Good, Bad, and Ugly --- Bengal's vs Raider's

3 hours ago, Shebengal said:

That pass to Erickson was the same EXACT play that went back for a pick 6 last week and should have gone back for a pick 6 earlier in this game. He needs to stop that. 

He actually needs to improve on a lot of things. 

I agree he shouldn't be trying these, but last week was an audible to an out route and the CB simply read/jumped it.  Yesterday was different, it was a broken play and he tried to direct Erickson to go a bit deeper and he didn't, so Finley (inadvisably) tried to throw something Alex would have to "interpret".  Should he have thrown it at all?  No.  Did he throw a pass that his receiver could catch?  Definitely.  Unfortunately Erickson just isn't that guy, he doesn't play the box out game (yes, another reason Finley shouldn't have tried).  The point is it's a pass that would be completed with the right receiver (Tate, for one) but Finley needs to read every aspect of the situation.

I think the other one you're talking about was an example of the other point I was making - Finley simply doesn't have the arm to throw the tight sideline throw past the sticks, and he never will.  CBs who are covering well will always have a chance on the ball if Finley tries those, and at least one, maybe two, should have been pick-6's yesterday.

As for improvements, we all expect a 4th round rookie to need to improve a ton of things, he's no different.  Unfortunately some weaknesses he has are permanent, and if he doesn't play for a coach that tailors the scheme to his strengths he won't succeed.  Playing for the Bengals and our OL and WR situation?  No chance.

39 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

I agree he shouldn't be trying these, but last week was an audible to an out route and the CB simply read/jumped it.  Yesterday was different, it was a broken play and he tried to direct Erickson to go a bit deeper and he didn't, so Finley (inadvisably) tried to throw something Alex would have to "interpret".  Should he have thrown it at all?  No.  Did he throw a pass that his receiver could catch?  Definitely.  Unfortunately Erickson just isn't that guy, he doesn't play the box out game (yes, another reason Finley shouldn't have tried).  The point is it's a pass that would be completed with the right receiver (Tate, for one) but Finley needs to read every aspect of the situation.

I think the other one you're talking about was an example of the other point I was making - Finley simply doesn't have the arm to throw the tight sideline throw past the sticks, and he never will.  CBs who are covering well will always have a chance on the ball if Finley tries those, and at least one, maybe two, should have been pick-6's yesterday.

As for improvements, we all expect a 4th round rookie to need to improve a ton of things, he's no different.  Unfortunately some weaknesses he has are permanent, and if he doesn't play for a coach that tailors the scheme to his strengths he won't succeed.  Playing for the Bengals and our OL and WR situation?  No chance.

Other than our #1, #3, #4 receivers being out along with the assumed starters at LT, LG, C, RG missing, the team's situation is fine. 

8 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Yeah, the leaf thing..copy that. I had actually decided to sit down and watch the game--being it was later in the day, sun was going down. Plopped down, and was greeted with a completely unexpected surprise: the CBS affiliate here in Columbus had decided to air the Eagles-Pats game instead. No Browns--not even Stealers--playing, nothing to preclude them showing the Bengals for a regional broadcast. They likely figured that the greater audience here (and rightfully so), would prefer the Iggs-Pats. Can't make this stuff up, and indicative of how low the Bengal appeal has dropped in this, a normally good market for them. 

Went back outside and finished some other chores before darkness.     

Or you could have streamed it...but glad you got stuff done, I've done the same thing. 😕

14 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

I guess you weren't watching the actual game.  I saw a number of people ranting when he threw behind Uzomah, but I'm not convinced that wasn't a case of Uzomah moving when the play called for him to be in one spot (because you know, it was a screen and not a roll out).

He had a couple bad throws after he got hurt and when the pocket was up his ass, yes.  His arm strength is his biggest issue, he can't do the long sideline throws adequately and I believe that's what will keep him from becoming a legit starter.

Gio dropped one that hit him right in the bread basket which would've been a 3rd down conversion.

ZT calling timeout on that 3rd down conversion to Tate which screwed that up.

Ericson just got punked the F out on that last play.

ZT reminds me of that offensive coordinator that everyone here hated with a passion. I can't remember exactly how to spell his name but it was something like Bratkowski.   Him and ZT's offensive play calling seems about the same. You got a stud RB breaking his neck getting you 6 a pop, a o-line that was actually somewhat blocking for him for the first time all season. Annnnd on 3rd and 5 feet in enemy territory he calls some random ass pass that had no chance instead of feeding that stud and building a tiny micro bit of confidence in that line.

8 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

Gio dropped one that hit him right in the bread basket which would've been a 3rd down conversion.

ZT calling timeout on that 3rd down conversion to Tate which screwed that up.

Ericson just got punked the F out on that last play.

ZT reminds me of that offensive coordinator that everyone here hated with a passion. I can't remember exactly how to spell his name but it was something like Bratkowski.   Him and ZT's offensive play calling seems about the same. You got a stud RB breaking his neck getting you 6 a pop, a o-line that was actually somewhat blocking for him for the first time all season. Annnnd on 3rd and 5 feet in enemy territory he calls some random ass pass that had no chance instead of feeding that stud and building a tiny micro bit of confidence in that line.

We've done shit like this with every OC since, though, even with OK offensive lines.  This team has been allergic to running the ball since Rudi left & I still think he would've won us the '05 WC game if Brat wasn't trying to fool Pittsburgh with his Kitna Gambit.  We're constantly bringing a chessboard to a boxing match.

Mike Brown went to an Ivy League college, haven't you heard? No, not that one. Not that one either. No, the other one.

Archived