Has anyone ever had a worse offseason?

1 hour ago, thezerawkid said:

I think the best we can hope for, and the most realistic scenario, would be MB either passing away or becoming incapacitated (it’s dubious and not right to “hope for these things”) and the full control of day-to-day operations would fall to Troy and Katie. Hopefully they would both understand that they do not possess the requisite football knowledge to continue the charade their father has been engaged in, the hubris would come to an end, and a big time GM hunt would ensue. 

To be clear, I’m not holding my breath for this, but I think it’s the best we can hope for, short of the team being sold and moved.

I think it's more likely they would sell, but still highly unlikely.  

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I think it's more likely they would sell, but still highly unlikely.  

I mean, maybe? 

Why sell an on-going gravy train for a payout, especially when you can significantly scale back your involvement, the amount of time you’re committing, and continue to make the cheddar, maintain control of an asset that can then be passed on to heirs?

20 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

I mean, maybe? 

Why sell an on-going gravy train for a payout, especially when you can significantly scale back your involvement, the amount of time you’re committing, and continue to make the cheddar, maintain control of an asset that can then be passed on to heirs?

They would only sell if the team were being moved and they were forced to do so.  Why would anyone give up a legal printing press?

29 minutes ago, SF2 said:

They would only sell if the team were being moved and they were forced to do so.  Why would anyone give up a legal printing press?

Why would moving a team force ownership to sell? How is that even legal?

I’ll admit, I don’t know what the NFL rules are that govern a team being moved, but I find it hard to believe ownership interest can be forced by the league. If so, owning an NFL team would be like a very high priced time share.

6 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

Why would moving a team force ownership to sell? How is that even legal?

I’ll admit, I don’t know what the NFL rules are that govern a team being moved, but I find it hard to believe ownership interest can be forced by the league. If so, owning an NFL team would be like a very high priced time share.

Okay, I did some digging, and I found something:

A little-known clause in the NFL’s bylaws gives league commissioner Roger Goodell the power to order the sale of a team if an owner ‘is guilty of conduct detrimental to the welfare of the league or professional football.’ Usually that means personal misconduct.”

https://www.wusa9.com/mobile/article/sports/nfl/redskins/washington-redskins-owner-sell-the-team/65-78e8ac76-c9ea-4daa-8992-20f1c1b1a12e

It seems highly unlikely they could prove this standard was not adhered to by the Brown family. Are they terrible owners? Absolutely, perhaps the very worst in the game. But, in the time since Dan Snyder took over Washington, we had a couple stretches of years during which we were quite competitive.

I dunno...I don’t see the Browns being “forced” to sell.

Right, not forced to sell just yet. I think we need another half decade of zero to one or two wins per season.

Once our average attendance starts comparing more with the Indiana Pacers or the Bear Cats and stays that way. Then the NFL could possibly see this franchise as a threat.

2 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

Okay, I did some digging, and I found something:

A little-known clause in the NFL’s bylaws gives league commissioner Roger Goodell the power to order the sale of a team if an owner ‘is guilty of conduct detrimental to the welfare of the league or professional football.’ Usually that means personal misconduct.”

https://www.wusa9.com/mobile/article/sports/nfl/redskins/washington-redskins-owner-sell-the-team/65-78e8ac76-c9ea-4daa-8992-20f1c1b1a12e

It seems highly unlikely they could prove this standard was not adhered to by the Brown family. Are they terrible owners? Absolutely, perhaps the very worst in the game. But, in the time since Dan Snyder took over Washington, we had a couple stretches of years during which we were quite competitive.

I dunno...I don’t see the Browns being “forced” to sell.

After Art Modell moved his Browns to Baltimore, the state of Ohio passed the "Modell law". It says a publicly supported sports team has to offer local governments or private parties a chance to buy the team before they can move. The Bengals certainly qualify as publicly supported due to their very favorable stadium lease. Hamilton county or the city of Cincinnati could also use their powers of eminent domain to acquire the team even if it's not moving. But they'd have to pay fair compensation and don't have a spare billion dollars sitting around.

23 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Wasn't the team valued at over $1 billion?   How much do you think they're clearing every year now? 

Considering the average value of a franchise is $2.9 billion and these teams make a lion’s share of their money from league revenue sharing, I’d guess in the $2-2.25 billion range.

54 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

Considering the average value of a franchise is $2.9 billion and these teams make a lion’s share of their money from league revenue sharing, I’d guess in the $2-2.25 billion range.

No way are they netting $2 billion a year

35 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

My bad, I thought we were still discussing value. 

Yeah I'm trying to get an idea of how many years worth of NFL subsidies they'd get as a lump sum from selling.

Either way they're loaded though, maybe it has more to do with feeling important and the PB legacy (that they've shit all over but of course they don't see it that way.)

The last Forbes report had the Bengals at around $2B, They would have to pay taxes of some sort say $500M so they could net $1.5B or so, invest that even at 3% nets $5M per year - which is probably close to what they make per year.

After the Tree Sloth dies, Katie may be motivated to sell just due to what she has said  - 'running an NFL team is hard work".

Seen this movie before: each time the franchise has gone to shit (record-wise), all this malarkey about "moving" comes up. 

Everyone seems to forget: MB had the exact same deal proposed to him by Baltimore that Modell did...and he didn't take it. In actuality, he would have taken it, but for the lease term.

He wouldn't do it then--even on his own terms--and he won't do it now. He cares most about his father's good name...no group, no movement, no offers, and for fucking A tweety certain not the NFL, are going to make him. And don't think for a second, this is not totally baked into his progeny either. 

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Seen this movie before: each time the franchise has gone to shit (record-wise), all this malarkey about "moving" comes up. 

Everyone seems to forget: MB had the exact same deal proposed to him by Baltimore that Modell did...and he didn't take it. In actuality, he would have taken it, but for the lease term.

He wouldn't do it then--even on his own terms--and he won't do it now. He cares most about his father's good name...no group, no movement, no offers, and for fucking A tweety certain not the NFL, are going to make him. And don't think for a second, this is not totally baked into his progeny either. 

People below the age of 45 don’t know or care who Paul Brown was. It was like my dad trying to get me excited about the 60s Celtics. Never saw them play and the old videos remind me of a bad A-10 team. 

10 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

I'm not convnced Pumpkin is that enamored with owning a football team in the long term.  It would not surprise me at all to see her sell once Ol' Musty is pining for the fjords. 

I see in the not so distant future the Dubai Bengals playing in the domed climate controlled Allah Akbar Stadium.

The cheerleaders will be called Ali Ben Galis and wear full black burkas, orange a couple games a year and white color rush hijabs

and make that weird tongue warble noise.

48 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

I see in the not so distant future the Dubai Bengals playing in the domed climate controlled Allah Akbar Stadium.

The cheerleaders will be called Ali Ben Galis and wear full black burkas, orange a couple games a year and white color rush hijabs

and make that weird tongue warble noise.

You know, I used to think a London-based team would never happen because of the 8-9 hour time difference making for slop games and the health hazard involved with travelling like that, but I've since come to realize the NFL couldn't give less of a shit.  Thursday Night Football shows they don't care about the quality of the games & when some bruised up 350lb dude dies from a blood clot on a transatlantic flight they will just hire doctors willing to sign off on it being safe the same way they do for concussions.  

Off topic side note.  NFL franchises were going for $200 - $300 in the 20's and 30's.  I saw somewhere that around WWII time that the then Colts sold for $500.

Not 100% sure but I think Jerrry Jones bought the Cowboys for $140m.

My point.

At certain times in history some of these franchises became the greatest investments of all time. Hundreds to billions. 

Can anyone think of a investment that has done better?

57 minutes ago, Catfish Bob said:

Off topic side note.  NFL franchises were going for $200 - $300 in the 20's and 30's.  I saw somewhere that around WWII time that the then Colts sold for $500.

My point.

At certain times in history some of these franchises became the greatest investments of all time. Hundreds to billions. 

Apple, Google, Amazon, etc. But yes, it is very rare. the values took off with advent of TV. 

In the 50's, players would come to to the CFL because they were paid more than in the NFL! I believe Bud Grant said he was paid $1,000 more for coming to Winnipeg instead of the NFL. 

Now, the NFL salary cap per team is like $180M and the CFL cap per team is 6M.. Crazy.

But because the franchise values are so high someone like Pumpkin may actually want to sell to lock in the value - at some point the values will start to come down as the revenue drops. It always does.

2 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

My point.

I read somewhere that one of the early teams changed hands in a poker game but can't find the reference offhand.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

I read somewhere that one of the early teams changed hands in a poker game but can't find the reference offhand.

FWIW, Rooney bought the Steelers with gambling winnings from horse races.  Not sure if I have heard of poker game winning a franchise.  Interesting.

Archived