Pats Filming the...Bengals? (ESPN)

The art of stealing signs in baseball, is as old as the game itself. The most recent "cheaters" were the Houston Astros from 2017, where they were caught using long-range cameras to monitor catchers' signs and then relaying it to the Astro dugout. In turn, a coach would bang on a trash can in a certain cadence, alerting the batter of the pitch. 

The first "high tech" use for sign-stealing, goes back to the 1951 NY Giants--who used some sort of buzzer system to relay pitches to the batter. 

But "old fashioned" stealing--where a runner may be on second, accurately decodes the the sign, and then signals to the at-plate batter--is not even illegal, even though the electronic use has been prohibited.      

23 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

You don't "win" anything when you cheat.   If we're playing checkers and I hit you with a 2x4, I didn't "win" at checkers - I hit you with a 2x4.  

Actually, you get a Lombardi trophy and a bigger paycheck if you win. 

6 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Pro wrestling is real

Well.. the action is real at least.  Also when they decide someone should play a heel character they don't try to ruin them for real.  Both sports are pretty melodramatic comic book-ish, but only one of them is self-aware.

Did anyone see the footage from the confrontation between the Bengals security and the Patriots film crew???  Unbelievable.  It makes the Patriots look guilty as heck and the Fox crew still defended that Belichick still could not have known.  

Here is the video footage they showed on Fox this morning:

1 hour ago, TigerCub said:

Did anyone see the footage from the confrontation between the Bengals security and the Patriots film crew???  Unbelievable.  It makes the Patriots look guilty as heck and the Fox crew still defended that Belichick still could not have known.  

Here is the video footage they showed on Fox this morning:

Very frustrating to watch this discussion. Just asinine. Their arguments boil down to this:

The Patriots have been caught doing the same thing before. Therefore, it is unlikely they would do it again.

Why didn't Vontaze Burfict get the benefit of this logic? "He was suspended last year for trying to injure an opponent, so obviously he wouldn't try to do it again!" The concept of the repeat offender is apparently illogical.

And if the people committing the infraction were sent there and (more importantly) given access and credentialed as members of the Patriots staff, the Patriots organization should be responsible as if it was Old Tugjob himself behind the camera. I don't buy this argument of immunity that they were 'from a different department,' etc. It's the Ronald Reagan defense from the Iran-Contra situation all over again.

The NFL cares most about the teams and owners that contribute to the revenue, brand and growth. The NFL cares the least for the owners that do nothing but collect checks and suck off the money nipple. 

No reason to be frustrated, Mike Brown is once again to blame. Why would the other owners of the NFL do him any favors?

3 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

The NFL cares most about the teams and owners that contribute to the revenue, brand and growth. The NFL cares the least for the owners that do nothing but collect checks and suck off the money nipple. 

No reason to be frustrated, Mike Brown is once again to blame. Why would the other owners of the NFL do him any favors?

I'm not so much concerned that the Patriots were trying to get a leg-up on the mighty Bengals in this one game, as I am that they are doing this as a standard operating procedure with all teams. This just happens to be the time they got caught.

I know nobody cares about deadbeat Mike Brown, and for good reason. But in any case, the teams most harmed by this are going to be those in direct competition with the Pats - in their division, or in competition for playoff seeds, byes, home-field advantage. Surely they should be speaking up as well.

5 minutes ago, Go Tory Go! said:

I'm not so much concerned that the Patriots were trying to get a leg-up on the mighty Bengals in this one game, as I am that they are doing this as a standard operating procedure with all teams. This just happens to be the time they got caught.

I know nobody cares about deadbeat Mike Brown, and for good reason. But in any case, the teams most harmed by this are going to be those in direct competition with the Pats - in their division, or in competition for playoff seeds, byes, home-field advantage. Surely they should be speaking up as well.

Who's to say other teams don't do the same or similar?

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/13/2019 at 3:50 PM, Le Tigre said:

The art of stealing signs in baseball, is as old as the game itself. The most recent "cheaters" were the Houston Astros from 2017, where they were caught using long-range cameras to monitor catchers' signs and then relaying it to the Astro dugout. In turn, a coach would bang on a trash can in a certain cadence, alerting the batter of the pitch. 

The first "high tech" use for sign-stealing, goes back to the 1951 NY Giants--who used some sort of buzzer system to relay pitches to the batter. 

But "old fashioned" stealing--where a runner may be on second, accurately decodes the the sign, and then signals to the at-plate batter--is not even illegal, even though the electronic use has been prohibited.      

A reprise of an earlier post. Any baseball team, anywhere, have stolen signals for as long as there has been baseball. Changing signals to counter it, is also as old—sometimes in the same at bat. 

Houston didn’t win that Series because of pilfering signals. 

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

A reprise of an earlier post. Any baseball team, anywhere, have stolen signals for as long as there has been baseball. Changing signals to counter it, is also as old—sometimes in the same at bat. 

Houston didn’t win that Series because of pilfering signals. 

Baseball players are such whinny bitches.  The "unwritten rules" nonsense is ridiculous.   The simple answer will be to have air pod like devices  in the catcher's and pitcher's ears and the pitch sent in by the coach.  Pitcher can shake it off if he wants.    It is 2020.  

Archived