Hopes for the rest of the season

With Tua being injured I think the first overall pick becomes that much more valuable. Miami has 3  first rounder, maybe they would  give up theirs and the Texans to move to number one. Take a primo OL with the first #1 and get your QB (Herbert?) with the second one. LB in the second round and BPA  after that.

16 minutes ago, gupps said:

With Tua being injured I think the first overall pick becomes that much more valuable. Miami has 3  first rounder, maybe they would  give up theirs and the Texans to move to number one. Take a primo OL with the first #1 and get your QB (Herbert?) with the second one. LB in the second round and BPA  after that.

That would be ideal, for sure. Without their willingness to sign vet FA's, that's about the only real way they have to plug multiple holes...especially on the OL.

That said though, tough to pass up on a true difference-maker like Young.

That's a tough call, IMO. 

33 minutes ago, Jason said:

If there is a guy you think is a difference making QB you HAVE to take him.

I definitely don't see one of those in this draft. I could have gotten behind Tua but that ship has sailed. 

Chase Young is by far the best player in the draft this year. The next guy on the list, even if it's a QB, is down a completely different level. Trade down and get Hebert or Fromm or whoever AND get a OT, and I'm completely fine passing on Young. Outside of that, I don't see how you can let him go. It's like having a shot at drafting 21 year old Bruce Smith.

11 hours ago, spicoli said:

I definitely don't see one of those in this draft. I could have gotten behind Tua but that ship has sailed. 

Chase Young is by far the best player in the draft this year. The next guy on the list, even if it's a QB, is down a completely different level. Trade down and get Hebert or Fromm or whoever AND get a OT, and I'm completely fine passing on Young. Outside of that, I don't see how you can let him go. It's like having a shot at drafting 21 year old Bruce Smith.

Who didn't achieve success until he was paired with Jim Kelly. The Bengals' odds of finding a Jim Kelly type later in a draft are...low. Given how much this board LOVED Andy Dalton over the years, I remain puzzled that people are so willing to spin the wheel on another Dalton type like Fromm as opposed to trying for a franchise changer at QB like Burrow. 

11 minutes ago, membengal said:

Who didn't achieve success until he was paired with Jim Kelly. The Bengals' odds of finding a Jim Kelly type later in a draft are...low. Given how much this board LOVED Andy Dalton over the years, I remain puzzled that people are so willing to spin the wheel on another Dalton type like Fromm as opposed to trying for a franchise changer at QB like Burrow. 

I just don’t see Burrow as a “franchise changer” in the NFL. I see him as a game manager...just like Dalton. 

45 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I just don’t see Burrow as a “franchise changer” in the NFL. I see him as a game manager...just like Dalton. 

Fully disagree. More athletic. Better arm than Dalton had when he arrived. Completing almost 80% of his passes in the SEC including against the best of the teams he's faced. And...unlike Dalton, he seems to have "it" - that bit of redass you want from that position. 

I think the only game changer or the closest thing to it in this year's draft is Chase Young.

If they pass over him for a quarterback they can't protect... well, they probably will.

Which is why they will always be the Bengals.  Mike Brown never saw a flashy college quarterback

he didn't love.

Chase Young 2020 draft

"Bridge" quarterback free agent off season 2020 (Mariota?)

Franchise quarterback 2021 draft.

As an LSU fan please don’t draft Joe Burrow unless the Bengals get a new O line coach and Jonah Williams proves to me he isn’t a bust by playing a few games this year.  Also want to see a quality RT and interior lineman picked up in FA before the draft.  If these things don’t occur take Young, he just needs to line up on the end and chase QBs. 

36 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

I think the only game changer or the closest thing to it in this year's draft is Chase Young.

If they pass over him for a quarterback they can't protect... well, they probably will.

Which is why they will always be the Bengals.  Mike Brown never saw a flashy college quarterback

he didn't love.

Chase Young 2020 draft

1. They have Jonah Williams back for 2021, and can spend a second round pick on a RT - that plus Hopkins and you are 3/5 of the way home to protecting Burrow - and Burrow can fucking MOVE - in the pocket and out of it. He changes the calculus of even a bad line - see what Kyler Murray has done to revive a bad Cardinals offensive line this year.

2. How, exactly, does getting a bridge QB and winning 4-6 games next year get them in position to draft a franchise QB in 2021? They are in position to draft a franchise QB NOW - in 2020, assuming they finish the tank off in style. There are no guarantees that they will be no. 1 or no 2 overall pick in 2021 - in fact, likely would not be. So passing on a franchise QB spin of the wheel hoping to spin the wheel again in 2021? No thanks.

43 minutes ago, SF2 said:

As an LSU fan please don’t draft Joe Burrow unless the Bengals get a new O line coach and Jonah Williams proves to me he isn’t a bust by playing a few games this year.  Also want to see a quality RT and interior lineman picked up in FA before the draft.  If these things don’t occur take Young, he just needs to line up on the end and chase QBs. 

Pick up TWO quality OL in Free Agency? Your wish list is already too much for the Inbreds to handle. There is a reason they keep the Inbred group very small - it is so each has their own corner of the room to roll up into the fetal position 

If Jonah Williams doesn't play, do we still get him for 4+1 years, or does this year count and it's 3+1?

Also...best case is Tua goes back to Bama and you have Tua, Lawrence and Fields all coming out next year.  Draft Chase this year, then hope and pray Isaiah Simmons (LB/Clemson) falls to 2.1.  Someone needs to hack his Twitter acct. and someone else send him a bong, gas mask and a video camera.  He needs to fall.

6 hours ago, High School Harry said:

he didn't love.

Chase Young 2020 draft

The second line sort of defies logic...albeit that would also depend if Boy Wonder is still around. 

But, arguendo, let's say he is not: why would you need to go out and scrounge for some Mariota/Bortles type--when you still have a capable guy here with a year left on his contract? Is that not a "bridge"? 

5 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

The second line sort of defies logic...albeit that would also depend if Boy Wonder is still around. 

But, arguendo, let's say he is not: why would you need to go out and scrounge for some Mariota/Bortles type--when you still have a capable guy here with a year left on his contract? Is that not a "bridge"? 

I'm thinking trade Andy while you can still get something for him before he goes to free agency and we get nothing.

Finley probably gone, too, but someone for a couple years to play next season and either groom or back up the 2021 quarterback.

5 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

If Jonah Williams doesn't play, do we still get him for 4+1 years, or does this year count and it's 3+1?

Also...best case is Tua goes back to Bama and you have Tua, Lawrence and Fields all coming out next year.  Draft Chase this year, then hope and pray Isaiah Simmons (LB/Clemson) falls to 2.1.  Someone needs to hack his Twitter acct. and someone else send him a bong, gas mask and a video camera.  He needs to fall.

3+1.  He is on PUP which means he is officially rostered for the year  but doesn't count against the 53.  The Bengals have to do something in the next few weeks I believe, either activate him or send him to season ending IR.  The could also release him but obviously wont.  McCarron was on reserve Non football related injury list his first year I believe. 

12 minutes ago, SF2 said:

3+1.  He is on PUP which means he is officially rostered for the year  but doesn't count against the 53.  The Bengals have to do something in the next few weeks I believe, either activate him or send him to season ending IR.  The could also release him but obviously wont.  McCarron was on reserve Non football related injury list his first year I believe. 

Shoot, I was hoping we'd get him for an extra year before having to decide if they want that optional 5th year.  In that case, I hope he can get on the field this year and get some experience.  Not enough to cost us the #1 pick, but enough to beat the Stains at least once and officially end their playoff hopes.

3 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

Shoot, I was hoping we'd get him for an extra year before having to decide if they want that optional 5th year.  In that case, I hope he can get on the field this year and get some experience.  Not enough to cost us the #1 pick, but enough to beat the Stains at least once and officially end their playoff hopes.

I would just like to see if he is better than Hart this year. 

3 hours ago, High School Harry said:

I'm thinking trade Andy while you can still get something for him before he goes to free agency and we get nothing.

Finley probably gone, too, but someone for a couple years to play next season and either groom or back up the 2021 quarterback.

OK...I get the trade angle. 

May be moot, as Boy Wonder will most likely still be here. Figure it will be he will opt for the Bortles "bridge"...but that always could be a "bridge to nowhere". 

So...for all you Chase Young at #1 overall truthers...the best defensive player in football is on a lot of accounts Aaron Donald - how did that go for the Rams last night? On a defense stacked with first round talent? I think Lamar Jackson is still leading touchdown drives this AM...

if you want this team to have a chance to overcome front office incompetence and a fighting chance to score enough to try and hang with the kinds of offenses the Chiefs and Ravens run out - try and find a franchise QB when you can. 

Archived