Decisions the Bengals need to make the next few months

What to do with Pick 1? 

Chronologically this is not the first decision they need to make, but it has an impact on the other decisions they will need to make.  The obvious choice is to take Burrow and begin rebuilding around him.  But Chase Young is the best player in the draft.  Is there a QB worth taking later?  Do you "try" to get a top 2 pick next year?  Or do you trade down with Miami and take Tua or Herbert and an OL or LB with another 1st round pick?

What to do with Dalton?

If they take Chase Young, or a later QB, Dalton has to stay. Unless they decide to tank next year for Lawrence or Fields. Assuming the draft Burrow, Dalton goes on the trade market.  What is he worth?  I don't see us getting more than a 3 for him, but that 3 could be a guard or LB that could make the team better, or contribute to trading up.

What to do with AJ Green?

If you tag him he may not show up for the off season stuff.  If we have Burrow, having Green here will go a long way in helping him.  I personally wouldn't give him Julio money, but I'd try to sign him to a 3 year deal.  If they can't sign him to a reasonable contract for a 30+ year old receiver who has missed most of the past 2 seasons, then consider a tag and trade.  Sentimentally I want to keep him, but he may want out.  I want at least a top 40 pick for him.

What if Joe Mixon holds out for a big new contract?

Mixon could be a great back with even an average line.  But is a back worth big money?  Especially in a pass first league?  Has he put his "college issues" behind him enough to get back what he would be worth?

Has Eifert earned a new contract?

If you told me he would have played the whole season back in September I would not have believed it.  But he's been used so sparingly he's been practically invisible, and hasn't made the kind of catches he has previously been known for.  I think you let him go and wish him well.

Do you try to trade Dunlap and/or Atkins?

Can you get enough in return for the 2 aging stars of the defense to make it worth trading them?  Geno has a chance to be a Hall of Fame player, is he worth keeping because of that?  If you decide Chase Young is the guy it makes trading Dunlap a lot easier decision.  If we can get a 2 for him I might do it anyway.

What to do with the coaching staff?

I doubt Taylor is going anywhere.  But what about Turner? Or Anarumo? Can Duffner take over the defense?  Are any coaches who are about to get fired upgrades to anyone on our staff, and willing to come?

How do you replace Bullock?

I don't know if there are any kickers in this draft worth taking.  Good kickers don't often make free agency, the cost/value ratio is too good.  So anything they do is likely to be a gamble on some level, but despite his kick today, he's not the answer for what we are trying to build.

Free agents?

If they let Dalton and Glenn go they will have a ton of cap money.  They need to change their philosophy this year.  A couple of smart free agent moves and this team could be much more competitive.  And they have too many needs to be able to address them all in the draft this year.  They need a WR, CB, LB, and an OL or 2, and a kicker, not to mention better overall depth.

What would you add?  What do you disagree with?

Just now, High School Harry said:

A little OT but do we put A.J. on IR for the final week,

perhaps WJIII and MacRae, too, and raid another team's

practice squad for a promising linebacker or O linemen to

bring into our camp next year?

That sounds like a good idea, kind of ruthless too..  I like it but it also sounds totally out of character for this team.

Snippets of Dehner Jr from the Athletic:

The Bengals don’t have enough talent right now. They don’t yet have coaches who are experienced enough. Really, Sunday was an emphatic reminder of those facts.

They need to be aggressive in acquiring that talent. The coaching staff needs to see some real growth from the lessons of the last 12 months.

Here’s the thing, though: The Bengals get credit for making the game interesting, but only because they played so poorly to be down 23 to the tank-train Dolphins in the fourth quarter — the team that set an NFL record by fielding 80 different players this season.

As was the case for much of this season, they were a mess of problems and showed embarrassing levels of inefficiency.

For Mike Brown, Duke Tobin and the entire Bengals front office, this day needs to be a lasting memory.

This team isn’t a Burrow away from accomplishing anything.

The Bengals may have fight and a culture that can turn into something. But if they don’t properly reset the roster, Burrow’s arrival and development will be inconsequential and more stories will be about fighting to the end of a loss like it was Sunday.

No quarterback can fix this.

No one draft can fix this

Sunday still needed to leave an unforgettable statement to the front office that the roster needs to be torn apart and rebuilt and free agency needs to be part of the equation.

Let the fourth quarter be a lesson of the need to aggressively fix what’s happened during the first three.

Living by a philosophy that free agency isn’t the way to find sustainable success in the NFL is fine. And it’s true. But there are unique circumstances in any philosophy where deviating is necessary to get back on track.

This season — and getting embarrassed for three quarters in South Florida — should leave no doubt. Don’t put it all on a quarterback pick. Especially a rookie quarterback.

Give the players and this culture a fighting chance. If you do, crazy things can happen. Maybe not as crazy and confusing as Sunday, but crazy things.

I'll try to take in order:

IF Mikey signs an impact FA LB or OL I'm all for taking Burrow #1, otherwise I'd just as soon trade down for picks and rebuild the oline and lb corps

If they take Burrow, trade Dalton and use the pick you get for him on oline

I'd do whatever it takes to keep AJ, he's been a class act

I think Mixon has earned a big pay raise, tho if you give him ALOT of $$$ you may be forced into Trading Andy and drafting Burrow regardless. It would give Burrow  nice security blanket

I'd resign Eifert

No trading Dunlap or Atkins, I'd don't think you will get much plus I'd like to see them retire in stripes

I'd can Turner and get rid of Taylor as O coordinator. With Anarumo, I don't know how you can judge him with the dumpster fire at LB

Draft a kicker late

See #! as far as free agent. I would try to extend Hubbard tho

2 hours ago, gupps said:

I'll try to take in order:

IF Mikey signs an impact FA LB or OL I'm all for taking Burrow #1, otherwise I'd just as soon trade down for picks and rebuild the oline and lb corps

If they take Burrow, trade Dalton and use the pick you get for him on oline

I think Mixon has earned a big pay raise, tho if you give him ALOT of $$$ you may be forced into Trading Andy and drafting Burrow regardless. It would give Burrow  nice security blanket

I'd resign Eifert

No trading Dunlap or Atkins, I'd don't think you will get much plus I'd like to see them retire in stripes

I'd can Turner and get rid of Taylor as O coordinator. With Anarumo, I don't know how you can judge him with the dumpster fire at LB

Draft a kicker late

See #! as far as free agent. I would try to extend Hubbard tho

This is pretty good.   If they went the trade down for big uglies route, I would still probably go get someone like Mariotta or maybe Bridewater.  I think its time to part ways with Dalton.   See if a change in scenery works for Marcus or if Bridgewater can be the #1 here.  There is no substitute for actual NFL experience at QB. 

Last year Jackson barely averaged 130 yards total offense per game.  This year it is around 290.   

Trade Dalton and Glenn.

Resign AJ and Eifert.

Draft Burrow and the BPA in every other round as this roster can use talent everywhere. 

Sign the best possible LB and OL talent in FA. 

As for the coaches I don't think there will be much change as it not like Taylor has an extensive network of proven coaches that want to work under him, if that was the case then the Bengals wouldn't have the current staff that they have now.

3 hours ago, gupps said:

I think this is part of what's wrong with this franchise, we've been too loyal.  While AJ is probably the greatest Bengals WR of all-time, he's been injured and missed significant time 4 out of the past 5 years, and he's over 30.  Paying him at a position that hasn't traditionally won Superbowls seems crazy to me (who's the last great WR to win a SB?).  WR is one of those positions where, IMO, you get quality depth and you find guys that can do different things.  If we went into next season with Boyd, Tate, Ross, another speed guy b/c you can't count on Ross, like a John Brown and another good WR that can do a little of everything like a Nelson Agular (I'm not really a fan of his), I think you could win a lot of football games. 

13 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I would consider playing the Giants against the Redskins for Young. Tell the Redskins the Giants have a solid offer to trade down to #1, see if the Skins bite and move up 1 pick and maybe get a 3rd or 4th rounder for the trade. 

I think we should put the narrative out there that we're taking Young, whether we want him or not.  He's the "best" player in this draft and every team could use him.  If one of the teams in the top 5 want him, come get him and we probably would still get Burrow.  Of the other top five teams right now, Skins (Haskins), Lions (Stafford), Giant (Jones), Fins (Fitz), only the Lions and Fins would possibly take Burrow.  Fins may still take Tua even if Burrow is there and who knows how the Lions feels about Stafford.  We could probably move to five and still get Burrow and if he's gone, you take the tackle from Georgia and hopefully you've got a bunch of other picks to play with.

17 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

I think we should put the narrative out there that we're taking Young, whether we want him or not.  He's the "best" player in this draft and every team could use him.  If one of the teams in the top 5 want him, come get him and we probably would still get Burrow.  Of the other top five teams right now, Skins (Haskins), Lions (Stafford), Giant (Jones), Fins (Fitz), only the Lions and Fins would possibly take Burrow.  Fins may still take Tua even if Burrow is there and who knows how the Lions feels about Stafford.  We could probably move to five and still get Burrow and if he's gone, you take the tackle from Georgia and hopefully you've got a bunch of other picks to play with.

This is already too complicated for the Inbreds. I still recall a draft a few years back when they were talking to Jerry Jones and they asked him if he had contacted the Bengals about trading spots and he actually started laughing. Said something about always wanteing too much and taking too long to decide.

Firstly, good write ups and discussion.

This is definitely not an easy decision on the draft pick. Mayfield, Darnold, and Rosen all taken before Jackson. Is Burroughs a can't miss?  I personally don't feel as positive about him as I did Carson. Chase feels like the can't miss. Trading down seems like it usually is the best choice. But what if Burroughs turns into the franchise QB that the Bengals passed on. It'd be a dream if NYG moved into 1 to get Young.

That's the cheery on top of all the other issues you all identified.

Seems to be some decent LB FAs for 2020, but not OL.

IMO 

Resign:

AJ, there are so many throws the current WR whiffed on that he would've caught. And his attitude is consistent with the supposed new culture.

Eifert, he's earned it

Pay Mixon! He's earned it and again he fits the personality of the new culture. 

No trades

Upgrade the coaching staff. After this season, no one's job should be guaranteed. Exception would be the special teams staff.

Here's what I'd do as Mike Brown. Fire Tobin and the whole coaching staff. Hire a defensive oriented HC like Rivera or Ryan or Del Rio. Hire Joe Brady as OC and Art Briles Sr as QB coach. He needs redeeming and is a good coach. 

Give AJ Green the non-exclusive tag. 

We have a lot of deadwood that needs to be pruned. I'd shop these players but don't expect trade offers so we'll most likely just cut them. Bobby Hart, Cordy Glenn, Andy Dalton, CJ Uzomah, and Gio Bernard. We're currently scheduled to be 62 mil under the cap for 2002 plus will have 13 mil in carryover. The cuts will add 41 mil then the tag will cost about 18. So we'd go into free agency with 98 mil in cap space. At this point we don't know who will be tagged or re-signed by other teams.

But I'd look for a couple of LBs and a RT in free agency. Guys like Littleton, Barrett, Schobert, or Pierre-Louis. Conklin or Humphries for tackle. We could add another O-lineman or maybe someone like Clowney. The point is we have plenty to spend, despite what Hobson will say. I'd also be looking to give Mixon and WJ3 new deals, re-sign Dennard, and keep an eye open for an upgrade from Kirkpatrick. 

Then take Burrow with pick 1 and likely a WR with pick 33.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Here's what I'd do as Mike Brown. Fire Tobin and the whole coaching staff. Hire a defensive oriented HC like Rivera or Ryan or Del Rio. Hire Joe Brady as OC and Art Briles Sr as QB coach. He needs redeeming and is a good coach. 

We have a lot of deadwood that needs to be pruned. I'd shop these players but don't expect trade offers so we'll most likely just cut them. Bobby Hart, Cordy Glenn, Andy Dalton, CJ Uzomah, and Gio Bernard. We're currently scheduled to be 62 mil under the cap for 2002 plus will have 13 mil in carryover. The cuts will add 41 mil then the tag will cost about 18. So we'd go into free agency with 98 mil in cap space. At this point we don't know who will be tagged or re-signed by other teams.

But I'd look for a couple of LBs and a RT in free agency. Guys like Littleton, Barrett, Schobert, or Pierre-Louis. Conklin or Humphries for tackle. We could add another O-lineman or maybe someone like Clowney. The point is we have plenty to spend, despite what Hobson will say. I'd also be looking to give Mixon and WJ3 new deals, re-sign Dennard, and keep an eye open for an upgrade from Kirkpatrick. 

only problem, once you cut/trade all those players , who says any FA wants to come here?  if you way overpay them there goes your cap space.  Dalton costs minor to keep , Gio has always played his ass off , the other 3 meh tradebait/camp bodies

12 hours ago, sparky151 said:

1. Brady isn’t coming here after being at New Orleans.   I agree on the coaching and Tobin but my inner “Numbers” knows not much will happen there. 

2. You can’t cut both Glenn and Hart. Need a backup at least  Hart has been OK this year and shows up to work. When Glenn plays he is decent but the whole concussion thing was odd.  Trade or release him. The interior line was the bigger issue. Interior run blocking was horrible.  

3.  FAs like Clowney will have better options at better clubs.  Could overpay for some B level FAs though which is how FA should work anyways.  B level LBs would make an immediate impact. 

4. There are always decent WRs in FA.  Don’t waste pick 33 on one.  Maybe try to trade Ross?   Thinking out loud on that one. 

5. QB or Chase Young?  Man that is a tough decision.  A healthy Tua would make it a no brainer for me.  Trevor Lawrence would make it a no brainer. I just keep seeing Jamarcus Russell.    Guy was handed a ridiculously talented roster. The fact it took 5 years for Burrow to get it out makes me pause.  Marcus Mariota is only 3 years older. 

I don't want to say the situation with Whitworth led to all of this....

The situation with Whitworth led to all of this.

We've spent desperation picks and made desperation moves to replace him and bolster the O-Line since he left and with each failure have dug ourselves deeper into this hole.

Oh the Ogb and Fisher draft set this franchise back at least 5 years.....there's just no way around that. 

Idiot John Ross surely didn't help either. I blame that one on Mike Brown though....that was soley his call, IMO. 100%.

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

Idiot John Ross surely didn't help either. I blame that one on Mike Brown though....that was soley his call, IMO. 100%.

For the life of me I never understood this pick. He was the luxury choice for a trailer park franchise.

Dalton needs to go.  He's not good enough to be starting in the league and his crying mentality (being demoted on his birthday, criticizing fans who correctly want a #1 pick to replace his sorry ass) show that he isn't willing to work to stay in the league.

Zero playoff wins

1 playoff TD pass

Greatest moment as a professional was getting the Bills into the playoffs.

Cut the bum. 

3 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

I don't want to say the situation with Whitworth led to all of this....

The situation with Whitworth led to all of this.

We've spent desperation picks and made desperation moves to replace him and bolster the O-Line since he left and with each failure have dug ourselves deeper into this hole.

Pretty much, but they let the OL decay even before he left.  The draft in general has pretty much been a disaster & we're left with only a handful of guys with any business starting for an NFL team.   

I dont think the Brown Family Trust really gives a shit so long as they have 30-odd guys to fill out their jerseys on Sundays.   Everything they do screams "going through the motions" to me.

Archived