Officiating Comments

Pass Interference Review on Jesse Bates's Second interception

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/12/9/21001863/officials-end-bengals-chances-game-changing-pi-call

Officials end Bengals’ chances with game-changing PI call 

All hope was destroyed for the Bengals after the refs did something now crew has done all season.

By NathanBeighle  Dec 9, 2019, 7:00am EST

For the past four games now, the Bengals have played competitive football. Yesterday’s showdown against the Browns was no different, and the Bengals had a chance to tie the Browns yesterday at the end of the game. 

What occurred before they got that opportunity was something that defied what the 2019 regular season has established as conventional wisdom. A referee-initiated review for pass interference, something that has been under much scrutiny this season, moved the chains for the Browns and dashed the hopes for the Bengals.

This was an absolute game changer for Cincinnati. Here’s how the ESPN play-by-play broke it down:

“B.Mayfield pass short left intended for O.Beckham INTERCEPTED by J.Bates III (W.Jackson III) at CLV 25. J.Bates III to CLV 16 for 9 yards (J.Landry). The Replay Official reviewed the play for possible defensive pass interference, and the play was REVERSED.”

Here’s a look at the play itself:

Let’s just say with the score at 24-16, this call made all the difference. To be fair, it did seem like there was contact, but with the way the league and officials have called pass interference this season, the Bengals should’ve had hope as the review was under way.

Well, the score eventually became 27-16 at the conclusion of the drive, leaving the Bengals with about a minute left and theoretically ending any chance for them to come back and win. While it’s easy to blame the refs, this game was far more than just one call.

A stagnant offense would’ve also had to push and score a touchdown and secure the two-point conversion to even force overtime. While that was unlikely, this call on William Jackson III, did certainly change the game. 

The officials put their stamp on the game, and that’s certainly a takeaway. However, for Cincinnati, a loss really does nothing. If anything, it gives them a better chance at the No. 1 pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. 

If they’re still fired up about it, hopefully they can come out in Week 17 and put on a dominant performance at home against this same Browns team.

............................................................................................................................................................................

You know.........I don't ever like the "refs cost us the game" guy and I wouldn't say that about yesterday - BUT:

good God the officiating crew was horrible yesterday. They were the most flag happy crew I've seen in a while.

I think the Brownholes got jobbed on the "interception" by Vigil but after that, they wouldn't let up on us.

The article above certainly illustrates one of the very questionable calls but there were a bunch and almost all on us.

Again - we lost the damn game ourselves but these guys (refs) sucked out loud.

There.........I feel a little better now.

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Refs definitely cost us a playoff spot this year. 

Indeed.

But seriously, I know we are very poor football team, but I think the officiating had as much to do with our loss yesterday as anything else. Just, across the board, the officiating was almost as offensive as Tiki and the dragon woman’s commentating.

Glad the refs protected the Bengals from doing what they should not have done, which is win the game.

At this point drafting Joe Burrow should be the goal, not winning meaningless games.

It's time to implode this roster and the best way to ensure the Bengals get the best players is by getting the highest pick possible.

17 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

This team would probably win a few games if it actually tried to tank. They can't get anything right.

Sorry to disappoint you. Thankfully, professional athletes--indeed any athlete--try to do their best at what they do. They do not give a flying fuck about draft picks. 

8 hours ago, HOF dan said:

You know.........I don't ever like the "refs cost us the game" guy and I wouldn't say that about yesterday - BUT:

good God the officiating crew was horrible yesterday. They were the most flag happy crew I've seen in a while.

I think the Brownholes got jobbed on the "interception" by Vigil but after that, they wouldn't let up on us.

The article above certainly illustrates one of the very questionable calls but there were a bunch and almost all on us.

Again - we lost the damn game ourselves but these guys (refs) sucked out loud.

There.........I feel a little better now.

The refs didn’t necessarily cost us the game but they sure didn’t help. But it was bad on both sides, just worse on ours.

The Refs were horrible, but so was the play calling inside the 5 twice.  Zac was ripped off with a player downfield not called and then again not called on a challenge.  The expert Ref said, it is a judgment call and we don’t want to go there?  Say what, so the pass interference was not a judgment call?  Ridiculous!  

The Bengals outplayed them no matter the Refs.  It boiled down to not scoring, but I thought the Dalton Lovers said he was our savior?  Zac trusted him and he failed. 

2 hours ago, TigerJ@w said:

The Refs were horrible, but so was the play calling inside the 5 twice.  Zac was ripped off with a player downfield not called and then again not called on a challenge.  The expert Ref said, it is a judgment call and we don’t want to go there?  Say what, so the pass interference was not a judgment call?  Ridiculous!  

The Bengals outplayed them no matter the Refs.  It boiled down to not scoring, but I thought the Dalton Lovers said he was our savior?  Zac trusted him and he failed. 

What is the price for this word salad? Add shrimp for $5 more? 

21 hours ago, Shebengal said:

The refs didn’t necessarily cost us the game but they sure didn’t help. But it was bad on both sides, just worse on ours.

As is always the case all across the league.  Whats also the case all across the league, might you ask?  The team that makes the plays and gets in the fucking end zone usually wins.  The Bengals dont do that.  They are set to become the only team in the league that has failed to score more than two offensive touchdowns in a single game all year.  You lose when that happens, no matter the calls.  Theres a reason this team has lost seven one possession games and its not the refs.  

On 12/9/2019 at 8:14 PM, Spotto said:

The refs did not do the following:

- not run Mixon on the 1st and goal from the 2.

- crap pass protection that got AD sacked.

- not call the Bengals offensive plays.

Ok, but this thread is about the refs, not the playcalling.

5 hours ago, TigerJ@w said:

What does this idiotic comment have anything to do with anything I stated?  Your boy blows and you know it!

Your cross-country word romp made literally no sense. You rant away on the officiating (not out of order, I agree), but then interject Boy Wonder's exoneration with your usual scapegoat, the QB. 

We'll open a time capsule in around three years, and probably will see Joe Burrow's name being flogged about. 

Archived