Pats Filming the...Bengals? (ESPN)

Cincinnati Bengals coach Zac Taylor said Monday that the NFL is investigating whether the New England Patriots were videotaping in the press box Sunday's game against the Cleveland Browns.

Taylor was asked by the Bengals color commentator Dave Lapham at his news conference Monday about the alleged activities involving a Patriots employee and said, "I'm aware that there was an incident.

"But I know the league is investigating it, so I've got no comment on it."

A league source told ESPN's Adam Schefter that the incident in question involved a Patriots scout who was being filmed while working on a team feature called "Do Your Job." The video crew was credentialed by the Browns to shoot video in the press box and their PR person was aware, the source says.

An official for the Bengals, who were playing at Cleveland on Sunday, saw a member of the video crew wearing a Patriots shirt and alerted the league, which confiscated the video, according to the source.

In 2007, the Patriots were punished by the NFL for videotaping the New York Jets' defensive playcalls on the sideline during a 2007 game at Giants stadium, won by New England 38-14. The Patriots were forced to forfeit their first-round draft pick in 2008 and coach Bill Belichick was fined the maximum amount of $500,000. The Patriots also were ordered to pay $250,000 for the scandal, which was dubbed "Spygate" by the media.

The Patriots (10-3) play at the Bengals (1-12) on Sunday.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

What happens if they forfeit the game and we lose Burrows because of it after we beat Miami and the Browns, end up 4-12?

Good question,it will never happen because the league would lose to much money.if anything,the nfl is going to move as fast as they can to cover this whole up.because roger goodell has been a good friend,of robert kraft for along time.

If you're suffering through the Giants-Eagles MNF game, ESPN just reported that Adam Schefter will have a halftime report on the Patriots "getting caught" videotaping someone.

By the way, for tonight, go Giants!  I would love to have a 2 game lead with 3 to play in the race for the #1 pick, that way we can still win one without fucking ourselves.

How about airing the tapes and show everyone what they were looking at?

If the Bengals sidelines and the activity of the coaches going about their duties are even

half way visible, hammer the Patriots.  Hard.

Would love to see us be awarded a high draft choice since we were the targeted team

but I would also like to flap my arms and fly to the moon.

I mean, taping the sidelines even obscurely?  Come on.

If they wanted to tape their advanced scout for some dog and pony documentary no one would watch, why not put him in the Bengals booth?  Surely he would have been doing the same thing.

Question... have the Patriots had a camera crew filming the scout at other games and shortly before they played the opponent?

Why weren't the Bengals told a Patriot film crew would be on hand taping and from the Brown's booth, no less?  I'm sure the Bengals would have had something to say about that.  Like, "no fucking way".

I think the Brown's are partially responsible, too.

This is all pretty interesting.  Much more interesting than any game the Bengals are going to play this month.

Dianna from ESPN has a very good explanation about why the Patriots would even do this on her twitter feed.  @diannaESPN   Check it out.

At this point the Patriots have admitted they did it, but claim it wasn't for the coaching staff.  The film tells the story.  If it was a bunch of footage of the scout that were allegedly filming and a few game shots and a little bit of the Bengals sideline, I guess they are telling the truth.  If it's a whole bunch of the Bengals sideline the Patriots are full of shit.  I'm leaning to they are full of shit based upon what I've heard. 

Even if the Patriots are telling the truth it's a violation of league rules.  They should be fined.  Kind of like a speeding ticket.  It doesn't matter if you didn't mean to do it, you did it.

If the video shows extensive coverage of the Bengals sideline and their signals the Patriots should be hit hard.  Another 1st and a  big fine.  I don't see how they Bengals should get anything from this.  It never really hurt them.

Archived