Early Mock Draft

I went thedraftnework.com a did a quick 5-round mock.  I know it's early and ranking will change between now and April, but I would love this.  Don't necessarily need a RB in the 5th, but at that point I didn't really know about too many others at this point in the season.  Dylan Moses would be a steal in the 2nd based off of last year.  He didn't play this year due to injury, but he's better than any LB we currently have, which isn't hard to achieve.

image.png.9eb51e2d355efec782e2124bbbfcee75.png

5 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Oh good, another RB. And no OL until the 4th round, perfect. I would replace the LB in the 2nd with another TE and I think then you nailed our actual draft. 

I would have loved another OL too, but they would have been reaches.  I don't watch too many olinemen that closely unless they're dominate so for them I rely on the analysts ratings.  I don't think we need another RB, but it doesn't hurt to draft one every year and you might strike gold.  Who knows if we'll be able to re-sign Mixon...I personally don't think you should tie up a huge contract in the RB position, but Mixon is one of the 5-6 guys you may give the high dollars.  

19 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

I went thedraftnework.com a did a quick 5-round mock.  I know it's early and ranking will change between now and April, but I would love this.  Don't necessarily need a RB in the 5th, but at that point I didn't really know about too many others at this point in the season.  Dylan Moses would be a steal in the 2nd based off of last year.  He didn't play this year due to injury, but he's better than any LB we currently have, which isn't hard to achieve.

I would be OK with that, however, I am beginning to think we won't get the first pick in the draft.

Athletically and football-wise Chase Young > Joe Burrow.

A surer thing.

There are can't miss, super duper first round quarterbacks that come out every year and many of them

flop miserably.  A lot of good quarterbacks come from lower rounds, ones who excel better than the high price spread.

If it shakes down to we do get the first pick, I would

1) take Chase Young and go quarterback next year.  Kind of like the C-word up north did with Myles Garret and Baker Mayfield the next year.

That nameless team is a prime example of how highly ranked and drafted quarterbacks can completely suck and sink a franchise for a decade.

Couch, Tebow, Manzel, etc.  But we can throw in Klingler, Akili and all the way back to Jack Thompson who at least netted some good draft

picks in a trade.

or ... if we draft 1 and the Giants draft 2

2) trade down with the Giants for extra juicy picks and still keep our primo spot.  They take Young and then we take Burrow and beef up with

extra picks this year and/or next.

BUT... we'll take Burrow with the first pick, if we get it, and I guess I can live with that especially if they do something to support him. 

6 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

If you have a good OL, RB's are literally a dime a dozen. I would use your theory on drafting RB's every year to OL though - draft 2 or 3 every year. 

Do you think there are any "special" backs that can make an average O line look great?  I read something a while ago (I'll have to try to find it and link it) that talked about the difference between an average line and a great line isn't work the money it takes to sign those guys.  It was an interesting take on it if you put any stock into analytics.    

12 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

I would be OK with that, however, I am beginning to think we won't get the first pick in the draft.

Athletically and football-wise Chase Young > Joe Burrow.

A surer thing.

There are can't miss, super duper first round quarterbacks that come out every year and many of them

flop miserably.  A lot of good quarterbacks come from lower rounds, ones who excel better than the high price spread.

If it shakes down to we do get the first pick, I would

1) take Chase Young and go quarterback next year.  Kind of like the C-word up north did with Myles Garret and Baker Mayfield the next year.

That nameless team is a prime example of how highly ranked and drafted quarterbacks can completely suck and sink a franchise for a decade.

Couch, Tebow, Manzel, etc.  But we can throw in Klingler, Akili and all the way back to Jack Thompson who at least netted some good draft

picks in a trade.

or ... if we draft 1 and the Giants draft 2

2) trade down with the Giants for extra juicy picks and still keep our primo spot.  They take Young and then we take Burrow and beef up with

extra picks this year and/or next.

BUT... we'll take Burrow with the first pick, if we get it, and I guess I can live with that especially if they do something to support him. 

I like the thought of taking the QB next year with Trevor Lawrence being in the draft.  The only problem is we'll either have to pick first, or trade to #1 to get him.  A lot of people like Justin Fields next year as well, but I'm not quite as sold on him yet.  He's been really good this year, but throwing the ball he's still too inaccurate at times for me.  Now, if he improves his accuracy next year (or preferable this year starting Saturday) that may be an option.  

Best case is if Tua goes back to Alabama and there are three legit QBs in the draft next year.

2 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

Do you think there are any "special" backs that can make an average O line look great?  I read something a while ago (I'll have to try to find it and link it) that talked about the difference between an average line and a great line isn't work the money it takes to sign those guys.  It was an interesting take on it if you put any stock into analytics.    

That is interesting. No doubt a special back can make a good OL seem great, just as much as a great OL can make an average back look good. It seems to be no secret that throughout the history of this franchise, the best teams had good OL's. 

QB's are a premium players position and the DE's are so frigging athletic that you have no choice but to try and find good OL and pay them well. The more you can draft and develop the more you can let one two good ones go in order to keep the entire position within a reasonable cap number. 

2 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

I like the thought of taking the QB next year with Trevor Lawrence being in the draft.  The only problem is we'll either have to pick first, or trade to #1 to get him.  A lot of people like Justin Fields next year as well, but I'm not quite as sold on him yet.  He's been really good this year, but throwing the ball he's still too inaccurate at times for me.  Now, if he improves his accuracy next year (or preferable this year starting Saturday) that may be an option.  

Best case is if Tua goes back to Alabama and there are three legit QBs in the draft next year.

I would be shocked if Tua went back to school - too many injuries all already. Not worth the risk - everyone knows how good he is if he is healthy. 

12 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Any 2nd or 3rd round OL prospects in this group?:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/offensive-linemen/offensive-linemen

I haven't heard of a lot of these guys, but I'll read about them and watch who I can find videos on.  I'm no expert (I thought Jake Fisher was a good pick), but I enjoy armchair scouting.  Someone always falls, like Dalton Risner last year.  Hopefully there's that same type of player this year and with us picking at the top of each round, hopefully, we'll be in a prime spot to have our choice of fallers.

6 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

I read something a while ago (I'll have to try to find it and link it) that talked about the difference between an average line and a great line isn't work the money it takes to sign those guys. 

The difference between average lines and  the Bengals line canyon-like. I'd do backflips for average.

That O-Line played pretty damn well last week against a top 5 defense. Give credit where it's due.

Gotta start somewhere.. 

and if nothing else, they've at least found their full time starter at C in Hopkins....at least that's one position they no longer have to worry about, other than depth.

16 hours ago, spicoli said:

That O-Line played pretty damn well last week against a top 5 defense. Give credit where it's due.

Gotta start somewhere.. 

and if nothing else, they've at least found their full time starter at C in Hopkins....at least that's one position they no longer have to worry about, other than depth.

Agreed, and I thought Cordy Glenn played well too.  I don't know if we can count on him long-term, but I think we need two tackles (to replace Hart and a good backup), and a RG.  That should really solidify our line if Jonah Williams turns into Levi Jones and not Cedric O.

1 hour ago, WRAPradio said:

Agreed, and I thought Cordy Glenn played well too.  I don't know if we can count on him long-term, but I think we need two tackles (to replace Hart and a good backup), and a RG.  That should really solidify our line if Jonah Williams turns into Levi Jones and not Cedric O.

So we *only* need 3 lineman to solidify the OL? That is a relief, i thought we were far off

On 12/3/2019 at 12:27 PM, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Oh good, another RB. And no OL until the 4th round, perfect. I would replace the LB in the 2nd with another TE and I think then you nailed our actual draft. 

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

So we *only* need 3 lineman to solidify the OL? That is a relief, i thought we were far off

Lol

Nothing will change with the offense until that freak show of a oline is good..

Im not sure if jonah williams will be good...who knows

Have to trade back a bit and take the top ot in the draft plus you pick up another good draft choice..

Every year the Stealers have a brute line and great linebackers...why not we try that?

32 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Nothing will change with the offense until that freak show of a oline is good..

Im not sure if jonah williams will be good...who knows

Have to trade back a bit and take the top ot in the draft plus you pick up another good draft choice..

Every year the Stealers have a brute line and great linebackers...why not we try that?

We could try that - if we had the same scouting staff they have. 

I'd be fine trading down and taking the top LB with out first pick, then going OL next. I'd be OK with taking Burrow if Mikey would sigh a primo OL in free agency so he doesn't get ruined but I just don't  see that happening. The Bengal will live and (mostly) die by the draft for the near future I'm afraid.

On 12/3/2019 at 10:07 AM, WRAPradio said:

i almost hate everything about this draft, dont address the line till the 4th? no QB? a wr? for what? i would however LOVE to grab moses in the 2nd, and i cant complain about young either, do i love how this starts i guess... and hate how it ends..

Archived