Has anyone ever had a worse offseason?

1. Hire an offensive Guru for a coach-31 in scoring and 0-11 after 11 weeks

2. He hires a terrible OL coach who is a terrible person and lets go a great OL coach who everyone loved

3. People don't want to be his DC and it takes forever until he hires someone with no DC experience. Team gives up 417.3 yards per game. The worst in the league.

4. Team signs Preston Brown to a 3 year deal. He is cut halfway through the season.

5. Team signs Bobby Hart to a 3 year deal. He is horrible and hopefully benched soon.

6. Team signs 2 ex players the DC coached and a G in Free Agency. That's it. No one makes a difference. 

7. Best player gets hurt on a field they shouldn't have been playing on. Doctors say 3 weeks. He may miss the year. 

8. First round pick LT has an injury that maybe they should have known about. 

9. Backup LT and starting LG has a concussion that he has to report and then refuses to play for months.

10. Second round TE that was an odd pick barely plays. 

11. 4th rd QB that they traded up for has zero arm strength and it's pretty apparent he can't play the position 3 weeks in. 

Everything Duke Tobin touched this offseaon fell apart. 

Somewhere right now somewhere in an upscale Mediterranean style home in Phoenix sits Marvin Lewis. He is in flip-flops cackling his ass off just laughing hysterically. Deep belly laughs, perhaps hunched over with laughter. As close to instant karma as you can get. 

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

1. Hire an offensive Guru for a coach-31 in scoring and 0-11 after 11 weeks

2. He hires a terrible OL coach who is a terrible person and lets go a great OL coach who everyone loved

3. People don't want to be his DC and it takes forever until he hires someone with no DC experience. Team gives up 417.3 yards per game. The worst in the league.

4. Team signs Preston Brown to a 3 year deal. He is cut halfway through the season.

5. Team signs Bobby Hart to a 3 year deal. He is horrible and hopefully benched soon.

6. Team signs 2 ex players the DC coached and a G in Free Agency. That's it. No one makes a difference. 

7. Best player gets hurt on a field they shouldn't have been playing on. Doctors say 3 weeks. He may miss the year. 

8. First round pick LT has an injury that maybe they should have known about. 

9. Backup LT and starting LG has a concussion that he has to report and then refuses to play for months.

10. Second round TE that was an odd pick barely plays. 

11. 4th rd QB that they traded up for has zero arm strength and it's pretty apparent he can't play the position 3 weeks in. 

Everything Duke Tobin touched this offseaon fell apart. 

I don't know where Taylor got this offensive guru tag from, he had full season as an OC and his offense was one of the worst in CFB. 

He worked with someone who got that label, maybe by osmosis he is offensive guru.

Hope that Bill Callahan gets fired in Washington so he can join his son as the OL coach and replace the bum we now have.

Hire Jack Del Rio as your DC that will go miles towards getting a decent defense again. If it looks like Jack is the guy for HC going forward then so be it. Last time around when we settled for this smuck we have as DC things "didn't work out" when attempting to seriously consider Jack.  Is it Zach who didn't want him looking over his shoulder or were Jack's demands more than Mikey could swallow or maybe both?

This offseason was so Bengals...

Many recent seasons prior where "we might surprise a few people" then marred by some injuries or Marvining. Shitty but not entirely devastating.

This offseason though, it just felt like the hole was dug extra deep. Like we'll need three seasons just to think about .500 football.

This season is worse than Dave Shula Bengals. That's bad..

I think most expected the defense to still be shitty due to the unknown DC and the useless LB situation which was not addressed. 

But I do think most had some hope (what does Red say about hope in The Shawshank Redemption?) that the offense would at least be upgraded in terms of systems and they could at least manage something despite the awful OL. 

Overall, the changed out the coaches but there seemed to be the regular overhang of apathy that this franchise so often falls into. The Inbreds just lift their hands and say "What else are we supposed to do?"

I listen to the press conferences by zach. This guy is clueless and learning on job. He wants people to win their one on one battles. Bobby hart needs help as does most of lineman. Asking him to beat watt just speaks to he thinks he is a know it all  and refuses to adapt. The players just go through motion and say what they need to say. Coaches are to stupid to figure out they are in over their heads. Zach might succeed with-a good organization . 

Mike brown is smiling getting ready for team move in four years saving money for team move.

1 hour ago, cpalmer2004 said:

I listen to the press conferences by zach. This guy is clueless and learning on job. He wants people to win their one on one battles. Bobby hart needs help as does most of lineman. Asking him to beat watt just speaks to he thinks he is a know it all  and refuses to adapt. The players just go through motion and say what they need to say. Coaches are to stupid to figure out they are in over their heads. Zach might succeed with-a good organization . 

Mike brown is smiling getting ready for team move in four years saving money for team move.

I am beginning to wonder if that would even bother me.

9 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

I am beginning to wonder if that would even bother me.

I doubt he would be able to move the team without selling it. i suspect the other owners would only accept one with the other. They would never set up a new market to fail with this fucking loser as an owner. 

For me, I live in Canada so it is not really fair for my opinion on any move - this should be left for the local folk to decide if they would accept it. 

4 hours ago, BengalTillIDie said:

Hope that Bill Callahan gets fired in Washington so he can join his son as the OL coach and replace the bum we now have.

Hire Jack Del Rio as your DC that will go miles towards getting a decent defense again. If it looks like Jack is the guy for HC going forward then so be it. Last time around when we settled for this smuck we have as DC things "didn't work out" when attempting to seriously consider Jack.  Is it Zach who didn't want him looking over his shoulder or were Jack's demands more than Mikey could swallow or maybe both?

Why would JDR come here after interviewing last off-season and coming to mutual decision that it wasn't a good fit with him working with Taylor.

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

Why would JDR come here after interviewing last off-season and coming to mutual decision that it wasn't a good fit with him working with Taylor.

The only position JDR would take is HC.  He isn't 72 years old like Wade Phillips in Los Angeles.   Guy has 12 years of meh head coaching experience but he took the 2016 Raiders to the playoffs which is miraculous in itself.  Way more experienced than  Jarrod Goff's warm up buddy.

6 hours ago, saphead said:

Somewhere right now somewhere in an upscale Mediterranean style home in Phoenix sits Marvin Lewis. He is in flip-flops cackling his ass off just laughing hysterically. Deep belly laughs, perhaps hunched over with laughter. As close to instant karma as you can get. 

More of a hacienda in that area, maybe even a legit old one & not a Spanish Revival-style McMansion with a balcony you can't really stand on..  but it's that same sort of stucco & tile either way.  Just a little more Texas Roadhouse round the edges, and with golf.

I picture him grilling out on the patio for Thanksgiving.

Man great points. Those things don't plague quality managed teams. We need a new owner so bad. But one that wouldn't move the team. Is that asking for too much? Is that getting our cake and eating it too?  Bezos would probably buy the Bengals at the drop of a hat and hire the best of the best to run it with a massive scouting team.   Amazon has billions in assets in the Ohio valley why not add little more. 

Also it could get worse this off-season. In another post somewhere on this site someone brought up a crazy but plausible scenario of the top two or three prospects declaring that they will hold out if drafted by Cincinnati. 

Can we say that Eli holding out on San Diego was a very significant key to the majority of his success?

Sorry Bob, but that "holdout" ploy is long departed. If a player is the #1 overall pick, he automatically is the #1 salary. It is not like the old days--like Eli--where pulling that stuff will not only get you traded, but gets you even more dough. With every pick slotted, you get what you get at that spot. 

And anyway, the Giants were just as shit as SD back then...it was more attractive because it was New York City.

26 minutes ago, saphead said:

It would be funny though if the #1 pick just retired from football instead of playing for the Bengals. Maybe Burrow will just get his real estate license or something. 

I thought they were allowed to try again the following year? 

14 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Yes they can - if they do not sign with the team that drafted him, they can sit out the year and enter the draft the next year

Correct. They changed the rule after the Eli Manning and Elway hostage situations to prevent shady agents from negotiating with other teams and forcing a draft and trade.

If they do that now they lose their agent credentials. The other huge change was the rookie pay scale. 

14 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

They can't if the Bengals pick them. 

21 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Yes they can - if they do not sign with the team that drafted him, they can sit out the year and enter the draft the next year

I think the joke there was that we'll be picking first overall in the next draft, too.

On 11/28/2019 at 1:56 AM, Catfish Bob said:

Man great points. Those things don't plague quality managed teams. We need a new owner so bad. But one that wouldn't move the team. Is that asking for too much? Is that getting our cake and eating it too?  Bezos would probably buy the Bengals at the drop of a hat and hire the best of the best to run it with a massive scouting team.   Amazon has billions in assets in the Ohio valley why not add little more. 

I think the best we can hope for, and the most realistic scenario, would be MB either passing away or becoming incapacitated (it’s dubious and not right to “hope for these things”) and the full control of day-to-day operations would fall to Troy and Katie. Hopefully they would both understand that they do not possess the requisite football knowledge to continue the charade their father has been engaged in, the hubris would come to an end, and a big time GM hunt would ensue. 

To be clear, I’m not holding my breath for this, but I think it’s the best we can hope for, short of the team being sold and moved.

Archived