Do AJ Green or Jonah Williams play at all this year?

Do AJ Green or Jonah Williams play at all this year?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do AJ Green or Jonah Williams play at all this year?

• AJ Only
    • Williams Only
    • Both
    • Neither

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/17/a-j-green-has-no-problem-with-franchise-tag-but-hopes-for-commitment/

A.J. Green has “no problem” with franchise tag but hopes for commitment
Posted by Charean Williams on December 17, 2019, 3:56 PM EST

On Tuesday, A.J. Green said everything he’s said previously. He said everything he’s supposed to say.

The Bengals receiver surely is sincere in wanting to stay in Cincinnati.

But the truth is: Green has no idea what his future is given his contract expires after this season and he has played only nine games in two seasons.

The Bengals are expected to franchise Green, giving him the one-year tender worth $18 million to keep him off the market if they can’t reach a long-term deal before free agency.

“I have no problem with the franchise [tag],” Green said, via Geoff Hobson of the team website. “I don’t like it, but I’m not a guy that’s going to sit out the whole year. But at the end of the day, that shows me they’re not committed to me. That’s fine. They have a business they have to run. As the player, I have my own business, so if you do that I have to protect myself.

“If you’re not committed to me long-term, I understand. There are no hard feelings. You have a business to run. All great businesses face difficult decisions. I understand that. For me, I have to make a big decision as well.”

Green has not played this season because of torn ligaments in his ankle and is unlikely to play the final two games. He is rehabbing to get ready for 2020.

“Nobody ever pushed me. I’ve felt no pressure to come back and play,” Green said. “But you know this is a business. You never know. This could be my last big deal. I have to make sure everything is right and then we go from there. But I’ll be ready to go.”

The Bengals are 20-41-1 the past four seasons. They qualified for the postseason each of Green’s first five seasons, but he has never experienced a playoff victory.

With only one victory this season, the Bengals likely will have the top pick in the 2020 draft. Either LSU quarterback Joe Burrow or Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert seemingly would rank at the top of their wish list.

“It’s exciting,” Green said. “Where ever the pick is going to be, it’s going be a big effect on our team. You pick that high you’re going to draft a guy that’s going to make an impact on the team at that moment.

“I just want to win at this point in my career. It’s not just about the money. It’s about continuing to build my legacy, and that’s by winning.”

Green trails Chad Johnson’s team records by 150 catches, 1,877 yards and seven touchdowns.

“That was the goal always,” Green said. “To break every receiving record here.”

He will still be the most recognizable Bengal out there in 2020--to not only the locals, but also nationwide. ChaseJoe the Youngburrow will get an early-on media bump, but will likely be forgotten once the losing resumes. 

Despite SF's objections with the no-catches-in-umpteen-games-over-30-he-isn't Fitzgerald  stuff, good business does consider strongly a long-term deal for AJ. And MB likes re-signing his own, so there's that. 

And before hearing the "save that money for other needs" chant...it never is spent on other needs.   

10 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

He will still be the most recognizable Bengal out there in 2020--to not only the locals, but also nationwide. ChaseJoe the Youngburrow will get an early-on media bump, but will likely be forgotten once the losing resumes. 

Despite SF's objections with the no-catches-in-umpteen-games-over-30-he-isn't Fitzgerald  stuff, good business does consider strongly a long-term deal for AJ. And MB likes re-signing his own, so there's that. 

And before hearing the "save that money for other needs" chant...it never is spent on other needs.   

Bingo. Signing AJ is the easy path for Mikey and he always chooses that direction. Mikey will want to re-sign AJ so he can one day put him in the Ring of Honor..oh wait, he is too fucking lazy to even have one of those. 

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Oh I actually agree with this take.  AJ does bring some media coverage to the team when he actually plays.  Teaming up with Burrow would make for some early national media coverage.  A healthy Green with Burrow would certainly get me interested.   I just wonder about his health and based on going to see another doc in Green Bay about his foot, I can't be the only one. 

If it is Chase Young with Andy Dalton and Green, I wouldn't be nearly as interested but it might make for a better team in 2020. (short term)

9 hours ago, sois said:

AJ Green is a QP, trade him at the draft, get a young WR with heart that won't drop key passes. 

I see what you did there... a subliminal message with your avatar.

Andy is secretly telling us that we should draft that guy, Tuba.

The thing I find most frustrating about Adriel Jeremiah is he has been carried on the 

roster all year and probably won't see a game.  A waste of a roster spot that could

have been filled by another player who might have done more than model hoodies on

the sidelines.

3 hours ago, High School Harry said:

I see what you did there... a subliminal message with your avatar.

Andy is secretly telling us that we should draft that guy, Tuba.

The thing I find most frustrating about Adriel Jeremiah is he has been carried on the 

roster all year and probably won't see a game.  A waste of a roster spot that could

have been filled by another player who might have done more than model hoodies on

the sidelines.

We love carrying injured players on the active roster, built in excuse for losing

9 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

We love carrying injured players on the active roster, built in excuse for losing

That's number two behind some version of "Its all Mike Brown's Fault".

Something you never hear when they are winning, btw.

BTW2... I do not dislike Mike Brown at all.

High School Harry: I've Always Been a Rebel

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

That's number two behind some version of "Its all Mike Brown's Fault".

Something you never hear when they are winning, btw.

BTW2... I do not dislike Mike Brown at all.

High School Harry: I've Always Been a Rebel

In T-Dubs defense most teams would have either traded him, resigned him or IR'd him weeks ago.   They know he isn't going to play at this point so why keep up the charade?  He would be out their if he had a new contract. 

Archived