What Will It Take?

I'm hoping to see some serious conversation here and not the typical MB sucks that seems to creep in to every thread, or some of the outright stupidity in some of the FB groups.  Here's what I would do:

1.) Fire the entire coaching staff and Duke Tobin. I think these guys suck. Hire a coach with some experience as either a former HC, or a top-notch coordinator who would enjoy the challenge of a rebuild.

2.) Be aggressive in FA to fill holes in the OL and at LB. Sign quality FA's, No more Webb and Jerry types

3.) Tag AJ

4.) Attempt to resign Mixon.

5.) Take Chase Young with the #1 pick.  I may try to trade back up in to the 1st to get a quarterback.  Best OL or LB in the 2nd, another edge rusher in the 3rd, Maybe a quality quarterback slips, but I doubt it.

I guess we'll see if Finley progresses or regresses. If it's the latter, I believe Dalton is still under contract for next year? 

To me, Zak is not ready for this kind of job. There appears to be no strategy and I would never accept 0-16. That's an elite club to join right there. 

1 hour ago, OneHeartBeat said:

I'm hoping to see some serious conversation here and not the typical MB sucks that seems to creep in to every thread, or some of the outright stupidity in some of the FB groups.  Here's what I would do:

1.) Fire the entire coaching staff and Duke Tobin. I think these guys suck. Hire a coach with some experience as either a former HC, or a top-notch coordinator who would enjoy the challenge of a rebuild.

2.) Be aggressive in FA to fill holes in the OL and at LB. Sign quality FA's, No more Webb and Jerry types

3.) Tag AJ

5.) Take Chase Young with the #1 pick.  I may try to trade back up in to the 1st to get a quarterback.  Best OL or LB in the 2nd, another edge rusher in the 3rd, Maybe a quality quarterback slips, but I doubt it.

I guess we'll see if Finley progresses or regresses. If it's the latter, I believe Dalton is still under contract for next year? 

To me, Zak is not ready for this kind of job. There appears to be no strategy and I would never accept 0-16. That's an elite club to join right there. 

You make several valid suggestions but most will never happen because Mike Brown sucks.

59 minutes ago, OneHeartBeat said:

3.) Tag AJ

1. Agree. I would like Jack Del Rio, paired with someone who has some kind of offensive strategy

2. Probably won't happen. Gotta build this through the draft

3. Let AJ walk

4. Mixon will resign only if there is a change in philosophy in the run game. Where is Jeremi Johnson these days?

5. I'd rather them take Joe Burrow 

For any meaningful change to occur, Mike Brown would have to (1) essentially admit his way of doing things leads to failure (2) clean out the personnel staff (3) hire a legit GM (4) give the GM the money to hire the right amount and quality of scouts and coaches (5) allow the GM latitude to better utilize the cap dollars

After that, and only that, can you then come out and say we are in a complete re-build. The GM will then hire the right the staff and draft the right players and re-sign the right players. 

Top down or no plan will succeed.

The above is essentially the new SF model and I would (if it was me running it) state that we will look to duplicate that. The fans then could at least have hope instead of dope. 

This club needs competent management. That means hiring some from outside as the incumbents aren't competent. But they aren't likely to admit that either, even if we go 0-16. What we need is for Kate and Troy to hire a good football person with authority to make all football related decisions and a commitment to both spend to the cap for players and to spend above average amounts for coaches, scouts, and amenities. This team has a bad reputation. Winning big could fix that but we won't win big unless we fix other things first. That will require ownership to be willing to write some checks. My guess is Mike Brown vetos things like an indoor practice facility, paying more than league average on coaches, and having all the bells and whistles other teams have.

Archived