Decisions the Bengals need to make the next few months

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

For those who still struggle with the idea that change HAS to come from the top, see the attached vision for the 49ers starting in 2017. Do you think Mikey and the Inbreds could ever prepare such a vision?

Honestly? Yes.

It's not that I think the post-Paul Brown family has ever shown itself to be competent. It's that the "vision" depicted is incredibly basic shit. Change a few words to fit just whatever career path and I could imagine seeing that in just about any office break room.

3 minutes ago, OU_Stripes said:

Honestly? Yes.

It's not that I think the post-Paul Brown family has ever shown itself to be competent. It's that the "vision" depicted is incredibly basic shit. Change a few words to fit just whatever career path and I could imagine seeing that in just about any office break room.

Two points. One, you actually don't see these type of statements in break rooms or staff rooms as frequently as one should. It is one of the things that separates good companies from everyday ones. Second point, you also have to EXECUTE to the vision and clealry the 49ers did this - they mapped out a vision and executed. Think of Mike Brown this way - everyone says 'he wants to win', OK so his vision is to win but he has NEVER executed on the vision. He has never done the things necessary to put the team in a position to consistently win and be a championship contender. I would be shocked if the Inbreds had any type of vision statement like the 49ers, let alone the capability to execute on it. 

7 hours ago, sparky151 said:

The Bengals (lack of) vision statement is to be competitive. Mike Brown has never gone on record as saying the team's goal is to win the Super bowl.

It's worse than that, he gets all mealy-mouthed whenever someone tries to press the issue with his "we're going to be competitive" prevaricating bullshit.   I think he believes success comes as some kind of cosmic reward for being an Extra Good Boy & beyond that it's all up to luck.  Granted I don't know the man but I see his organization making changes only as a result of outside forces (like pending fan mutiny re: Marvin, he even said so himself.)  Rarely has his team looked consistently prepared and focused towards a shared goal, and I agree that starts at the top.

13 hours ago, sparky151 said:

The Bengals (lack of) vision statement is to be competitive. Mike Brown has never gone on record as saying the team's goal is to win the Super bowl.

Every time I see the term "Vision Statement" (or "Philosophy") all I can think of is some lard ass, useless administrator trying to justify his job with bullshit by holding a useless meeting before going out to a two hour lunch while the peons return to their seat behind the oar while some ass kissing flunky pounds out ramming speed on the drum just for the hell of it.

3 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Every time I see the term "Vision Statement" (or "Philosophy") all I can think of is some lard ass, useless administrator trying to justify his job with bullshit by holding a useless meeting before going out to a two hour lunch while the peons return to their seat behind the oar while some ass kissing flunky pounds out ramming speed on the drum just for the hell of it.

Yeah, everytime I see stuff like that I always remember being in health class at my Catholic High School.  Talking human reproduction and this girl stood up and said, "The best birth control device is the word NO!"  Most of us started laughing and she got pissed.  My all star BMOC buddy finally chimed in, "Well, I guess its only Centerville girls then!"   That didn't not go over well with the teacher.

4 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Check your calendar and make sure you made it into this century. Most studies done find that between 65-75% of employees are not engaged in their jobs. Employees that are not engaged are not productive and worse they tend to negatively influence other workers. So it is the job of business leaders in today's world to try an engage them, break down silos and barriers and try and get everyone singing from the same songbook. 

Let me put it this way - if you (or anyone here) wanted to work for a football team would you rather work for the Pats or 49ers or the Bengals? Would you want to work for an organization that strives to be the best and all share in the accomplishment of the goal or one where you collect a paycheck and mumble about what a directionless ship you are on?

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Check your calendar and make sure you made it into this century. Most studies done find that between 65-75% of employees are not engaged in their jobs. Employees that are not engaged are not productive and worse they tend to negatively influence other workers. So it is the job of business leaders in today's world to try an engage them, break down silos and barriers and try and get everyone singing from the same songbook. 

Let me put it this way - if you (or anyone here) wanted to work for a football team would you rather work for the Pats or 49ers or the Bengals? Would you want to work for an organization that strives to be the best and all share in the accomplishment of the goal or one where you collect a paycheck and mumble about what a directionless ship you are on?

Oh I don't think anyone here disagrees, it just that too many of us have seen the ole "Vision Statement (insert year)"  in the corporate world about this time every year.   I most cases, it is simply words on a Powerpoint presentation that sound really super de duper awesome but never get implemented. 

"Contagious Competitiveness" , "Football IQ".   Nothing but talking points if the coaches and FO don't hold people accountable.   My guess is they do in 49er land but not so much here in Bengalville.

5 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Oh I don't think anyone here disagrees, it just that too many of us have seen the ole "Vision Statement (insert year)"  in the corporate world about this time every year.   I most cases, it is simply words on a Powerpoint presentation that sound really super de duper awesome but never get implemented. 

"Contagious Competitiveness" , "Football IQ".   Nothing but talking points if the coaches and FO don't hold people accountable.   My guess is they do in 49er land but not so much here in Bengalville.

Agree, as I mentioned a few posts ago you have to execute on the vision , not just state it. Although, I believe the Bengal vision is to make a nice annual amount for the family without taking nay risk and they execute on it quite well. 

6 hours ago, SF2 said:

Yeah, everytime I see stuff like that I always remember being in health class at my Catholic High School.  Talking human reproduction and this girl stood up and said, "The best birth control device is the word NO!"  Most of us started laughing and she got pissed.  My all star BMOC buddy finally chimed in, "Well, I guess its only Centerville girls then!"   That didn't not go over well with the teacher.

Let me guess, you’re a former Alter Knight?

12 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

Let me guess, you’re a former Alter Knight?

That would be correct.  Went to Centerville city schools thru 8th grade then got sent to Alter.  During one of the parent teacher conference "half days" in Middle School half my 8th grade class ended up throwing a huge party at someone's house while their parents were at work.  Well, someone found the liquor cabinet and we practically drained it.  It didn't go over well at school.   

My mom was aghast so she sent me to Alter thinking I needed a good Catholic education.   I really didn't have the heart to tell her the first time I got drunk was with a bunch of St Charles students at Ireland park the previous summer.  The St. Charles kids were like the Ohio University of the Catholic feeder system back in the day. 

8 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Spoken like a true administrator.  Blah blah blah statistics blah blah blah Insert buzz words here blah blah blah.

Total bullshit.

For the record, your employees laugh at you behind your back and your fellow administrators know you are a brown noser.

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

That would be correct.  Went to Centerville city schools thru 8th grade then got sent to Alter.  During one of the parent teacher conference "half days" in Middle School half my 8th grade class ended up throwing a huge party at someone's house while their parents were at work.  Well, someone found the liquor cabinet and we practically drained it.  It didn't go over well at school. I cut my teeth of blunts and forties, no shit.

My mom was aghast so she sent me to Alter thinking I needed a good Catholic education.   I really didn't have the heart to tell her the first time I got drunk was with a bunch of St Charles students at Ireland park the previous summer.  The St. Charles kids were like the Ohio University of the Catholic feeder system back in the day. 

I was a Corpus Christi guy, K-6...mom remarried and we moved to the west side, near Dunbar High School. For 7-8 grade mom wanted me to try Stivers out, on account of it being an arts magnet. I had this bizarre dichotomy of growing up in the hood with my catholic school buddies coming to hang with me and my west side homies on the weekend. 

To cap all that off, we moved to Kettering in time for ninth grade. 

I had three identity crises in as many years. It was a blast.

Most corporate jobs don't involve split-second athletic timing with 10 other people while 50k more scream for your head on a plate, & then the opposite 11 freaks of biology & science try to deliver it.  There's no locker room with dozens of 20-something degenerates trying to wrestle a live alligator for fun, either. 

In other words most of our jobs are completely different as far as the culture & style of leadership that's appropriate.   At least I hope your boss doesn't jog around yelling and blowing a whistle at you all day?

39 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Most corporate jobs don't involve split-second athletic timing with 10 other people while 50k more scream for your head on a plate, & then the opposite 11 freaks of biology & science try to deliver it.  There's no locker room with dozens of 20-something degenerates trying to wrestle a live alligator for fun, either. 

In other words most of our jobs are completely different as far as the culture & style of leadership that's appropriate.   At least I hope your boss doesn't jog around yelling and blowing a whistle at you all day?

are you not entertained russell crowe GIF

5 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Spoken like a true administrator.  Blah blah blah statistics blah blah blah Insert buzz words here blah blah blah.

Total bullshit.

For the record, your employees laugh at you behind your back and your fellow administrators know you are a brown noser.

They can laugh all the want, but I set the bonuses and if I have staff like you I punt them

2 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

They can laugh all the want, but I set the bonuses and if I have staff like you I punt them

Really?  Let me guess...Sales and/or Marketing?  In a technical field, I think HSH nailed it.  :)

<Dilbert cartoons in my head now>

5 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

No you wouldn't.

I'm the CEO and would downsize by terminating the paper generating bull shit artists bureaucrats 

who turn out verbiage instead of product.

Now run along and go to a meeting to justify your existence.  What administrators do best.

Those who can, do.  Those who can't become administrators.

Archived