Jets vs Bengals, Good Bad and Ugly...

6 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

Rome wasn’t built in a day. This franchise needed a major cultural shift post Marvin. That takes time.

I’m willing to chalk up the failures to being extremely multifaceted, and not all of them being something Zac could control. Certainly injuries. Perhaps some of the assistant coaches not necessarily being his picks. 

The team generally plays hard and is bought in...even at 1-11. I’m in for one more year of this regime.

A big part of the problem with Taylor is that he wasn't able to bring in good assistants. I'm not sure he would even be able to recruit a better staff if he tried. Why would anyone work for him if they had a better option? Dude has no reputation, no track record, and is far less-experienced than many/most of the candidates. How would he help you advance? It only exaggerates the situation that the novice executive has surrounded himself with a crappy 'cabinet.' Reminds one of national politics.

Marvin had a nice track record of advancement of his assistants, and also had a great resume going before he was even made HC. Hence why we had several coordinators (including Hue, but most notably Zimmer) who were well-known and already in consideration of being head coaches elsewhere.

10 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Saw this little nugget on another website:

https://nfltraderumors.co/hue-jackson-strong-candidate-for-arizona-state-offensive-coordinator-vacancy/

I was laughing at Merv trying to get Hue a job until the part where it said "Jackson interviewed for the Bengals HC job in January" - why the F*ck would this team spend more than 3 seconds thinking about Jackson as a HC candidate? Idiots. 

When Hue walked into the building, he just made this sound - kinda went 'hee heee!' - and MB and all the front office staff in the building started going 'hee heeeee!' - and here they go.

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

All well and good. The second statement wasn't the one I was looking for your response. You did make a wide sweeping exoneration of Boy Wonder with his lack of choice in selection of coaches, for which I asked the question:which ones would those be? 

I said, “Perhaps some of the assistant coaches not necessarily being his picks,” that’s not exactly a “wide sweeping exoneration.” DC is the bugaboo that’s sticks in my craw the most. As was suggested by another poster, we can’t be sure how many legit picks passed on the gig(s) because they’d be answering to “boy wonder,” and how many potential quality assistants passed for lack of the opening of the purse. 

On 12/2/2019 at 7:19 AM, thezerawkid said:

Nobody honestly believes, even if we had gone winless, that Zac Taylor would have been showed the door after one season, do they?

Head coaches do, and should, get at least a couple seasons to put things together. Petulantly coach jumping after a season or less isn’t productive.

Yeah, its always funny when the coach gets the blame, as if the players hes coaching arent, i dont know, playing.  But hey, cant get rid of them right?  That might mean you would have to admit bigger issues with the team you root for.🤷‍♂️

To be honest, this team has fought and played hard all year, save for a few games.  They are, i believe, second in the league, when it comes to one possession games.  Lets be honest, the players have left a lot of plays out there in those games.  That, combined with an absurd amount of injuries to positions they could ill afford and the ball never seemingly bouncing their way all year, suggests they are just a few key pieces and key plays away from truly having atleast a 6-6 record as opposed to a 1-11 record at this time.  Dont get me wrong, they have been a bad team all year, i just dont think they are as far off as we might think.  That, however, will be determined heavily as they move forward in the draft and free agency.   

One other thing, this defense although not playing any offensive world beaters the past month (aside from Baltimore), has played pretty stout and seems to be on the upswing.  This seems to be directly related to Preston Brown being cut and Pratt being inserted along with allowing some of the young guys upfront to get more reps.  Even Vigil has looked very good the past few weeks.  Maybe me homer glasses are back on, but with hitting in the right areas, be it draft of free agency, this team could rebound very well next season.     

11 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

I said, “Perhaps some of the assistant coaches not necessarily being his picks,” that’s not exactly a “wide sweeping exoneration.” DC is the bugaboo that’s sticks in my craw the most. As was suggested by another poster, we can’t be sure how many legit picks passed on the gig(s) because they’d be answering to “boy wonder,” and how many potential quality assistants passed for lack of the opening of the purse. 

We share the same concern as to the DC who, in turn, selects "his assistants". It rolls downhill. 

The largest swing and miss however, has to be the guy in charge of the offensive line. He is a disaster, and should be the first one out the door. He may have had more involvement in CordyGate than is alluded, but speculating here.    

16 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

What do you mean?

I mean it looks good in 20/20 hindsight but we probably would've already won a game weeks ago if they weren't wasting everyone's time with Finley.   They were a better team with Dalton then as well as now, Taylor didn't do shit but create some drama & guarantee a few L's.  Crediting him with some kind of turn-around motivational tactic now is quite a stretch.  At best he was tanking.  Realistically he has his head up his ass.  All he did was go back to square one.

31 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I mean it looks good in 20/20 hindsight but we probably would've already won a game weeks ago if they weren't wasting everyone's time with Finley.   They were a better team with Dalton then as well as now, Taylor didn't do shit but create some drama & guarantee a few L's.  Crediting him with some kind of turn-around motivational tactic now is quite a stretch.  At best he was tanking.  Realistically he has his head up his ass.  All he did was go back to square one.

Okay...🙄

41 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

Okay...🙄

:D

Just a different perspective is all, I don't claim to know what really happened.  I also thought Dalton wouldn't take another snap here so who knows?  I'd certainly like to think there's a bigger plan at work but I am not convinced.

Archived