Good, Bad, and Ugly --- Bengal's vs Raider's

Good:. The season is almost over and 1st round pick is looking like a lock for the 1st pick of the draft.

Bad:  The season is over and has been over for quite a while.

Ugly:  Extremely pessimistic that the Bengal's will either pick up a 1st round loser or a often injured player...

Knock, knock!
Who's there?
Owen.
Owen who?
Owen Ten...  :rsju31uh9:

Good: Defense played pretty good on the road. 

Bad: offense is a putruid bucket of 3 day old raw hamburger, goat semen and maggots on a warm day. 

Ugly: Having lost all hope this team will ever be worth a shit.  

49 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Thought your hope ended last week? 

I didn’t watch much. Raked the leaves and then cleaned up after a party we had at the house last night.  Caught bits and pieces and most of the 4th quarter. 

An inefficient and exceptionally BORING effort.  The team is just boring.  115 yards on 31 attempts, 73 net yards passing to their 273?   5 sacks?  Was Boyd hurt??  Kinda brutal, as bad as this Bears v Rams game. 

This team is bad. Really bad. In a perverse way, I'd like to see them play Washington to see who truly is the worst team in the league. They are both horrible, horrible teams. There is very little good to make of this mockery. Nobody is stepping up and nobody even seems to care. Joe Mixon is one of the few players that seems to have any desire to be out there. Every single facet of this team is in disarray.

I was not a big "fire Zac Taylor guy" as the team has such a lack of talent in so many areas which has been compounded by injuries. But, they aren't even competitive. 

Honestly, I thought yesterday was one of the Bengals better efforts.  Yes, the offense is boring as hell.  They have limited talent on the line, at QB, and at WR.  What I saw was the Bengals being smart and trying to use their best players, Mixon and Bernard.  It's their only hope.  They kept the game close and if Bernard could have actually caught the ball, who knows...maybe they could have tied it. 

Yes, the team is awful, but for the first time I saw the coaches making changes to try to do things that the roster has the ability to do.

The team is horribly boring.   73 net passing yards and 10 points.    After the first quarter touchdown the team managed 158 yards of offense and 3 points.  Thankfully I only saw the last quarter which was like watching a marginal high school team with a weak armed QB try and pass, down by 10.   Defense was ok.  

9 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Honestly, I thought yesterday was one of the Bengals better efforts.  Yes, the offense is boring as hell.  They have limited talent on the line, at QB, and at WR.  What I saw was the Bengals being smart and trying to use their best players, Mixon and Bernard.  It's their only hope.  They kept the game close and if Bernard could have actually caught the ball, who knows...maybe they could have tied it. 

Yes, the team is awful, but for the first time I saw the coaches making changes to try to do things that the roster has the ability to do.

And the reality is Tyler Boyd is a decent #2 receiver who can easily be neutralized by an average cover corner.  Jar Jar Smith in Pittsburgh is having the same issue.   No true #1 receiver lets the defensive team use their best corner to completely shut down the #2 guy.    Boyd caught 1 pass yesterday for 0 yards.  Green rarely gets completely taken out of games. 

Not having Green or even Ross out there significantly hurts the other players ability to get open.  Tate was  doing ok as the #2 but he is really the only guy able to get open besides Eifert on occasion.   

Here's what I observed:

- Finley is starting to show that maybe he isn't the answer, but it is still terribly unfair to judge him with this line and what's left of our receiver corps.  The way Max Crosby trashed both of our tackles made it very hard to do anything, and you could tell Finley was doing everything he could to stay in the pocket despite there often being space to run.  I think he should run all day if that's what's available.  Positives from him were his ability to run when he actually tried, and he was seemingly audible-ing into the right fits.

- Another note about Finley, he still puts up throws that are "catchable", i.e. he tries to throw receivers open which was his M.O. coming out.  The one he put up for grabs for Willis is 100% caught by AJ or Tate, guaranteed.  That was the kind of ball a "high point guy" wants, every time.  Also the ball to Erickson that was intercepted - that was all on Alex, he has to come back for it and fight, and I'm sure it's what Finley was expecting.  The rear camera showed it so perfectly - he put it on the inside shoulder so Alex could shield the defender, Alex just didn't do it.  Also the fastball to Eifert on the back shoulder up the middle, that's a perfect ball for a tight end and the kind that Eifert used to catch in his prime, but he missed it.  Even the catch that Tate got injured on, that was a perfect throw at the perfect spot for a first down (20 yard throw remember), and in a spot that Tate *usually* would be able to protect himself, nice and low.

- The D actually came out with a purpose in this game, especially up front.  The run stopping was the best I've seen all year - alas, the pass coverage was mostly horrendous yet again (and the Bengals' frustrating tendency to not challenge receivers who go up for the ball continues).

- Nick Vigil still sucks, especially in pass coverage.

- I think we're starting to see why it took so long for the team to rely on Pratt... he's not reliable.  Makes mental mistakes often.

- The killer play that should have been made was Gio's drop.  Can't happen if you hope to win a game (just one).

- BW Webb shouldn't be anywhere near an NFL field.

- Seen on replay - Billy Price battling a guy, the guy puts his hands on Billy's helmet and pushes down, Billy's arms start windmilling comically like some kind of comedy bit, Billy goes down in a heap and rolls over forlornly to watch his opponent chase the play.

18 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

Another note about Finley, he still puts up throws that are "catchable", i.e. he tries to throw receivers open which was his M.O. coming out.

Da Hell? He was throwing behind guys all day long. His accuracy was atrocious. You're talking about RYAN Finley, right?

Just now, LostInDaJungle said:

Da Hell? He was throwing behind guys all day long. His accuracy was atrocious. You're talking about RYAN Finley, right?

I guess you weren't watching the actual game.  I saw a number of people ranting when he threw behind Uzomah, but I'm not convinced that wasn't a case of Uzomah moving when the play called for him to be in one spot (because you know, it was a screen and not a roll out).

He had a couple bad throws after he got hurt and when the pocket was up his ass, yes.  His arm strength is his biggest issue, he can't do the long sideline throws adequately and I believe that's what will keep him from becoming a legit starter.

Just now, HavePityPlease said:

I guess you weren't watching the actual game.  I saw a number of people ranting when he threw behind Uzomah, but I'm not convinced that wasn't a case of Uzomah moving when the play called for him to be in one spot (because you know, it was a screen and not a roll out).

He had a couple bad throws after he got hurt and when the pocket was up his ass, yes.  His arm strength is his biggest issue, he can't do the long sideline throws adequately and I believe that's what will keep him from becoming a legit starter.

Ok, but there's another thread on this board talking about how the guy can't throw 5 yard screens... 

13 of 31 for 3.7 yards per play. 42% completion.

Yeah, I was watching the actual game. Obviously didn't have my rose colored glasses on.

611bdf3cab5e851a5ed19c3a74af03ec.jpg

Just now, LostInDaJungle said:

Ok, but there's another thread on this board talking about how the guy can't throw 5 yard screens... 

13 of 31 for 3.7 yards per play. 42% completion.

Yeah, I was watching the actual game. Obviously didn't have my rose colored glasses on.

And yet you still haven't given any kind of counter argument to the multiple examples I gave of quality throws, I even had to give an example of a missed five-yarder for you.  Did you see the all drops?  Did you see him throwing with people in his back pocket?  Did you see guys like Erickson not fighting for any ball?  Doesn't sound like it, sounds like you're sticking with histrionics and straw men as usual.  "Look at this stat line - case closed!"  The argument of a LCD pool-swimmer if I've ever seen one.

The funniest thing is my first statement is that Finley isn't the answer, but for some reason you're accusing me of looking at him through rose-coloured glasses.  I'll just keep stating facts and let you dance a jig with your straw men, have at it.

1 minute ago, HavePityPlease said:

And yet you still haven't given any kind of counter argument to the multiple examples I gave of quality throws, I even had to give an example of a missed five-yarder for you.  Did you see the all drops?  Did you see him throwing with people in his back pocket?  Did you see guys like Erickson not fighting for any ball?  Doesn't sound like it, sounds like you're sticking with histrionics and straw men as usual.  "Look at this stat line - case closed!"  The argument of a LCD pool-swimmer if I've ever seen one.

The funniest thing is my first statement is that Finley isn't the answer, but for some reason you're accusing me of looking at him through rose-coloured glasses.  I'll just keep stating facts and let you dance a jig with your straw men, have at it.

Dude. Switch to decaf.

12 hours ago, SF2 said:

I didn’t watch much. Raked the leaves and then cleaned up after a party we had at the house last night.  Caught bits and pieces and most of the 4th quarter. 

An inefficient and exceptionally BORING effort.  The team is just boring.  115 yards on 31 attempts, 73 net yards passing to their 273?   5 sacks?  Was Boyd hurt??  Kinda brutal, as bad as this Bears v Rams game. 

Yeah, the leaf thing..copy that. I had actually decided to sit down and watch the game--being it was later in the day, sun was going down. Plopped down, and was greeted with a completely unexpected surprise: the CBS affiliate here in Columbus had decided to air the Eagles-Pats game instead. No Browns--not even Stealers--playing, nothing to preclude them showing the Bengals for a regional broadcast. They likely figured that the greater audience here (and rightfully so), would prefer the Iggs-Pats. Can't make this stuff up, and indicative of how low the Bengal appeal has dropped in this, a normally good market for them. 

Went back outside and finished some other chores before darkness.     

3 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

Here's what I observed:

- Another note about Finley, he still puts up throws that are "catchable", i.e. he tries to throw receivers open which was his M.O. coming out.  The one he put up for grabs for Willis is 100% caught by AJ or Tate, guaranteed.  That was the kind of ball a "high point guy" wants, every time.  Also the ball to Erickson that was intercepted - that was all on Alex, he has to come back for it and fight, and I'm sure it's what Finley was expecting.  The rear camera showed it so perfectly - he put it on the inside shoulder so Alex could shield the defender, Alex just didn't do it. 

That pass to Erickson was the same EXACT play that went back for a pick 6 last week and should have gone back for a pick 6 earlier in this game. He needs to stop that. 

He actually needs to improve on a lot of things. 

Archived