Pats Filming the...Bengals? (ESPN)

Also...the pitcher actually has to make the pitch that the other side is trying to steal the signal. How many time have you seen a catcher set for low/outside, and the pitch goes inside/high? 

Reggie Jackson used to say he guessed at 75% of the pitches. He also dubbed home runs as "accidental". For such an analytic-based game these days, it still is driven by pure chance a lot of the time. 

5 hours ago, SF2 said:

Baseball players are such whinny bitches.  The "unwritten rules" nonsense is ridiculous.   The simple answer will be to have air pod like devices  in the catcher's and pitcher's ears and the pitch sent in by the coach.  Pitcher can shake it off if he wants.    It is 2020.  

Horseshit.  Stealing signs with your eyes is one thing.  Using cameras, guys in a box, and monitors in the dugout/clubhouse is another thing.  It's like calling lifting weights the same as using steroids.  Go check the Astros batting average on the road vs. at home in the World Series. 

How would you like to be a pitcher throwing a change up to a MLB hitter when he knows it's coming?  Basically batting practice with no screen.

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

Horseshit.  Stealing signs with your eyes is one thing.  Using cameras, guys in a box, and monitors in the dugout/clubhouse is another thing.  It's like calling lifting weights the same as using steroids.  Go check the Astros batting average on the road vs. at home in the World Series. 

How would you like to be a pitcher throwing a change up to a MLB hitter when he knows it's coming?  Basically batting practice with no screen.

Oh I never sad it doesn’t work, re read what I posted. I just said the players are whiners. Guys cheat all the time then get pissed off when someone else gets caught.  I offered a perfectly good solution.  

40 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Oh I never sad it doesn’t work, re read what I posted. I just said the players are whiners. Guys cheat all the time then get pissed off when someone else gets caught.  I offered a perfectly good solution.  

Catcher has a small mic and pitcher has a small earpiece. Or find another way for the catcher to connect with the pitcher. Beat the cheats at their own game

4 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Catcher has a small mic and pitcher has a small earpiece. Or find another way for the catcher to connect with the pitcher. Beat the cheats at their own game

Not a bad idea except the batter is standing right there.  Used to be able to throw at guys who "peeked" or if you thought someone was stealing signs.  Now you get a baseclearing brawl if you pitch inside.  Yeah, I guess these guys are whiners.

Still think bringing technology into the game on the sly is cheating in a big way.

:offtopic:

Maybe they were filming Andy Dalton as a potential replacement for Mr Giselle's replacement.

Anyway, I think they should forfeit their first round draft choice to us since we were the victims.  And we know there was no way they could have won that game without some insider information.  Not their first?  At least their third since they already don't have a second rounder.

6 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Not a bad idea except the batter is standing right there.  Used to be able to throw at guys who "peeked" or if you thought someone was stealing signs.  Now you get a baseclearing brawl if you pitch inside.  Yeah, I guess these guys are whiners.

Still think bringing technology into the game on the sly is cheating in a big way.

My guess is with the analytics craze in bball, more teams will be calling pitches from the dugout anyways.  The pitcher and catcher can get the pitch and pitcher can waive it off if he is worthy of such a move. 

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

My guess is with the analytics craze in bball, more teams will be calling pitches from the dugout anyways.  The pitcher and catcher can get the pitch and pitcher can waive it off if he is worthy of such a move. 

Great.  The game is hard enough to watch anymore with all the batters stepping out and pitchers doing whatever.  More managers calling pitches.  Just like  little league.  Great.  I used to love baseball and now it's a dork led game.  Just make robots that play baseball and let the stat geeks program them.  Pretty much what you see in kids growing up.  They all have the same swing and same mechanics taught to them by the local trainer.  Baseball is eating itself with greed.  The game I knew and grew up playing is dead.

48 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Great.  The game is hard enough to watch anymore with all the batters stepping out and pitchers doing whatever.  More managers calling pitches.  Just like  little league.  Great.  I used to love baseball and now it's a dork led game.  Just make robots that play baseball and let the stat geeks program them.  Pretty much what you see in kids growing up.  They all have the same swing and same mechanics taught to them by the local trainer.  Baseball is eating itself with greed.  The game I knew and grew up playing is dead.

I am with you.  With no real salary cap I know the Reds will have to find lightning in a bottle to win a playoff series in today's game.   For every Votto who stays at a small market team there are 20 guys itching to leave.    

And yet the constantly talent-come-talent-go Tampa Bay Rays are always somewhere near the top. Minnesota is another one. It takes a great organization to find them and managers to manage them at each level. The Reds simply haven't had that for seems like eons.   

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

And yet the constantly talent-come-talent-go Tampa Bay Rays are always somewhere near the top. Minnesota is another one. It takes a great organization to find them and managers to manage them at each level. The Reds simply haven't had that for seems like eons.   

The Twins have won 1 playoff series and  6 playoff games in 27 years. 

Tampa Bay did have a nice 2008 losing in the World Series 4-1.   4 other times they made the post season they lost in the divisional series.   Still, far better than the Reds.

They have found a way to squeak into the post season but only the Rays actually did anything one time usually they get knocked out early.   Kind of like the Bengals 5 playoffs in a row battle cry.

I'm not sold on the salary cap structure in the NFL as an improvement over MLB.  They still find a way to favor the teams that make more money.  I think I'd rather that be out in the open witb higher salaries than the underhanded slimy shit they do instead.  They just end up subsidizing the shitty low-earning teams so the big boys have a punching bag.

17 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I'm not sold on the salary cap structure in the NFL as an improvement over MLB.  They still find a way to favor the teams that make more money.  I think I'd rather that be out in the open witb higher salaries than the underhanded slimy shit they do instead.  They just end up subsidizing the shitty low-earning teams so the big boys have a punching bag.

Really?  Dallas and Washington have sucked for 20 years while Green Bay, Pittsburgh and New Orleans have been solid during the same period.  

7 hours ago, SF2 said:

Green Bay, Pittsburgh and New Orleans

Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, Drew Brees....what else needs to be said?

Exactly why you don't pass on the chance at a potential franchise QB when the opportunity presents itself. 

27 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, Drew Brees....

Pick #24,  #11, and first pick of round 2, respectively.

Fodder for those saying we couldn't get a QB next year because we're not guaranteed to have the first pick again.

13 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Pick #24,  #11, and first pick of round 2, respectively.

Fodder for those saying we couldn't get a QB next year because we're not guaranteed to have the first pick again.

and if you think you have a shot at at getting a QB than can be what those 3 are, you absolutely take him #1 overall...no questions asked. 

6 hours ago, spicoli said:

and if you think you have a shot at at getting a QB than can be what those 3 are, you absolutely take him #1 overall...no questions asked. 

Man.. Way to gloss over the fact that none of the best QB's playing right now were first overall picks.   Of course finding that QB is probably a lot more likely with a scouting department.   Here we kind of need them to fall into our laps.  

7 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Man.. Way to gloss over the fact that none of the best QB's playing right now were first overall picks.   Of course finding that QB is probably a lot more likely with a scouting department.   Here we kind of need them to fall into our laps.  

There have been 14 QBs chose #1 since 2000.  Only David Carr and JaMarcus Russell would be considered busts.   Bradford was good but couldn't stay healthy.  Rest of them were pretty good but only Eli Manning ever won a Super Bowl.   You are not incorrect, a good scouting department would have prevented the drafting of a few of these guys up top in particular Russell whose work ethic and eating habits were issues AT LSU.  

That said, if you can tell us which one of these guys  is the next Mahomes, Rodgers, the Rapist, Brees, or Wilson it would be appreciated.  There are a lot of mid 1st round to late 2nd round QBs chosen that did almost nothing in this league.

11 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I don't understand why you are so skeptical about drafting Joe Burrow

and seem to be into trading down.

Its like if you have a chance to take the hottest girl in school to the prom

and she's willing to go with you,  you blow her off for 3rd best or lower.

It isn't like this opportunity is going to roll around with us needing a quarterback

and a great looking one right there for the picking and a local product to boot.

3 hours ago, High School Harry said:

I don't understand why you are so skeptical about drafting Joe Burrow

and seem to be into trading down.

Its like if you have a chance to take the hottest girl in school to the prom

and she's willing to go with you,  you blow her off for 3rd best or lower.

It isn't like this opportunity is going to roll around with us needing a quarterback

and a great looking one right there for the picking and a local product to boot.

Man that's a terrible analogy but I think that's exactly how the Bengals FO sees it too, unfortunately.

It's more like we need to hire a team of movers and are focused on which one has the nicest hair.

6 minutes ago, Passepartout said:

Not the first team they had filmed nor will they be the last unfortunately.

Oh no doubt, when you consistently get caught cheating it's obviously the "Patriot Way".   Seems most fans don't really care, they just want to see The Undertaker throw Mankind off Hell In A Cell and plummet 16 ft through an announcer's table.

Archived