Fred Johnson’s ascent is another sign Cordy Glenn is gone

usatsi_11448003.jpg?w=769&h=461&crop=1
19 hours ago

Fred Johnson was a small talking point when the Cincinnati Bengals added him off the waiver wire from the Pittsburgh Stealers back in mid-October.

Over the weekend though, Johnson became a bigger part of the plan than anticipated by soaking up nearly 70 percent of the snaps during the loss to the Miami Dolphins.

Which means the writing is on the wall for Cordy Glenn.

Zac Taylor told the media Johnson’s ascent is all about how good he’s looked in practice:

“He showed some positive signs. We’ll continue to give him more work this week. We’ll make a decision on how much that is, but he’s a young player that has done really well in practice. He did really well on the tapes we watched when we claimed him. He certainly has all of the size and the traits you look for in a tackle, so we felt that it’s important to evaluate him. He’s earned those reps, and he’ll earn some more reps against Cleveland.”

Johnson, a big rookie with upside the Stealers wanted to stash, didn’t even come off the field in overtime while manning left tackle. With the game on the line, coaches kept him in so he could prove himself.

From the sounds of it, Taylor and Co. saw what they wanted. Johnson isn’t a danger to supplant Jonah Williams when he’s healthy, obviously, but a backup swing role or even competing on the right side isn’t out of the question, which could change how the Bengals approach free agency and the draft.

As for Glenn, he’s got one more year left on his deal but cutting him doesn’t hurt the financials. After the impasse, suspension and eventual return, the relationship seems to have run its course.

I actually like Michael Jordan in the LG spot, I think he's got a bright future. Give him a full off-season to get stronger and I think they'll have that hole filled for good. 

Same with Hopkins at C, I think they found themselves a piece they can truly count on in that spot going forward.

RG and RT is where they need to focus on during the off-season. Although with the contract Hart got it's hard to imagine he's not starting again next year. 

22 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Fred Johnson’s ascent is another sign Cordy Glenn is gone

usatsi_11448003.jpg?w=769&h=461&crop=1
19 hours ago

Fred Johnson was a small talking point when the Cincinnati Bengals added him off the waiver wire from the Pittsburgh Stealers back in mid-October.

Over the weekend though, Johnson became a bigger part of the plan than anticipated by soaking up nearly 70 percent of the snaps during the loss to the Miami Dolphins.

Which means the writing is on the wall for Cordy Glenn.

Zac Taylor told the media Johnson’s ascent is all about how good he’s looked in practice:

“He showed some positive signs. We’ll continue to give him more work this week. We’ll make a decision on how much that is, but he’s a young player that has done really well in practice. He did really well on the tapes we watched when we claimed him. He certainly has all of the size and the traits you look for in a tackle, so we felt that it’s important to evaluate him. He’s earned those reps, and he’ll earn some more reps against Cleveland.”

Johnson, a big rookie with upside the Stealers wanted to stash, didn’t even come off the field in overtime while manning left tackle. With the game on the line, coaches kept him in so he could prove himself.

From the sounds of it, Taylor and Co. saw what they wanted. Johnson isn’t a danger to supplant Jonah Williams when he’s healthy, obviously, but a backup swing role or even competing on the right side isn’t out of the question, which could change how the Bengals approach free agency and the draft.

As for Glenn, he’s got one more year left on his deal but cutting him doesn’t hurt the financials. After the impasse, suspension and eventual return, the relationship seems to have run its course.

Didn't realize Johnson had progressed that well.  Would still look at drafting a RT in the 2nd or 3rd round.  Would love to have two young starting tackle with a 3rd that can swing between the right and left sides.

They should at least try to trade Glenn, cutting him should be the last resort.

Ideally they would keep Glenn on the roster as he's the best LT we have. One game vs. the Dolphins doesn't make Johnson better than Glenn. The Bengals have proven they will take less talented over more talented players  because they are cheaper and easier to control.

This notion that after one game they can say Johnson is hands down better than Glenn is laughable.

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

They should at least try to trade Glenn, cutting him should be the last resort.

Ideally they would keep Glenn on the roster as he's the best LT we have. One game vs. the Dolphins doesn't make Johnson better than Glenn. The Bengals have proven they will take less talented over more talented players  because they are cheaper and easier to control.

This notion that after one game they can say Johnson is hands down better than Glenn is laughable.

I tend to agree with this, we just don't know what the real fallout for Concussiongate is.    Once Glenn started playing, the left side of the line dramatically improved.  Keeping a happy and motivated to play Glenn would be a good thing but I am not sure where all of this stands. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

I tend to agree with this, we just don't know what the real fallout for Concussiongate is.    Once Glenn started playing, the left side of the line dramatically improved.  Keeping a happy and motivated to play Glenn would be a good thing but I am not sure where all of this stands. 

Glenn at $10M is far better value than Hart at $5M. I would look to keeping Glenn for his last contract year, drafting a RT with the second pick (and moving up if need be to target one) and letting Hart go. 

yeah he's absolutely the starting RT barring injury, IMO.

so if you think about it, they're probably set in their minds at RT, LT, C.

so that leaves them looking at G's. But Jordan will lock down the LG spot, IMO. 

So who's the new RG gonna be? Keep in mind Adams got decent money...

18 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

They cut bait with Preston Brown, they can do the same with Hart. He shouldn't be a starter since he sucks, and  they can find better players who are cheaper as street free agents. Just because the Bengals made the mistake of paying Bobby 6 mil per year doesn't mean he's worth that.

If they can get a better one I totally agree. Still, we need some backups at the position so I don't see Hart going anywhere even if they bring in a new guy.  Hart is a backup quality RT.  He isn't bad pass blocking  but he isn't going to help much in the run game which was painfully obvious.  

15 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

If everything that supposedly happened between Glenn and Turner is true, it’s hard to imagine him in stripes next year. As a matter of fact, one could imagine a grievance coming down the pike.

He's gone as of Sunday at 4:30 pm, I imagine he's already cleared out his personal belongings from the locker room. I wouldn't be surprised if he was inactive.

1 minute ago, PatternMaster said:

He's gone as of Sunday at 4:30 pm, I imagine he's already cleared out his personal belongings from the locker room. I wouldn't be surprised if he was inactive.

...or maybe Turner will be gone.   [We can dream.]

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

It would have to be team initiated.  Glenn has to be thinking he won't get another shot at $9.5 mil to play one year of football particularly for a team with lax standards. 

Archived