Why I think next year will be different

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

No, the eminent domain action would be against the shares of the team, not the stadium. It's already publicly owned. The shares are owned by the Brown family or a trust.

Incidentally, if the city did take over the team, Mike Brown would still be the president and GM, etc. Until he was fired.

Eminent Domain applies to property, I have no idea why you think shares would be able to be 

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Eminent Domain applies to property, I have no idea why you think shares would be able to be 

Because shares are property. While the most common use of eminent domain is to take real estate, it's not the only type of property. Other cities have tried to take sports teams without success. After the Browns moved to Baltimore, the Ohio General Assembly passed the Modell law making clear that sports teams can be taken, provided fair compensation is paid.

Frankly, I'm surprised anyone here would argue that taking the team is against the law. It clearly isn't. 

The next obvious objection would be along the lines of "If it can be done, why hasn't someplace else already done it"?  The answer would be that it requires laws permitting it and financing that most cities couldn't arrange in short order. The Colts and Raiders were able to get away while their cities dithered. That's why the Modell law is handy, it makes the legal situation clearer and requires notice before moving for publicly supported teams.

The real reason is that most team owners don't piss off their customers and local citizens to the extent the Brown family has. To buy the team and keep it publicly owned would cost a billion dollars or more. There won't be a billion dollars in spending cuts so it would require a tax increase. Inevitably that would be put to a public vote. 

The alternative would be to find someone who wants to buy the team after the county takes it. That wouldn't require any outlay of funds by the county but would require NFL approval for the new owner.

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Because shares are property. While the most common use of eminent domain is to take real estate, it's not the only type of property. Other cities have tried to take sports teams without success. After the Browns moved to Baltimore, the Ohio General Assembly passed the Modell law making clear that sports teams can be taken, provided fair compensation is paid.

Frankly, I'm surprised anyone here would argue that taking the team is against the law. It clearly isn't. 

The next obvious objection would be along the lines of "If it can be done, why hasn't someplace else already done it"?  The answer would be that it requires laws permitting it and financing that most cities couldn't arrange in short order. The Colts and Raiders were able to get away while their cities dithered. That's why the Modell law is handy, it makes the legal situation clearer and requires notice before moving for publicly supported teams.

The real reason is that most team owners don't piss off their customers and local citizens to the extent the Brown family has. To buy the team and keep it publicly owned would cost a billion dollars or more. There won't be a billion dollars in spending cuts so it would require a tax increase. Inevitably that would be put to a public vote. 

The alternative would be to find someone who wants to buy the team after the county takes it. That wouldn't require any outlay of funds by the county but would require NFL approval for the new owner.

Yeah good luck with that.

Article in the Athletic today about the change in the running game. Short version is ZT tried to push the Rams system in but after being 0-7 they 'suddenly' realized that not only was the OL not talented enough to play that style and win one on one battles but that Mixon's running style was not the same as Gurley's. So they had to start from scrtah and pick up a system Turner used in this past "pull and pick' (guards pulling) as well as Van Pelt had them use pitch outs to Mixon like they did in GB with Eddie Lacy.

So - good that they adapted, very bad that they did not see just from 2018 film that the Rams system would never work. Bad use of personnel in my mind. 

38 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Great progress. At that rate, it will only take 7 seasons to get to .500

Great, at that rate it will make at least 44 years since I have seen the Bengals win a playoff game.  I haven't seen the Bengals win a playoff game since Jan of 1982. I was on the East German Border in 1988 and the only game we were able to watch at the Border camp via satellite was the Super Bowl. Game started at 10 or 11pm local.  I was in Iraq in Jan of 1991 so I missed that victory and all of the playoff games that year as well.

8 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Looking at CFL players is a wise move.  Paul Brown, for those who remember him as a Bengals coach, drafted one of my all time and most overlooked and underrated Bengals of all time, ORT Mike Wilson, even though he had signed with the CFL.  Waited a year or so until he left there and we had his rights, plugged him in at ORT bookending with Anthony Munoz for a decade.

The kickers are interesting, too.  Especially with this practice squad signing that flew under the board radar.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/12/16/21025149/bengals-kaare-vedvik-practice-squad

Kid is a kicker/punter ala Lee Johnson who punted, kicked off and attempted long field goals far out of Jim Breech's range.

This may be Randy's last stand or at least he will have some serious competition.  

So even now the Bengals are looking to improve next year.

Waived DL Zettle and brought up a fringe LB, Brady Shekton, from the practice squad for a look-see.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/12/17/21026643/bengals-sign-brady-sheldon-and-waive-anthony-zettel

Why do Bengal fans think next year will be different?

Its like the old story of the little boy enthusiastically digging through a mountain

of horse shit.

When asked why, he replied "With all this horse shit there has to be a pony in

here somewhere."

Bengal fans are that little boy.

Digging through a mountain of horse shit.

Believing there is a pony in there someplace.

If we draft Burrow but keep Dalton around, Burrow might sit most or all of the year, ala Carson. In which case we aren't like to be much better than this year. Or if we throw Burrow into the fire, it's possible he carries the rest of the team. But it's also possible we finish with the top pick again and wish we took Young this year so we could take Lawrence for 2021.

15 hours ago, sparky151 said:

If we draft Burrow but keep Dalton around, Burrow might sit most or all of the year, ala Carson. In which case we aren't like to be much better than this year. Or if we throw Burrow into the fire, it's possible he carries the rest of the team. But it's also possible we finish with the top pick again and wish we took Young this year so we could take Lawrence for 2021.

Also possible we take Tuba this year with the 3rd pick and Lawrence next.

Seriously...  if we do draft third and miss Burrow and/or Young, I see us trading down and very possibly taking Tua somewhere, somehow.

Yeah, also someone like LB Simmons who is not worth the third pick in the draft or the big huggy bear OT, too.  But I do think Tua would

be someone the Bengals would risk taking.

Why?

Because we're Bengals, son.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Also possible we take Tuba this year with the 3rd pick and Lawrence next.

Seriously...  if we do draft third and miss Burrow and/or Young, I see us trading down and very possibly taking Tua somewhere, somehow.

Yeah, also someone like LB Simmons who is not worth the third pick in the draft or the big huggy bear OT, too.  But I do think Tua would

be someone the Bengals would risk taking.

Why?

Because we're Bengals, son.

What team would want to trade up for the third pick?

Archived