Why I think next year will be different

I think this offense is much better next year. Here is why. 

1. Another year in the system and more experience for Taylor

2 Taylor is a culture builder. I hope he gives up playcalling to a mix of Brian Callahan and 

3. I expect Bill Callahan here next year (but Jim Turner to stay). Likely the Redskins RBs coach and possibly the Falcons QBs coach. All much needed veterans on a young staff. 

4. Jonah Williams and AJ Green Back.

5. Joe Burrow

6. Brandon Scherff. We don't typically sign vets but if we ever were to break the bank a lineman on a team with a new QB, who just played for Bill Callahan for years might make sense. 

7. Its a deep tackle draft and we can get a RT in round 2. 

8. I have talked myself into Whitworth coming back and playing LG. Or Glenn figuring things out. 

This offense wins games

QB Burrow Moore Dolegala 22 Finley 23     2
RB Mixon 21 Bernard 22 Williams 23 Anderson 23 Perine 21 UDFA 5
FB              
WR Green 20 Tate 21 Willis 20 UDFA Bohringer 21   2
WR Boyd 24 Erickson 21   UDFA Thompson   2
WR Ross 21 Morgan 22 UDFA Irwin     2
TE Uzomah 22 Eifert 20 Sample 23 Carter 20 Franks 20 Schrek 21 4
LT Williams 24 Johnson 22 Dugas 22       3
LG Glenn 21/Whitworth Jordan 23 UDFA       2
C Hopkins 20 Price 23 UDFA       1
RG Scherff Miller 22 Redmond 20 UDFA     2
RT Rd 2 Hart 22 Miller       2

Defensively.

Add 

1. James Bettcher as LBs coach if the Giants staff is out. He coached with Anarumo in 2018. 

2. Sign Nick Kwiatkoski-PFF 74.3 coverage ranking and Josh Bynes-PFF 71.8 coverage ranking

LE Dunlap 22 Mayowa Brown 21 Bellamy    
LT Atkins 23 Glasgow 21 Scott 20 UDFA    
RT Billings 20 Tupou 20 Wren 23 UDFA    
RE Hubbard 22 Lawson 21 Zettel 20 Akinmoladun    
SLB Bynes   UDFA      
MLB Kwiatkoski   Nickerson 20 Shelton    
WLB Pratt 23 Evans 21 UDFA UDFA    
S Williams 21 Ishmael Henderson 21      
S Bates 22 Wilson 20 UDFA UDFA    
CB Jackson 21 Phillips 22 Mabin 20 UDFA    
CB Webb 22   McTyer 20 UDFA    
CB Dennard 20 McRae 20 UDFA      

12 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

2 Taylor is a culture builder. I hope he gives up playcalling to a mix of Brian Callahan and 

3. I expect Bill Callahan here next year (but Jim Turner to stay). Likely the Redskins RBs coach and possibly the Falcons QBs coach. All much needed veterans on a young staff. 

5. Joe Burrow

6. Brandon Scherff. We don't typically sign vets but if we ever were to break the bank a lineman on a team with a new QB, who just played for Bill Callahan for years might make sense. 

8. I have talked myself into Whitworth coming back and playing LG. Or Glenn figuring things out. 

This offense wins games

FB              

First of all how is keeping Cordy Glenn is "building culture"?  The guy wants out and is simply auditioning right now.

Second, why do you think AJ Green is staying and why do you think he will be close to the "Old" AJ Green?   He has 1 pass  reception in almost 14 months.   He doesn't seem to want to play right now according to Lapham.   He could simply end up like Dez Bryant,  lose a step in this league and you become very average unless you reinvent yourself like Boldin did.   Does he really want to play for a rookie QB?  Even if he 100% he isn't Fitzgerald, he has no real NFL legacy other than catching a lot of passes similar to Chad so maybe he wants to go somewhere else.  Tagging him and drafting Burrow seems like an ill fit to be honest and with Andy probably leaving..., Guy is from Carolina so there are plenty of teams down South that would love him. 

Third, our defense is still pretty bad and getting older by the day.  Average age over 27 1/2 right now.   We won't win a lot of games until they fix that side too. 

Sure, we could be quite a bit better next year but we are starting from rock bottom so really only one way to go. 

If they grab Burrow you gotta imagine AJ is gonna wanna be part of that excitement if he's still here. But what the fuck do I know.

They don't do much if they don't fix the damn line, pronto.. and good luck with that.  They've never appeared very committed to making slam dunk needed changes. Why would they now?

3 minutes ago, BENGALS666 said:

If they grab Burrow you gotta imagine AJ is gonna wanna be part of that excitement if he's still here. But what the fuck do I know.

They don't do much if they don't fix the damn line, pronto.. and good luck with that.  They've never appeared very committed to making slam dunk needed changes. Why would they now?

Or he can be part of the excitement of being an original Las Vegas Raider.  There are better options at his age than a rebuild. 

41 minutes ago, SF2 said:

First of all how is keeping Cordy Glenn is "building culture"?  The guy wants out and is simply auditioning right now.

Second, why do you think AJ Green is staying and why do you think he will be close to the "Old" AJ Green?   He has 1 pass  reception in almost 14 months.   He doesn't seem to want to play right now according to Lapham.   He could simply end up like Dez Bryant,  lose a step in this league and you become very average unless you reinvent yourself like Boldin did.   Does he really want to play for a rookie QB?  Even if he 100% he isn't Fitzgerald, he has no real NFL legacy other than catching a lot of passes similar to Chad so maybe he wants to go somewhere else.  Tagging him and drafting Burrow seems like an ill fit to be honest and with Andy probably leaving..., Guy is from Carolina so there are plenty of teams down South that would love him. 

Third, our defense is still pretty bad and getting older by the day.  Average age over 27 1/2 right now.   We won't win a lot of games until they fix that side too. 

Sure, we could be quite a bit better next year but we are starting from rock bottom so really only one way to go. 

I agree. And I know I over stated this before but Zac Taylor will not be able to change the culture just by talking, the players will know the Inbreds won't make the full blown changes needed to change to a winning culture. 

And if we continue on the 'draft and develop' only philosophy we are doomed to fail. We simply cannot get enough good players that way to replace what we lose let alone replace gaping holes. 

As a last point, this coaching staff is bad, there would need to be a lot of change with that as well. And Mikey LOVES change.

I expect AJ to be tagged but wouldn't be surprised if he held out and didn't sign his tag.

The Bengals need to make fundamental changes to the way they operate if they don't want to lose double digit games each year. But biggest change required is for MB to withdraw from any football related decision making. He won't. 

That's why eminent domain makes sense and I'm surprised no Cincinnati politicians are pushing it.

I really want to stay positive about Taylor, hey we're competitive with a lot of crappy players.  That's gotta be some part attributed to culture.

Play calling on the other hand concerns me; happy to put it down as rookie errors this year but I hope he get's it right next year, either by self improvement or delegation.

Not high. I live in Columbus where our local baseball team is owned by the county. At the time PBS was built, it cost more than the team was worth. I'd think there would be enough people fed up with the losing and the way the Brown family runs the team that public ownership, ala Green Bay would be popular. Especially if it was financially profitable, as the Columbus Clippers are.

3 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Not high. I live in Columbus where our local baseball team is owned by the county. At the time PBS was built, it cost more than the team was worth. I'd think there would be enough people fed up with the losing and the way the Brown family runs the team that public ownership, ala Green Bay would be popular. Especially if it was financially profitable, as the Columbus Clippers are.

You are comparing the local baseball team to an NFL franchise?  Ok 

21 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

5. Joe Burrow

This offense wins games

FB              

I'd like to believe but I am having serious misgivings with the known quantity that is the Offensive Line.  Add the injured rookie lineman into the mix and I still don't have much confidence in another rookie making it out alive.  Whoever the QB will be should ensure he takes out additional health/life insurance...

Nice work on the chart.

textgram_1576027792~2.jpg

54 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

As a fellow local, I share the admiration of the Clipper organization. For a AAA franchise, they have made the experience quite enjoyable. Stadium is top-notch, amenities abundant, well-presented. In many ways, better than a lot of major league teams. The county had a lot of pull in this, of course; however the parent club has at least as much. When the Nationals were the the parent club, it was nowhere close to today's product.

i have gone ahead and purchased season passes for the Crew. Not so much for the present, but I really want to be the first in for the new stadium. Between the all-in by the City/County, and the Haslam dollars, this is going to be a very exciting adventure.

11 hours ago, SF2 said:

1. I have no idea what is in Cordy Glenn's mind. I think him playing at all is an odd sign. I certainly wouldn't bet on him staying. 

2. I can all but guarantee AJ Green stays. Dehner has said that the plan is to Franchise him at the very least if we can't get anything done. 

3. Defense has been solid since we cut Preston Brown.

4. I think that if we do thee things we get far better very quickly. I don't actually believe we are smart enough to do these things. 

10 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I agree. And I know I over stated this before but Zac Taylor will not be able to change the culture just by talking, the players will know the Inbreds won't make the full blown changes needed to change to a winning culture. 

And if we continue on the 'draft and develop' only philosophy we are doomed to fail. We simply cannot get enough good players that way to replace what we lose let alone replace gaping holes. 

As a last point, this coaching staff is bad, there would need to be a lot of change with that as well. And Mikey LOVES change.

Dehner believes little to no coaching changes. 

7 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

If the plan was to let him walk they would have been more serious about it at the trade deadline. 

Maybe, but I think they expected him to be playing by now. Lack of recovery has to be a concern. 

9 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

1. I have no idea what is in Cordy Glenn's mind. I think him playing at all is an odd sign. I certainly wouldn't bet on him staying. 

2. I can all but guarantee AJ Green stays. Dehner has said that the plan is to Franchise him at the very least if we can't get anything done. 

3. Defense has been solid since we cut Preston Brown.

4. I think that if we do thee things we get far better very quickly. I don't actually believe we are smart enough to do these things. 

I tend to agree.  This team has lost 7 one possession games.  They shoot themselves in the foot ALOT, especially by not scoring points (kind of the point of the entire game).   Burrow will have his growing pains to be sure, but i have to believe (if i want to continue being a fan of this team) that he makes better decisions and more plays than Dalton has this year, or any year in the past, to win games.  The defense has definitely turned a corner the past month and most certainly played well enough to win this past week.  What will really put this team over the top is if they are committed to getting another lineman and linebacker (atleast 2nd tier) in free agency.  Couple that with a solid draft, things could change quickly.  And, oh yeah, AJ isnt going anywhere.  He will be franchise tagged at the very least.  Im not saying he will have to honor that, but speaking in terms of next year, he will be a member of the Cincinnati Bengals organization.  

Archived