Decisions the Bengals need to make the next few months

3 hours ago, spicoli said:

Oh the Ogb and Fisher draft set this franchise back at least 5 years.....there's just no way around that. 

Idiot John Ross surely didn't help either. I blame that one on Mike Brown though....that was soley his call, IMO. 100%.

The bad OL picks were made worse by the lack of admission and the lack of going into free agency to make up for it. Pick bad players, let go the good player then hand the job to the bad player. Oh the humanity!

but have no fear, Mikey “knows a lot about football”

On 12/23/2019 at 8:19 PM, stryker57 said:

only problem, once you cut/trade all those players , who says any FA wants to come here?  if you way overpay them there goes your cap space.  Dalton costs minor to keep , Gio has always played his ass off , the other 3 meh tradebait/camp bodies

Overpaying stiffs is the Bengals way and part of why they claim they can't afford to shop for good players in free agency. Dalton should be a backup QB in the NFL, not a starter. He's not worth 17 mil as a backup when we could get someone else for 5 or 6 mil. Paying Bobby Hart 6 mil makes him too expensive to keep around as a backup. He's not good enough to start. Veteran backup tackles cost 2 mil or less. Likewise with Gio. He's a quality human being but it's time to get some of the other players more work behind Mixon instead of paying 5 mil for a backup. Mixon should get 8 mil per year or so on a new deal. 

It's better to overpay good players than bad ones. 

On 12/26/2019 at 1:44 PM, sparky151 said:

Overpaying stiffs is the Bengals way and part of why they claim they can't afford to shop for good players in free agency. Dalton should be a backup QB in the NFL, not a starter. He's not worth 17 mil as a backup when we could get someone else for 5 or 6 mil. Paying Bobby Hart 6 mil makes him too expensive to keep around as a backup. He's not good enough to start. Veteran backup tackles cost 2 mil or less. Likewise with Gio. He's a quality human being but it's time to get some of the other players more work behind Mixon instead of paying 5 mil for a backup. Mixon should get 8 mil per year or so on a new deal. 

It's better to overpay good players than bad ones. 

your pay scale is probably close , but thats what contending teams will pay, the bengals will mostlikely  only get players to sign that either get way more then 25 other teams would pay them . figure double, either that or no other team is offering them anything which means they suck or are just showing up for the money.   thats why they paid Hart 6 mil, not cause he's worth it,, that was probably the best they could get for that price.     

Mainly what i am trying to point out is if they have any other opportunity they just dont come here. sometimes even when we are offering more.  Sadly we are just a bargaining tool for agents to get more from the other team And after watching this Sideshow for 20-30 years somedays i cant really blame them. 

it is not that i am saying i disagree or its a bad idea I am more saying dont  cut just to get cap room because there is no guarantee they will get someone to replace without spending more or equal money,  for equal or lesser talent(or attitude issues) hell theres no guarantee they'll even use the cap space.     

I'm watching College Gameday. Not just there, but EVERYONE is swinging on Burrow's nuts. He's had a great season, to be sure. And he seems like a great kid.

Just one thing. Can you match the QB to these stats?

Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate

QB 11 374 643 58.2 5140 8.0 8.3 54 20 146.8
        QB 10 278 497 55.9 3388 6.8 6.4 29 17 125.6

QB 11 108 200 54.0 1385 6.9 6.7 13 7 126.6
        QB 12 215 371 58.0 3763 10.1 10.9 32 8 167.3

QB 12 221 377 58.6 2717 7.2 6.5 13 12 124.2
        QB 13 309 489 63.2 3942 8.1 8.5 33 10 149.1

QB 13 219 379 57.8 2894 7.6 7.9 16 5 133.2
        QB 13 342 439 77.9 4715 10.7 12.3 48 6 201.5

My point is - with this staff, and with this O-line - does anyone really think he would be successful here? I wish he would be, and I hope he will be - but my confidence in this team is in the toilet right now.

Just now, Cat said:

I'm watching College Gameday. Not just there, but EVERYONE is swinging on Burrow's nuts. He's had a great season, to be sure. And he seems like a great kid.

Just one thing. Can you match the QB to these stats?

QB 11 374 643 58.2 5140 8.0 8.3 54 20 146.8
        QB 10 278 497 55.9 3388 6.8 6.4 29 17 125.6

QB 11 108 200 54.0 1385 6.9 6.7 13 7 126.6
        QB 12 215 371 58.0 3763 10.1 10.9 32 8 167.3

QB 12 221 377 58.6 2717 7.2 6.5 13 12 124.2
        QB 13 309 489 63.2 3942 8.1 8.5 33 10 149.1

QB 13 219 379 57.8 2894 7.6 7.9 16 5 133.2
        QB 13 342 439 77.9 4715 10.7 12.3 48 6 201.5

My point is - with this staff, and with this O-line - does anyone really think he would be successful here? I wish he would be, and I hope he will be - but my confidence in this team is in the toilet right now.

Now, now don't be too negative about the team or some posters will demand you give up following . Stay the course, Mikey has a Master Plan! The re-build has started! In less than 5 years we will once again be losing first round playoff games, returning us to our former glory (hole). 

43 minutes ago, Cat said:

so they should what, forego the pick and just say fuck it?

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Another site is saying Bengals just signed Hopkins, 3 years at $20M

Hopkins is an excellent C, I'm actually gonna give them props for this one....well done. 

Now go out and find 3 more OL just like him.

OLine
Trey Hopkins
Billy Price
Michael Jordan
Jonah Williams
Fred Johnson
(2nd or 3rd Rd RT)
[3 or 4 of: Cordy Glenn, Bobby Hart, John Miller, John Jerry, Alex Redmond, O'Shea Dugas, Isaiah Prince, Draft Picvk, FA, UDFA(s)]

TE
CJ Uzomah
Drew Sample
[1 or 2 of: Tyler Eifort, Cethan Carter, Mason Schreck, Jordan Franks, Moritz Boeinger, Draft Pick, UDFA(s)]

WR
AJ Green (Tag) ***If Not Dealt***
Tyler Boyd
Alex Erickson
[3 o,or 4 f: John Ross, Auden Tate, Damon Willis, Stanley Morgan, Trent Irwin, DeMarkus Lodge, Cody Thompson, Draft Pick, UDFA(s)]

QB 
(1) Joe Burrow
Andy Dalton (or) Ryan Finley ***One kept/one dealt*** 
FA (if Dalton dealt)
Joe Dolegala
[UDFA]

RB 
Joe Mixon
Gio Bernard
Traveon Williams
Rodney Anderson
[UDFA(s)]

DT
Geno Atkins
[3 or 4 of: Andrew Billings, Ryan Glasgow, Renell Wren, Josh Tupou, Niles Scott, Freedom Akinmoladun, Draft Pick, FA, UDFA(s)]

DE
Carlos Dunlap
Sam Hubbard
Carl Lawson
[1 or 2 of: Andrew Brown, Kerry Wynn, Davin Bellamy, Draft Pick, FA, UDFA(s)]

LB
Germaine Pratt
(2nd or 3rd Rd Draft Pick)
[4 or 5 of: Nick Vigil, Jordan Evans, Hardy Nickerson, LeRoy Reynolds, Brady Sheldon, Draft Pick, FA, UDFA(s)]

CB
William Jackson
Darqueze Dennard
Darius Phillips 
[2 or 3 of: Dre Kirkpatrick, BW Webb, Tony McRae, Greg Mabin, Torry McTyer, FA, Draft Pick(s), UDFA(s)

Safety
Shawn Williams
Jessie Bates
Clayton Fedjelem
Brandon Wilson
[1 or 0 of: Trayvon Henderson, FA, Draft Pick, UDFA(s)]

PK
Randy Bullock
[FA, UDFA]

P
Kevin Huber 
[Kaare Vedvik]

LS
Clark Harris

[UDFA]

Mixon sends a shot across the bow:

Joe Mixon closed out the regular season by setting a career high in rushing yards as the Bengals beat the Browns to improve their record to 2-14 on the year.

That makes three losing records in Mixon’s three years with the team, but that hasn’t soured him on sticking around for the long term. Mixon is able to negotiate a contract extension for the first time this offseason and said he’d like to get the ball rolling on that front.

“I want to be a Bengal for life,” Mixon said, via the Cincinnati Enquirer. “I haven’t really thought about an extension. Right now is definitely the time to start getting into it. I don’t know much about the extension part. I just have to go in and hopefully we work something out. I just wish for the best. The ball is in their court, not mine.”

Mixon’s production surged over the second half of the season and he gave credit to the work done by the offensive line over the course of the season for helping him perform at a higher level. If the Bengals believe that things can continue to get better with more time together, Mixon may get the contract talks he’s looking for.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/31/joe-mixon-definitely-the-time-to-start-getting-into-extension-talks/

Archived