The Bengals vs James Bond Patriots Game Thread / Good, Bad, and Ugly Evaluation...

6 hours ago, Bleeds Orange said:

It's rare that I go to a Bengals game, but two lower-bowl tickets fell into my lap this week and I couldn't pass them up.  Was shocked at how many Patriots bandwagoners were there.  It looked to me like it was 75-80% their fans, or is my perception off?  Hell, it felt like 90%, but I'm trying to be conservative/reasonable.  Has it ever been this way before? Pittsburgh game, maybe? 

Oh, and there's no way every one of those bastards are from Boston or have any connections to anyone in Boston.

Chances are, very few if any, had actually made the trip from NE. Over the many years in stadium, it has been my hobby to query other teams' "fans" about where they are from. Even with Pittsburgh, the vast majority of the sample size is local. With them, NE, Dallas, SF, OAK, etc; it shows the power influence of TV/media...the locals became "fans" watching them on the box. 

You can find some who are transplants from the opponents' cities--that is why SoCal and PHX have a lot of foreign "fans" in attendance. I confess the few times I attend Columbus Blue Jackets games, are when the Flyers are in town--I grew up in south Jersey. 

This issue of "fans" isn't new--even in the Riverfront years, there were good sized pockets of them. It sort of is exacerbated more recently because there are much fewer Bengal supporters attending.

39 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Chances are, very few if any, had actually made the trip from NE. Over the many years in stadium, it has been my hobby to query other teams' "fans" about where they are from. Even with Pittsburgh, the vast majority of the sample size is local. With them, NE, Dallas, SF, OAK, etc; it shows the power influence of TV/media...the locals became "fans" watching them on the box. 

You can find some who are transplants from the opponents' cities--that is why SoCal and PHX have a lot of foreign "fans" in attendance. I confess the few times I attend Columbus Blue Jackets games, are when the Flyers are in town--I grew up in south Jersey. 

This issue of "fans" isn't new--even in the Riverfront years, there were good sized pockets of them. It sort of is exacerbated more recently because there are much fewer Bengal supporters attending.

The cold hard reality is nobody under the age of 37 remembers the Bengals doing anything in the playoffs other than lose in convincing fashion or by sheer stupidity.  They are not bandwagon fans, the Bengals simply never did anything to earn their or their parents support. 

Add in social media and streaming options and the locals can watch whomever they want. My daughter likes the Cowboys because she was at OSU when Elliot was there. She also likes Gardner Minshew. She has no reason to like the Bengals. Cedric Ogbuehi,  Billy Price, John Ross and Jonah Williams doesn’t move the needle an inch and Dalton and Green have been AWOL for 4 years.

Sons are all Saints fans having been to a couple of games and having a lot of family in New Orleans.  The first Bengals game I took them to was the legendary San Diego fiasco game where the Bengals blew like a 24 or 8 point lead. Went downhill from there. 

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

The cold hard reality is nobody under the age of 37 remembers the Bengals doing anything in the playoffs other than lose in convincing fashion or by sheer stupidity.  They are not bandwagon fans, the Bengals simply never did anything to earn their or their parents support. 

Add in social media and streaming options and the locals can watch whomever they want. My daughter likes the Cowboys because she was at OSU when Elliot was there. She also likes Gardner Minshew. She has no reason to like the Bengals. Cedric Ogbuehi,  Billy Price, John Ross and Jonah Williams doesn’t move the needle an inch and Dalton and Green have been AWOL for 4 years.

Sons are all Saints fans having been to a couple of games and having a lot of family in New Orleans.  The first Bengals game I took them to was the legendary San Diego fiasco game where the Bengals blew like a 24 or 8 point lead. Went downhill from there. 

Then what are they? If loyalty/fandom comes from watching a box or whoever is the coolest dude at THE, then point made.

The Bengals never moved the national needle even in the few "good years". If you ask those same sub-37's to name any Bengal player from any time, they might only recognize Elbert because he did silly commercials. Points well taken though.     

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Then what are they? If loyalty/fandom comes from watching a box or whoever is the coolest dude at THE, then point made.

The Bengals never moved the national needle even in the few "good years". If you ask those same sub-37's to name any Bengal player from any time, they might only recognize Elbert because he did silly commercials. Points well taken though.     

They are Never Fans. They have never had a reason to become fans.  Ex.  My 21 year old son has no recollection of the team ever being very good and his only playoff experiences have been futile.  He doesn’t care about 1988 just like my dad’s Jonny Unitas / Baltimore Colts stories were meaningless to me. 

I am a Reds fan (still but barely) because I grew up with the Big Red machine.   If I had moved to Ohio in 1984 instead of 1974 I doubt I would be much of a fan.  

You are right about naming a player.  Seriously, why would any young possible fan want to see Andy Dalton throw passes to a bunch of no-name receivers while AJ Green watches from the sideline?  A boring offense with a pretty bad defense isn’t going to build loyalty. 

I am a bit confused today about how some talking heads are acting like Brady and the New England offense got healthy against the Bengals yesterday.  Brady was 15-29 for 128 yards.   That is 4.4 yards per pass attempt.   That is horrible.    Mixon averaged 5.44 yards per RUSHING attempt  and Mixon had 7 more yards at 136.   

Maybe the 5 Bengal turnovers had more to do with the Patriots win than Peyton Manning,..errr Tom Brady's heroics. 

Dalton looks to me like he no longer gives a fuck.  Throwing it up for grabs, the general body language..  Almost like he's a dependable enough starting QB that got benched for no good reason then told to go play again like nothing happened.   You don't treat people like that then expect them to perform for you.  To be clear I think the team should've probably moved on from Dalton a couple of years ago but for a franchise with a reputation for being backwards & inept it's not a good look.  This FO will defend a guy spitting at a hapless prison nurse then turn around & treat their franchise players like they're disposable.  So sick of them acting like they're this saintly charity organization to cover up the fact they're just happy sucking NFL hind teat and can't be bothered to build a real team.

My impression is the opposite: he is trying way too hard to "make something happen" when certain plays are called. Weird-assed play calling has been a problem for both he and yearling Finley. 

He'll be fine, once he leaves this ramshackle franchise in his rear view mirror. Then Super Joe can deal with Boy Wonder's 4th and goal QB draws. 

Interesting comments about the stadium takeover.  I guess the only thing I'd seen similar was Braves fans at Riverfront in the 90s, but it was nothing near what I saw on Sunday.

Regarding fandom, to avoid being a bandwagon fan, you should either live in the area of the team or have became a fan before they went to the Super Bowl (an arbitrary litmus test, I know).  If you are not from that city/area and only became a fan after the team became a Super Bowl team, that's textbook bandwagon. I guess you could also be bandwagon and be from that city, but it's easier to give a pass to people who actually live there.  At least there's a geographic/social connection.

If what I'm hearing is true, nearly none of those wearing Patriots stuff Sunday are from the New England area, and I'll guaran-damn-tee nearly none of them were fans pre-Brady.  

11 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Tom Brady gave Joe Mixon a game jersey.

Bill Belichick said Mixon is the best running back in the NFL.

New England Patriots award a game ball to Andy Dalton.

Yay, we can evaluate running backs.  Now all we need to do is figure out how to evaluate all the other positions...

20 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Tom Brady gave Joe Mixon a game jersey.

Bill Belichick said Mixon is the best running back in the NFL.

New England Patriots award a game ball to Andy Dalton.

Joe Mixon is very good.  He still gives a damn too.  I feel bad for him.

19 hours ago, Bleeds Orange said:

Interesting comments about the stadium takeover.  I guess the only thing I'd seen similar was Braves fans at Riverfront in the 90s, but it was nothing near what I saw on Sunday.

Regarding fandom, to avoid being a bandwagon fan, you should either live in the area of the team or have became a fan before they went to the Super Bowl (an arbitrary litmus test, I know).  If you are not from that city/area and only became a fan after the team became a Super Bowl team, that's textbook bandwagon. I guess you could also be bandwagon and be from that city, but it's easier to give a pass to people who actually live there.  At least there's a geographic/social connection.

If what I'm hearing is true, nearly none of those wearing Patriots stuff Sunday are from the New England area, and I'll guaran-damn-tee nearly none of them were fans pre-Brady.  

You just described my youngest son who is a Tom Brady loving douche bag.  At least my older son only likes the Saints.  Every time he says GOAT, we punch him in the arm. 

15 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

And now there is talk he will hold out next year for a new contract. What he should hold out for is better OL.

I can’t blame any good RB that holds out.  They don’t last nearly as long as other positions and are way more likely to get that career ending or limiting injury. 

Archived