Bad Drafts

8 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Kelly Gregg played quite a few years in the NFL--just not here. Had over 20 career sacks--as a fire hydrant NT for the Rats.  

1999: Yeah, Gregg was a good and dependable player for a long time in the league just not for us.  Funny that LeBeau and company didn't see anything and slid  Gregg over to the practice squad.  Eventually Rex Ryan picked him up for the Rats practice squad having coached him at Oklahoma.  The rest is history as they say.   Gregg missed 2 games in his next 9 years and led all interior linemen in tackles during that time frame.  One of those guys you pencil in and don't worry about. 

The only player that really did anything for the Bengals was Hall and he wasn't very good at it.  Basically, 1 guy who gave the team some decent snaps sorta.

2015:  Man, that is a brutally awful draft.  A couple of blocking tight ends and nothing else.  Ogbuehi is a marginal backup in Jacksonville, did NOTHING for the Bengals and is probably playing his last year.  Shaw is banned.  So after 4 years CJ is really the only full time player left and was a 5th rounder.   Maybe Kroft gets more PT as he get healthier but he isn't here so who cares.

I will probably have to go with 1999 because  Akille, under the old salary arrangement killed the team for 4 years.  Those old rookie contracts could fuck a team for years.   Pretty much 2 terrible drafts but those old rookie deals made it so much worse. 

2 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I will probably have to go with 1999 because  Akille, under the old salary arraignment killed the team for 4 years.  Those old rookie contracts could fuck a team for years.   Pretty much 2 terrible drafts but those old rookie deals made it so much worse. 

When you take into account what Ditka (allegedly) offered for the draft slot, I think you have to go with 1999.

6 hours ago, SmoothD said:

Agree 100%

My daughter had a boyfriend who was being scouted by numerous NFL teams (Packers, Rams, Raiders and Giants).

Some of those guys came to my wife and I asking questions about how was he, how did he treat my daughter, what are his habits and such.

He is currently has a successful career playing in the CFL. 

La'el Collins backstory was so bad he wasn't drafted.   Dallas picked him up and someone obviously had a talk with the guy because he has become a pretty good player.   Alexander dropped to the 4th round but has certainly played way above his draft slot since.  Of course the first year PED suspension was probably a WTF are you doing moment for him. 

6 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

When you take into account what Ditka (allegedly) offered for the draft slot, I think you have to go with 1999.

LOL, yeah that would be the icing,  cherry and Bentley on top of the cake.  Just a horrific way to end the millennia.

6 hours ago, SF2 said:

La'el Collins backstory was so bad he wasn't drafted.   Dallas picked him up and someone obviously had a talk with the guy because he has become a pretty good player.   Alexander dropped to the 4th round but has certainly played way above his draft slot since.  Of course the first year PED suspension was probably a WTF are you doing moment for him. 

Oh man, La'el Collins.

Everyone missed on him because of some BS.

True story.

I actually met him at a Chic-Fil-A here in Houston.

A buddy of mine and I were having lunch and noticed him.

Dude was massive.

We spoke for a bit.

Seem like a very nice dude.

Kinda quiet, and very respectful

Did I mention he was massive?

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

He got screwed by timing. Some girl he'd once dated was murdered a week before the draft. Then the first day, word comes out the police are talking to Collins about it. Teams shied away from him even though he had nothing to do with it. 

Shit adds up. Coach tell all the scouts you are selfish and lazy and then that happened.  Worked out in the end. 

Archived