The What To Do With Boy Wonder Thread

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/12/27/21037825/cincinnati-bengals-zac-taylor-head-coach-nfl-black-monday-2019

This gets it started. Plenty of argument about "give him more time", with little debate over his actual qualifications. 

I figure he'll remain...and a position coach or two will be sacrificed to please the media. The coordinators will stay, as will Coach Restraining Order. 

48 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

My guess Zac will get at least one more year, whether he deserves it or not.

For whatever reason, and I see absolutely none, the players have bought into what Zac is selling so I think he stays at least one more year. Unlike up in Cleveland, where Freddie Kitchens can’t control all the egos on his team and the squeaking heads are calling for him to be gone.

Yeah he is locked in for one more year for sure. 

I can't buy into the culture change with Turner being on the staff so I call bluff on that nonsense. 

The only way I see him not coming back is if they get completely embarrassed by the browns tomorrow. 

Who will be the #1 WR in 2021 draft? To pair with burrow after we tank again. 

Honestly they were both set up to fail from the get go. Both of them pretty much inherited the worst OL in the NFL

Sure you can bring up countless other reasons as to why they failed, but ultimately it all starts up front on the OL once you strip everything else away. 

He deserves at least one more year. The team was on a downward trajectory anyways and I doubt an experienced HC could have coaxed a winning record out of them. Now if they show little or no improvement next year then it may be time to show him the door.

It would be a terrible mistake to bring Taylor back for another year and hold Burrow's development back. Bengals shouldn't throw good money after bad and should just admit they made a mistake. This time we don't have to wait until after the Superbowl to hire a coach. Hire a former HC who wants back in. Someone who has had success in the past as a HC instead of someone trying to figure it out and whose mentor is Mike Sherman.

I mean, I feel like the anti-argument to everything espoused in this thread is pretty common sense-based:

1.) Rome wasn’t built in a day, neither are professional sports franchises necessarily able to turn around as quickly

2.) The players have bought in. I think it says something pretty important, that, in listening to post game interview, these guys are as matter of fact and upbeat as they are, despite that they have been playing for a flaming dumpster fire of a team.

3.)  No coach, regardless of the sheer number of amateur, armchair quarterbacks thinking they have shit precisely diagnosed against him, should only be given a single year to be successful. Go ahead, fire him. Hire the next schlub. Give him one year...maybe two if he manages to win four or five games. Then fire him. Wash, rinse, repeat. But, at some point you have to let a guy do a bit more personnel building, a little more cultural work...at least 2-3 seasons. 

With a stuck-in-the muck defensive minded codger in charge for the preceding eighteen seasons, a brand new collection of coaches, a couple pretty decimating injuries, is it any wonder we were able to only win four or five less games? Losing had turned into the norm here...even with good talent around the locker room. 

Meh, his players obviously saw something they liked because they played their asses off for him until the very end. His play calling was definitely a work in progress but he seemed to learn from his mistakes and made much better calls over the last 4-5 games or so. Improvement is really all you can ask for. 

On 12/28/2019 at 9:19 AM, Shebengal said:

For whatever reason, and I see absolutely none, the players have bought into what Zac is selling....

Zac's gift of gab is what got him hired in the first place...the man's a born salesman, and has done a great job of selling himself to his players. But getting your guys to play hard is at least half of coaching, and is probably more valuable than Xs ans Os, so let's give Zac credit for that.

Now..back to those Xs and Os....Zac was supposed to be an offense-minded mad scientist of sorts, but I've seen absolutely zero signs of that so far. If anything, his offense looks dull and uninspired. There are rumors he doesn't know what a quarterback sneak is.

But I'd give the guy at least one more year, just for continuity sake, if nothing else. There are times he seems capable, but that 2-14 record is hard to get past.

All I keep hearing is give him better "assistants" and better players and he'll be a better coach.

Funny, I thought good coaches got the most out of their players and helped elevate their assistants. Instead we need assistants to cover up Taylor's deficiencies.

Sure, it was still Marvin's roster... But that also gives us a good A/B test of how Taylor is as a coach.

If you look up to week 8, the playcalling was abysmal. +70% passing with Joe Mixon running the ball? The decision to start Finley was laughably bad. Hell, I could keep going.  I've watched 40 years of Bengals football, and that set a new bar for ineptitude and futility.

The point is, Zac Taylor, despite any reasons for being 2-14, did not show me that he has what it takes to run a successful NFL team. So... We want to see if he figures it out on the job? The same crap was spewed when it was Dave Shula. Record aside, he showed no preparedness, no real adherence to a scheme, no real talent for putting the best 11 guys on the field. 

I understand the need/desire to move on from Marvin, but I thought the idea was someone who could get us over the hump. Now it's a year later and we're all happy with a "rebuild" featuring the office temp?

Taylor is a bad coach. You can hope he gets better, if you want to.

Archived