Where will Marv coach in 2020 & Who wins a Super Bowl first

Where will ol Marv land?   

23 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you see Lewis coaching next year 2020? Who will win a Super Bowl first? Mulitple Choice

• Lewis wins Super Bowl before Bengals
    • Bengals win Super Bowl before Lewis
    • Lewis stays as a advisor at ASU
    • Browns hire Lewis this January
    • Bengals bring Lewis back
    • Panthers
    • Cowboys
    • Redskins
    • Jags
    • Lions
    • Chargers
    • Bears
    • Falcons
    • Giants
    • Jets
    • Other

Wasn't it in early 2011 right after the 2010 season that rumors started flying about Marvin Lewis leaving, IIRC he supposedly had other coaching opportunities.  The Bengals quickly gave Marv a 2 year extension which included Brown ceding more control over the roster and operations to Lewis.  I remember the press conference with Mike and Marv.

https://www.bengals.com/video/mike-brown-marvin-lewis-press-conference-1-4-11-3211766

Looking back, I believe that Marvin Lewis had more market capital at that point in 2011 than he has in 2019.  Marvin had a good reputation of bringing the Bengals out of the dark ages and making them respectable in spite of Mike Brown.  Even though in the succeeding years the Bengals had better rosters and went to the playoffs, their lack of post season success tarnished Marvin's reputation and he lost market value.   

2 hours ago, westside bengal said:

Wasn't it in early 2011 right after the 2010 season that rumors started flying about Marvin Lewis leaving, IIRC he supposedly had other coaching opportunities.  The Bengals quickly gave Marv a 2 year extension which included Brown ceding more control over the roster and operations to Lewis.  I remember the press conference with Mike and Marv.

https://www.bengals.com/video/mike-brown-marvin-lewis-press-conference-1-4-11-3211766

Looking back, I believe that Marvin Lewis had more market capital at that point in 2011 than he has in 2019.  Marvin had a good reputation of bringing the Bengals out of the dark ages and making them respectable in spite of Mike Brown.  Even though in the succeeding years the Bengals had better rosters and went to the playoffs, their lack of post season success tarnished Marvin's reputation and he lost market value.   

Funny, I remember listening to that press conference in my car and thinking "WTF? We're keeping him?"

Marv seems to have a pretty sweet gig right now so I don't see him changing.  He never struck me as one of those "I need to be the head coach forever" or "NFL or bust" kinda guys.  He seems more like the "settle into something comfortable" type.  I'm not trying to be critical, just a perception observation on my part.

If he does come back to the NFL, I'd say the Jags.

They are in the weakest division, and are only a solid QB away from being contenders again.

Their defense has holes but are fixable.

They also lack discipline, which Marv would introduce.

I voted that the Bengals would win a Super Bowl before Marvin, because Marvin will never win one and you have to assume the blind squirrel Bengals will find a nut at some point in their existence.  It won't be during his career, though.

If Marvin does coach again, he'll put together some good 11-5 teams, but they'll never win shit because they'll be mentally weak and undisciplined when the bright playoff lights come on.

12 hours ago, Hooky said:

It never ceases to amaze how many inane threads get started in the off-season.

Lol

I wanted to make a similar point but was waiting for the right thread. 

Anyway,, the ugliest of the ugly this season is how early we started talking about next season. :(

From what I've been reading on the interwebs it seems ol Marv might be a top candidate for some teams.

One article was saying that since the recent young offensive gurus have been a bit of a bust teams will be looking for experience. They had Marv as one of the top choices. Also said something about the NFL trying to encourage teams to go that route (of more experience).  

Archived