Decisions the Bengals need to make the next few months

3 minutes ago, membengal said:

And is littered with ones who worked out. I want to push the chips in for a change rather than running scared. 

My point is you're almost as likely to get a franchise QB in the 2nd or 3rd round (or even 6th !) as you are the 1st. Going all-in with Joe Burrow might be tempting, but if I owned the Bengals I'd listen closely to any offer of multiple early-round picks.

2 minutes ago, membengal said:

In 2012 the colts should definitely have traded back and instead of taking Andrew Luck grabbed justin Blackmon, Shea McClellan and Riley Reiff and then grabbed Brock Osweiler in round 2. That would have been shrewd.

It's hit and miss isn't it? Sometimes it works out, sometimes not....hey, I hope Joe Burrow is the next Joe Montana, but the odds are he'll be the next Heath Shuler.,

More recently, Kansas City and Baltimore should have traded down rather than taking

Mahones and Lamar Jackson.  They would have had more picks and it would have worked

out better for them in the long run.  I mean, look where they are now taking those two guys

rather than trading down?

Take Joe and get on with it.

39 minutes ago, membengal said:

In 1998 the Colts should definitely have traded back and taken Curtis Enis, vonnie holiday and mo Collins and then grabbed Charlie batch in round two, instead of gambling on Peyton Manning...

Well, they almost gambled on Ryan Leaf.  Also, it took Burrow 5 years and 2 different teams to finally have that breakout season.  Manning was awesome for 3 straight. 

1 hour ago, membengal said:

In 2012 the colts should definitely have traded back and instead of taking Andrew Luck grabbed justin Blackmon, Shea McClellan and Riley Reiff and then grabbed Brock Osweiler in round 2. That would have been shrewd.

Or they could have simply kept Manning and possibly won another Super Bowl?   Luck won them what exactly? He did make it to 1 AFC Championship where they got utterly humiliated by the Patriots 45-7.   Better than Andy but not all that. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Here are the QBs picked in the top 10 since 2005.  Some studs, some average and some dudes.  The list of great ones isn't really that long but plenty of ok starters. 

http://pfref.com/tiny/Uyy4f

Roughly half that list are upgrades over Dalton.

It gets interesting when you focus on top three overall as your criteria, generally teams aren’t missing there.

8 minutes ago, Duluoz said:

Probably, but what else is there to talk about until April?

Hopefully they’ll be some personnel and coaching movement between now and late April. 

If not, yeah, we’re all gonna end up murdering each other with words ‘round here.

43 minutes ago, spicoli said:

They’re not passing on Burrow. This conversation is pointless. 

True. But the team should consider a big trade IF they did not grade Burrows as an elite guy worth the #1 pick.  Problem is, I don't trust this crack scouting staff to grade any other QB properly or to fully utilize additional picks if they did trade down.

On 12/24/2019 at 5:22 PM, tibor75 said:

Dalton needs to go.  He's not good enough to be starting in the league and his crying mentality (being demoted on his birthday, criticizing fans who correctly want a #1 pick to replace his sorry ass) show that he isn't willing to work to stay in the league.

Zero playoff wins

1 playoff TD pass

Greatest moment as a professional was getting the Bills into the playoffs.

Cut the bum. 

Bro, did you and Dalton go on a Camping trip, and you woke up with your pants around your ankles and a sore behind? 🤣🤣

19 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

I mean...including ONLY busts is no way to calculate odds. By your calculations and set of evidence provided, no team, ever, should draft a quarterback in the first round.

But there are so many freakin' 1st round QB bust, and each of the QBs in the list above would easily be worth what the Miami Dolphins are theoretically willing to offer 2020 Nos. 5, 18, 25 and 2021 fourth for No. 1. Some were major busts, some just semi-busts.

Joe Burrow may or may not be a productive NFL QB....my point is taking him with the #1 pick shouldn't be a slam-dunk. If picks are offered, Cincy should listen.

5 minutes ago, spicoli said:

But they won’t though. You know this. 

right.. just looks at this and what they turned down....for #3 to pick Akili, Burrow is a much better prospect than he was.

• All of the Saints’ 1999 draft picks
  • A first-round pick in 2000
  • A first-round pick in 2001
  • A second-round pick 2002

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/6/12/17451348/cincinnati-bengals-trade-saints-ricky-williams-akili-smith

39 minutes ago, spicoli said:

But they won’t though. You know this. 

Agreed. But the lesson from the Akili debacle is they at SHOULD listen. 

As to who they would look at if they did not grade Burrows #1 - no idea. i simply don't trust this rag tag scouting staff to consistently grade players well enough to land better picks overall.

Archived