Decisions the Bengals need to make the next few months

38 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Theres no way the Bengals are trading down with a franchise QB right there waiting for them. Not a chance in hell theyre passing up that opportunity. 

agreed.. Mikey turned down a whole teams draft for #3 to pick Akili Smith. No way he is passing on Burrow

Regardless of talent, I would only want to bring back players who are all in and willing to bust their asses for the success of the team.  There are players on the team like that, but I don't perceive that AJ Green is one of them.  I'm not his doctor and I don't have access to his medical records, but does anyone believe that injury had to keep him out the entire season?  I'd be interested to know how his teammates view him at this point.

2 hours ago, Bleeds Orange said:

Regardless of talent, I would only want to bring back players who are all in and willing to bust their asses for the success of the team.  There are players on the team like that, but I don't perceive that AJ Green is one of them.  I'm not his doctor and I don't have access to his medical records, but does anyone believe that injury had to keep him out the entire season?  I'd be interested to know how his teammates view him at this point.

I'd tag him, but the first team to pony up a #1 owns him.

I might consider bringing him back next year and the try dealing him for a 1st or 2nd Rd pick at next year's deadline (they can get a 2021 3rd Rd comp by letting him walk right now.

23 minutes ago, snarkster said:

I might consider bringing him back next year and the try dealing him for a 1st or 2nd Rd pick at next year's deadline (they can get a 2021 3rd Rd comp by letting him walk right now.

if they let AJ walk then expect no  quality signings in FA or they will lose the 3rd rounder. 

The moment AJ said he wanted to play for a contender at this point in his career is all you need to know.

It's a far cry from him saying he wanted to be a Bengal for life.

He doesn't want to be franchised.

I'd say take the best offer and move on from him.

Sign another low end WR1 for less money.

Going against the grain here and I'm not really sure what is going on but...

Sign A.J. to a three year contract.  He will be happy, the fans love him (including me) and a nice,

stable veteran target for Athens Joe to throw to.  I think A.J. will be a real asset to the development

of Bayou Burrow.

Sign Joe Mixon to a well paid and well earned contract extension sooner rather than later and avoid

the contract year happy horse shit we usually have.

Trade Cordy Glenn and John Loss III.  Throw in Dre Kirkpatrick.

Subtractions of distractions.

This is for starters and do able at this time.

Nice to speculate about adding coaches (Callahan et al) but that is making the

assumption they would want to come here and work under a head coach young enough

to be their son.

I would like to see going into next year with as few distractions as possible giving Athens Joe,

the Bayou Bengal as much change to succeed as possible.

On 12/31/2019 at 10:40 AM, Duluoz said:

I know this is heresy, but any idea how many picks Cinci could accumulate by trading down? There's going to be a feeding frenzy for Burrow and Young and teams will overpay when that happens.

I'll reply to myself.....

CBS Sports thinks the Miami Dolphins might be willing to offer 2020 Nos. 5, 18, 25 and 2021 fourth for No. 1.

That is a shitload of new talent for a franchise starving for talent, and I would take a good, long look at such an offer if I'm Mike Brown.

Who could trade up for Joe Burrow at No. 1, and what such a move would cost

44 minutes ago, Duluoz said:

CBS Sports thinks the Miami Dolphins might be willing to offer 2020 Nos. 5, 18, 25 and 2021 fourth for No. 1.

That is a shitload of new talent for a franchise starving for talent, and I would take a good, long look at such an offer if I'm Mike Brown.

No deal. There some other offers based on various trade charts which included future first rounders. If we pass on Burrow, we'd better be in position to draft Tua or amass picks for next year. 

It's simpler just to take Burrow and fix the other positions than fix the other positions and try to find a high end QB.

6 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Going against the grain here and I'm not really sure what is going on but...

Sign A.J. to a three year contract.  He will be happy, the fans love him (including me) and a nice,

stable veteran target for Athens Joe to throw to.  I think A.J. will be a real asset to the development

of Bayou Burrow.

Sign Joe Mixon to a well paid and well earned contract extension sooner rather than later and avoid

the contract year happy horse shit we usually have.

Trade Cordy Glenn and John Loss III.  Throw in Dre Kirkpatrick.

Subtractions of distractions.

This is for starters and do able at this time.

Nice to speculate about adding coaches (Callahan et al) but that is making the

assumption they would want to come here and work under a head coach young enough

to be their son.

I would like to see going into next year with as few distractions as possible giving Athens Joe,

the Bayou Bengal as much change to succeed as possible.

Taylor should be fired but clearly isn't going to be. He should be out in the market recruiting better assistants. Add Callahan for the O-line. Kris Richard for the secondary. Joe Brady or Art Briles for QB. Lots of possible DCs who are miles better than Anarumo.

1 minute ago, sparky151 said:

Taylor should be fired but clearly isn't going to be. He should be out in the market recruiting better assistants. Add Callahan for the O-line. Kris Richard for the secondary. Joe Brady or Art Briles for QB. Lots of possible DCs who are miles better than Anarumo.

For DC I think they should bring in the DC from Ohio University.

Joe Burrow's father.

Seriously, saying bring in this coach or that coach all sounds well and good

but 1) will they come and 2) how well would the fit, work with the rest of the staff

implementing the system.  oops...

1 minute ago, High School Harry said:

For DC I think they should bring in the DC from Ohio University.

Joe Burrow's father.

Seriously, saying bring in this coach or that coach all sounds well and good

but 1) will they come and 2) how well would the fit, work with the rest of the staff

implementing the system.  oops...

Of course they will come if they are paid enough. The Bengals are an NFL team and should be able to pay more than colleges and enough to get unemployed coaches to come here. We're not talking about hiring Belichick or Reid. 

44 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

No deal. There some other offers based on various trade charts which included future first rounders. If we pass on Burrow, we'd better be in position to draft Tua or amass picks for next year. 

It's simpler just to take Burrow and fix the other positions than fix the other positions and try to find a high end QB.

Food for thought.,..

Jack Thompson

David Klingler

Akili Smith

3 minutes ago, Duluoz said:

Food for thought.,..

Jack Thompson

David Klingler

Akili Smith

Yes, there are misses. But there are misses in other rounds too. Let's not pretend that this team is gonna hit the next Boomer as opposed to the next Dalton if they trade back. You take Burrow because he represents the best chance at finding a franchise changer at QB. Far better than Fromm in round 3 (shudders and vomits). 

2 minutes ago, Duluoz said:

David Klingler

Akili Smith

Lol those two never should have been first round picks. They both had huge red flags coming out and the Bengals chose to ignore those flags and take them anyway. That's 100% on them for those fuck ups. 

Zero red flags on Burrow though. Just throwing that out there. 

15 minutes ago, membengal said:

Yes, there are misses. But there are misses in other rounds too. Let's not pretend that this team is gonna hit the next Boomer as opposed to the next Dalton if they trade back. You take Burrow because he represents the best chance at finding a franchise changer at QB. Far better than Fromm in round 3 (shudders and vomits). 

Yep, there are misses, which is exactly why you should consider getting multiple picks for trading away the #1....you're hedging your bet, vs going all in on Burrow.

3 hours ago, Duluoz said:

When did the fish go and hire Hue?  I'd do that in a heartbeat, but they'd just say, "So long and thanks for all the fish!"

2 hours ago, Duluoz said:

Yep, there are misses, which is exactly why you should consider getting multiple picks for trading away the #1....you're hedging your bet, vs going all in on Burrow.

Yup. All in. I don’t want any bets hedged when it comes to QB. I want the best QB. That’s Burrow. 

3 minutes ago, Duluoz said:

The NFL Draft is littered with the wreckage of "can't miss" QB picks....I know Joe Burrow looks fantastic, but so did all the following 50 guys:

50 Biggest Quarterback Busts in NFL Draft History

And is littered with ones who worked out. I want to push the chips in for a change rather than running scared. 

Archived