Miami offers all three of their first round picks, do we take it?

One will be in the 3-4 range.

So go with Joe or take the picks?

We lose Joe or Chase but get three firsts and out high second give us four picks in the top 33.

I would say we would have to do it just for overall strengthening of the team at our numerous weak points

but I have paid so much attention to the quarterbacks and Chase Young that I'm not even sure who or what 

else is out there.

Take Tua with a gamble and year of rehab and grooming behind Andy and three more top picks?

Yeah, I would lean that way.

I don't think its impossible for Miami to give up their first round picks for Joe.

Um. Yes.

If this offer ever happens, which I am highly skeptical of, you take it in a heartbeat. No single player is a guarantee to be special or even good. If you spread things out, with that many high value picks, even our inept scouting/personnel would be inclined to hit on a couple of those extra picks. We have significant holes to fill and upgrades to make.

Your scenario is the only thing that excites me more than Burrow in a Bengals jersey next year.

2 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

Um. Yes.

If this offer ever happens, which I am highly skeptical of, you take it in a heartbeat. No single player is a guarantee to be special or even good. If you spread things out, with that many high value picks, even our inept scouting/personnel would be inclined to hit on a couple of those extra picks. We have significant holes to fill and upgrades to make.

Your scenario is the only thing that excites me more than Burrow in a Bengals jersey next year.

yeah, don't see them giving up 3.   Still talking about a team with the 30th ranked defense.  Giving up 3 first rounders would be stupid when there are more huge holes to fill than just QB. 

Just now, SF2 said:

yeah, don't see them giving up 3.   Still talking about a team with the 30th ranked defense.  Giving up 3 first rounders would be stupid when there are more huge holes to fill than just QB. 

Completely agree...they are, maybe, marginally better than us, if record is a true indicator, they need roughly as much personnel help as we do.

A lot of this depends on how teams grade not just Burrows but the other top QB's including Tua. Miami may say lets use a first on Tua as a 'gamble' but also get two other good players and if Tua does not work out we draft a QB next year.

Which teams will grade Burrows as elite or just very good or maybe below that.  Tua is still the wild card of the draft at this time.

At worst we pick 8th. 

With a likely loss to the Pats we pick top 4 even if we win the other 2 games. 

The current top 4 teams and their schedules. 

Bengals Giants DC Dolphins
Patriots Dolphins Eagles Giants
Dolphins DC Giants Bengals
Browns Eagles Cowboys Patriots

There is almost no way we don't pick within the top 3 picks because everyone plays eachother. Burrow-Young-Tua. I would be happy with any of those three. Although Burrow is the best. 

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

A lot of this depends on how teams grade not just Burrows but the other top QB's including Tua. Miami may say lets use a first on Tua as a 'gamble' but also get two other good players and if Tua does not work out we draft a QB next year.

Which teams will grade Burrows as elite or just very good or maybe below that.  Tua is still the wild card of the draft at this time.

Burrow. No “s”   :smile:

To the point of your post, I do think there will be teams that like Tua more. He is a very good deep ball passer. 

18 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

At worst we pick 8th. 

With a likely loss to the Pats we pick top 4 even if we win the other 2 games. 

The current top 4 teams and their schedules. 

Bengals Giants DC Dolphins
Patriots Dolphins Eagles Giants
Dolphins DC Giants Bengals
Browns Eagles Cowboys Patriots

There is almost no way we don't pick within the top 3 picks because everyone plays eachother. Burrow-Young-Tua. I would be happy with any of those three. Although Burrow is the best. 

I think the biggest thing about picking #1, is picking #1 in every round.  After day 1 teams will reset their boards and there will be good trade offers.  Now whether we accept an offer is another story, but it will give us options to either get the best available players or make a deal to move back for additional picks and/or players.

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

No doubt. Before the injury Tua was seen as the possible #1 pick. 

There is no way I am picking Tua with a high first round pick.  Both ankles are wired together and he just had major hip surgery.  I don't care what "his" docs say, no way he will be the same.

3 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

I think the biggest thing about picking #1, is picking #1 in every round.  After day 1 teams will reset their boards and there will be good trade offers.  Now whether we accept an offer is another story, but it will give us options to either get the best available players or make a deal to move back for additional picks and/or players.

Depending how the draft unfolds, if the Bengals are picking in the top 2 or 3 I would consider moving up out of the 2nd round in to the bottom of the 1st if I felt really good about someone.  The advantage is having that 5th year option available if he is truly a keeper.

13 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Of course we hope we have out LT, but we won't be spending another pick on a LT without finding out, and you don't take a backup LT with the first round pick. No of course I'm not happy with Hart, but again you don't take a RT that high...now if we drop to 5 or below there is a precedent with the organization taking a RT that high (Andre Smith), but the way it's going right now I'm not expecting us to be below #3 overall. Is there a LB worthy of the top pick? I don't see it.  I mean we may take a WR I guess, but I kinda doubt it, I think it's more likely AJ gets tagged.

Of course we need a number of positions but as you said unless we trade down....

That's been my point:  right now we need 10+ good to average players more than we need one superstar.  It's not about linebacker or AN OT/OG, it's that we need several of both.  That & an unwillingness to accept the necessity of overpaying decent free agents to get them to sign here leaves us with only the draft.   We've not been very good at drafting high picks so the best bet is trading down & hoping to luck into some capable starters.  I don't care how many awards those guys won in college if they show up on game day for the Bengals.

A month ago, wasn't that sold on Burrow.  I've bought in on him since though and would definitely tab him with the first pick.  You'd have to commit to going all-in on fixing the OL (hopefully with a coaching upgrade - Callahan the Elder?  Yes please!) though.  I'm penciling Williams in at LT and i'm drafting a RT in the 2nd or 3rd round (with a LB being the other pick), a swing tackle project in the later rounds and an interior line FA. 

I kinda like the idea I saw elsewhere here of possibly trying Whit to solidify LG for a season or two if the Rams cut him free.or make a run at someone like Brandon Scherff.  Let Hopkins, Price and Jordan battle inside for C, RG and interior depth.  Glenn, Jerry, Hart, Miller, Johnson, Redmond, Dugas, Wyatt & any CFA's battle for the last 3 or 4 spots. 

I'd try to find a 3rd or 4th round for Dalton (but I'm dubious).  I'd franchise Green, but I'd shop him for a 1st+ (maybe with a young player I like). I'd FedEx Dre to the first team that mentioned him.   If you get a first rounder for Geno or Dunlap I'd think hard about it, but I'm in no hurry to move either.  I think if they can fix the OL & LB corps this team could be interesting.

BTW.  Can't remember who we lost.  Anyone got an idea of what comp picks we might be looking at?

1 hour ago, Bengal_Buckeye said:

You can’t build a good or great team in one draft. This team needs young superstars. They have never had a pass rusher like Chase Young. I’m also worried about drafting another qb with one good year under his belt.

I've changed my tune.

Right now Chase Young is a luxury.

Joe Burrow is a necessity.

12 hours ago, T-Dub said:

That's been my point:  right now we need 10+ good to average players more than we need one superstar.  It's not about linebacker or AN OT/OG, it's that we need several of both.  That & an unwillingness to accept the necessity of overpaying decent free agents to get them to sign here leaves us with only the draft.   We've not been very good at drafting high picks so the best bet is trading down & hoping to luck into some capable starters.  I don't care how many awards those guys won in college if they show up on game day for the Bengals.

That's kind of the question right?

Do you believe that trading down and picking up a number of guys, vs taking the blue-chipper at the top, puts the Bengals back in the playoffs next year?

And if not is it something you can fix staying put this year and staying put next year too?

I'm not sure I believe all this mess is fixed in 2 years of Taylor drafts. I think things get better next year, but he's gonna need at least 3 years of drafts to fix this mess.

15 hours ago, T-Dub said:

This is all true. But we do still need a QB. A great QB can overcome a lot of deficiencies. 

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

This is all true. But we do still need a QB. A great QB can overcome a lot of deficiencies. 

Not a deficient OL. We need a far better OL. Period. And not a deficient system. The history of the NFL is filled with good QB prospects that wilting away from bad OL play and coaching. 

We need an overhaul in all areas of this franchise, anything less than that is band aids and duck tape. Young or Burrows are great prospects but they alone wont make a huge difference. 

Not a deficient OL. We need a far better OL. Period. And not a deficient system. The history of the NFL is filled with good QB prospects that wilting away from bad OL play and coaching. 

We need an overhaul in all areas of this franchise, anything less than that is band aids and duck tape. Young or Burrows are great prospects but they alone wont make a huge difference. 

True. But having Jonah Williams and replacing Hart with a second round pick at RT will go a long way toward fixing the line. We don’t need 3 first round picks to do that. 

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

True. But having Jonah Williams and replacing Hart with a second round pick at RT will go a long way toward fixing the line. We don’t need 3 first round picks to do that. 

Drafting a RT in round 2 is NO guarantee of any kind of success. In fact our recent past drafts suggest there is a better chance of failure over success.  Even Williams is an unknown at this point. 

Drafting a RT in round 2 is NO guarantee of any kind of success. In fact our recent past drafts suggest there is a better chance of failure over success.  Even Williams is an unknown at this point. 

But you can say that about anyone they draft. 

Archived