Jonah Williams cleared to practice

30 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Can he just practice on not be put on the roster? No use risking further injury but practice would be good for him. Then Hobs can tell us how good he looks

that's called the practice squad...and no

they can practice him and not dress him on game days though.

4 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Hopefully we get to see him in at least one game so we can get even a breadcrumb of an idea of what we have.

Does it matter?  He's going to be the starting LT next year unless he's hurt or in jail.  If he's not good enough to play at this level the team will be the last ones to admit it & then at least one full season after everyone else in the free world has figured it out.

7 hours ago, fluhartz said:

that's called the practice squad...and no

they can practice him and not dress him on game days though.

I don't believe that this is entirely accurate.  According to SI.com and cincyjungle.com, the team has 3 weeks once the player participates in practice to activate a player.  Then, they have to be placed on the roster or kept on the PUP list.  So, yes, he can practice for the next 21 days before having to put him on the roster.  Then he can be returned to the PUP list or not dress for any remaining games.  By definition, he would have to practice this week, then they would have to activate him to the 53 man roster just prior to the final game with the Browns or returned to the PUP list.  If he does not practice this week, then he can practice the final 3 weeks and not have to be placed on the roster for the final 3 weeks. They can, however, activate him any time during that 21 days.  I have not seen anywhere where they have already activated him to the 53 man roster or where he has actually practiced yet, just cleared him to practice.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/8/31/17797904/explaining-pup-nfi-ir-other-injury-nfl-roster-designations-cuts-53-man-roster

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/07/26/pup-list-explained-rules-players-nfl-injured-reserve

I don't want to see him on the field this year.  He could help win a game or two vs the Fish or Brownosers and screw up our draft.

Let him practice, activate him to the squad and let him be on the inactive list for games, back to PUP or even IR.

But I don't want to see him on the field risking further injury in the cold weather or, heaven forbid, helping us win a couple.

Same for AJ.  See ya' next year if you're here and not in New England.

12 hours ago, High School Harry said:

But I don't want to see him on the field risking further injury

So instead we do the Bengal thing; coddle him all the way through camp so he doesn't get hurt until Week 2 when the roster is set, and of course we have a whole lot of nothing to back him up.  Yep, sounds about right.

Again I ask; if we truly think a guy is going to inevitably get hurt the first time he steps on the field, why is he on our roster in the first place? 

14 hours ago, T-Dub said:

So instead we do the Bengal thing; coddle him all the way through camp so he doesn't get hurt until Week 2 when the roster is set, and of course we have a whole lot of nothing to back him up.  Yep, sounds about right.

Again I ask; if we truly think a guy is going to inevitably get hurt the first time he steps on the field, why is he on our roster in the first place? 

12 hours ago, stryker57 said:

dont play scared or timid if he is healthy play him. even 1 real game will make him more prepared then playing him the whole preseason next year, 

OK, let me edit that opinion.

I don't want to see A.J. or Jonah on the field until we lock the first or second pick

in the draft.

I don't want to see them contribute to a couple useless wins that cost us

Athens O Joe or Ohio State Chase.

Neither are playing against the Quinton Tarintino Patriots.

So also rooting for the Gats to beat the Hairy Blow Holes.

I just saw that Chase may not enter the draft next year.   

So, the typical Bengal scenario will be to win a couple of games and lose the first pick.  Someone trades with Giants for the first pick and takes Burrows, Chase is not opting to enter the draft...and the Bengals then select ??????

Edit:  Yes, I see now that this was mentioned in another thread.

Carry on...

12 hours ago, High School Harry said:

OK, let me edit that opinion.

I don't want to see A.J. or Jonah on the field until we lock the first or second pick

in the draft.

I don't want to see them contribute to a couple useless wins that cost us

Athens O Joe or Ohio State Chase.

You already know I want to trade down, but if not I hope we take the QB.  Otherwise I'd rather roll with Dunlap & something like 4-5 picks in the first 2 rounds out of a trade, even if some of those are in next year's draft.  D line's one of the few spots where we're ok.  Drafting Young would be like putting platinum spinners on the Lumina.

47 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

You already know I want to trade down, but if not I hope we take the QB.  Otherwise I'd rather roll with Dunlap & something like 4-5 picks in the first 2 rounds out of a trade, even if some of those are in next year's draft.  D line's one of the few spots where we're ok.  Drafting Young would be like putting platinum spinners on the Lumina.

spacer.png

Archived